Would you retake the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredpt1313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received 151 Verbal, 148 Quantitative, and 3.5 AW scores. My overall GPA is a 3.11 and my Prereq GPA is a 3.36. Most of my choices have rolling admissions policies and I am unsure if I should study more for the GRE or submit my application earlier with the scores that I have now. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What schools are you applying to?

What schools are you applying to?
These are the schools I have in mind as of now. Not in any specific order.

UMDNJ-now Rutgers University, Nova Southeastern, West Virginia University, Shennandoah University, University of Miami, Long Island University, George Washington University, AT Still University of the Health Sciences, Franklin Pierce University, Thomas Jefferson University, Wheeling Jesuit University, Temple University, Samuel Merritt University.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine, I'm applying to 3-4 of the same schools,
My stats are 151 V 151 Q 4.0 A
cGPA 3.02
pGPA 3.5-3.6

My app isn't verified yet but those are close estimates. We only need one acceptance

I have also applied to 14 schools

you might be ok, but for the more competitive schools on your list it might not be enough. Your gpa is a little low and you should always strive for at least 150 in both and a 4 in AW. You never know though, I got in with a measly 149 V lol.

you might be ok, but for the more competitive schools on your list it might not be enough. Your gpa is a little low and you should always strive for at least 150 in both and a 4 in AW. You never know though, I got in with a measly 149 V lol.
My GPA is what it is and the GRE is the only thing I can improve before submitting my app. I'm just debating whether it's smarter to try to increase my GRE scores, which isn't guaranteed, or to apply earlier. It seems to me that someone with my stats will have a much better chance at getting interviews/acceptances by applying early.

My GPA is what it is and the GRE is the only thing I can improve before submitting my app. I'm just debating whether it's smarter to try to increase my GRE scores, which isn't guaranteed, or to apply earlier. It seems to me that someone with my stats will have a much better chance at getting interviews/acceptances by applying early.

I meant because your gpa is what it is, you really want to have a strong gre to sort of combat the gpa. If the schools have rolling admissions, might as well apply and see what happens. If the majority of schools don't even look at apps until a certain cut off date, why not try the gre again?

edit: since you said most are rolling admissions, just apply.Better have some kick ass essays and lor! good luck (and I don't mean it sarcastically)

Apply now. Your analytical/writing score is low so schools with more rigorous academic standards might deny you, but your total score is 299. I would not spend hours of my time trying to get a 300.

Kevin

Hey guys! I was also wondering if retaking my GRE to increase my AW score would make a difference or not. I won't be applying till next year so I have time.

Are these stats competitive?

GRE: 155 (VR) 154 (QR) 3.5 (AW)
cGPA: 3.125
PrereqGPA: 3.54 - 3.87 (depending on school)

Any feedback would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you all for your responses. Other than the schools I have listed that I am applying to, does anyone have any other suggestions where I might have a decent chance with these stats?

Guys, if you hit 150 on both sections of the GRE, consider it a good score. Is it elite ? No, that would be a 170 or as close as you can get to it. But if you have a 150 then that is a good footing to be on. Please don't ask if it's a good score because you should know that schools are mainly looking for a 300 for "competitive score" or minimum requirements. It only aggravates people to whom it seems like you're throwing your score in their face and waiting for compliments.

Lesson learned - 150+ on a section and you did ok, 160- you did absolutely amazing, and 170 - perfect score

Reactions: 1 user
I received 151 Verbal, 148 Quantitative, and 3.5 AW scores. My overall GPA is a 3.11 and my Prereq GPA is a 3.36. Most of my choices have rolling admissions policies and I am unsure if I should study more for the GRE or submit my application earlier with the scores that I have now. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey futuredpt1313,
Sorry that i'm going back to an old thread, but how was the outcome? Did you get accepted to any schools? Interviews?