Would you rather work for CVS or Walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
serious replies, please explain why, please no "neither", thx

Members don't see this ad.

Walgreens has fewer metrics and less corporate oversight. They prefer to automate things and don't make you do PCQ calls.

Reactions: 4 users
Same answer as 18 years ago, Walgreens. Less idiotic supervision, more conservative, more uniform store operations, better system support. Downsides: extremely unlikely to reach retirement compared with CVS, lower pay than CVS, terrible legal department compared with CVS, historical racism compared with CVS that took the acquisition to shake off.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CVS all the way. higher wages (nearly 10% in my trade area). They both will use and abuse you so why not get paid more. In my district there was absolutely no regard for customer service, it was all about cheating metrics, which was nice.

Take the higher paying offer and apply later at grocers

Reactions: 2 users
Heart Disease or Cancer?

Reactions: 3 users
I work for CVS and I'd rather work for Wags. Wags gives more vacation time and has a better computer system. My classmates who work for Wags seem to be on vacation all the time.

Their POS is more efficient with drop off and pickup both at the registers, and consult right next to verification. At CVS, customers wait in line at pick-up and are told "we can help you update that insurance at drop off" all day and customers get annoyed. At Wags you can do a consult without moving from your checking station. At CVS you have to drop everything you're doing and walk over to consult. Then when you walk back to your station, another customer pops up at consult and you have to walk back there.

Wags stores seem sparkly clean whereas many CVS stores are dirty and stinky because they use carpet and it never gets washed.

Giant douche or turd sandwich? Probably CVS after all the horror stories I've read on this forum. They apparently pay more and I like a good challenge.

In all seriousness, quality of life seems better with WAG in terms of work environment like others have mentioned: less running around workstations, more efficient workflow (not like the DMV/CVS), and overall computer system, less corporate metrics.

Trade off with CVS is slightly higher pay with a faster paced, more challenging workflow, more unrealistic metrics, & more 24 hour locations (if that matters for lifestyle/wanting to work nights).

I am familiar with both environments. CVS metrics aside, I think it really greatly depends on the particular store and particular DM/RM.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked for CVS but did my internship at Wags. I like Wags, particular the calling center. 90% of the phone calls that I get are Do I have a medication ready? Can you get this medication ready? How much is this medication? All of which can be answer by someone down in Florida or hell even India.

I worked for CVS but did my internship at Wags. I like Wags, particular the calling center. 90% of the phone calls that I get are Do I have a medication ready? Can you get this medication ready? How much is this medication? All of which can be answer by someone down in Florida or hell even India.
Only a select few stores have that form of centralization. I wish all did. Make the day go by more smoothly

I like wags since got luckily with former rph dm who doesn't meddle and make life a living hell for the pics who then don't lash out on us lowly staff rphs

Reactions: 1 user
Walgreens. Better company, less metrics, less micromanaging, better shifts/hours, better pay, better computer system, better workflow, better setup, better training, better techs and pharmacists. Better in every way. I actually loved Walgreens. I hated CVS with a passion.

Reactions: 2 users
Would you rather get stabbed in the left or right eye?

I would probably go with Walgreens. It does not have the man voice, “one call waiting”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
WAGS any day. CVS will offer slightly higher pay and maybe OT (no more OT at WAGS). Very little supervision and oversight at WAGS. You might see district manager maybe once every 2-3 months. Virtually no metrics to meet. All you have to do to keep your job is not get too many customer complaints and learn to love doing immunization. My own district manager told me directly he is not into KPIs. He could care less about the numbers. He just wants good customer service.

it really greatly depends on the particular store and particular DM/RM.

This x100. Does not matter how ****ty a company is if you have a good store, DM, and RM to help mitigate the **** that hits you. Only problem is DMs and RMs cycle so fast, your perfect scenario might not last more than a few years.

serious replies, please explain why, please no "neither", thx

If you do not mind having the store manager as your boss... Walgreens. They come in and out of the pharmacy as they please.
I take great pleasure in telling non-pharmacy people it’s not a good time or just making them wait until I’m done with a flu shot to even acknowledge them.
The CVS system makes more sense. The Walgreens system prints the queue for you and will have you work on stuff that’s not even due yet. It claims it prioritizes well but it doesn’t.
The CVS system is very efficient and well, it’s no surprise they get away with bare bones staffing levels. But on the upside, the pharmacist has the potential to become very efficient.
Sure, you have PCQ and physician calls but you can control a lot of the PCQ calls by enrolling people in text messages and the app. Physician calls - 50% of those refill requests should never have been sent to begin with. Most are “needs to be seen. No more refills without appointment”. Or “last seen two years ago. Must establish care with primary care physician” or my favorite “ dr Smith is an urgent care physician. Must contact primary care.”

Try to get into Target/CVS if you can. Better staffing levels. Better scenery, too.

Anyone have advice on rite aid in comparison?

WAGS any day. CVS will offer slightly higher pay and maybe OT (no more OT at WAGS). Very little supervision and oversight at WAGS. You might see district manager maybe once every 2-3 months. Virtually no metrics to meet. All you have to do to keep your job is not get too many customer complaints and learn to love doing immunization. My own district manager told me directly he is not into KPIs. He could care less about the numbers. He just wants good customer service.
Anyone have advice on rite aid in comparison?

What’s rite aid?