Would you bring your parents/SO/etc to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestcoast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
haha, long story short, my car broke down tonight and I have an interview on Thurs. About 8 hrs drive away.
I could either rent a car or my mom offered to drive me (her insurance policy is sstupid so I can't borrow her car) (and I just had an interview at home town, so I'm staying at my parent's)
That might be a fun idea. Haven't hung out with my mom for a while.

My gf advised against it haha. I don't know. My mom's never been to that city before and she's heard good things about the food.

ps: obviously she isnt coming with me to the interview.

I don't what the taboo was all about. Stupid GF.. kids these days with all their definitions of cool and uncool...

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your parents aren't actually coming WITH you to the interview (or the pre-interview dinner), I don't see what the problem is. It's not like anyone stands around and keeps tabs on how each applicant is getting home. No one really cares whether you drive yourself, take a cab, take a bus, have someone else drive you home, or hitchhike.

It's definitely fine to ride with your Mom. People do travel with their parents for interviews on occasion because every once in awhile you hear of a parent being really awesome and kicking in to help a poor med student save some money on hotel/travel costs and join a student to spend a couple days in a fun city. Nothing wrong with having helpful and generous parents. I just definitely wouldn't bring a parent to any interview related function such as a pre-interview dinner.