Would you still go into medicine if doctors made $75,000/yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you still go into medicine if doctors made $75,000 a year?

• Yes

Votes: 156 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 182 53.8%

• Total voters
I wonder how long a job opening in a specialty would stay unfilled if the advertised salary was 75k. That would be a measure of how many actual doctors would work for 75k. There are some unfilled jobs for 300k in ideal locations.

Members don't see this ad.

jackets5 said:
Cant believe how close this poll is getting. Are that many people here actually that naive and idealistic. Let them make there 75k and struggle enourmously to surrvive.
This is exactly the post I went ballistic about in the first place. Anyone who thinks making $75K means you're struggling to survive either:

1) Has lived in an extremely expensive housing market their entire life and is totally sheltered from the rest of the world; or

2) Has lived well above their means for their entire life and imagines anything less as "unlivable," and are therefore totally sheltered from the rest of the world.

BrettBatchelor said:
I wonder how long a job opening in a specialty would stay unfilled if the advertised salary was 75k. That would be a measure of how many actual doctors would work for 75k. There are some unfilled jobs for 300k in ideal locations.
Well, it's not a totally fair comparison. If someone equally enjoys two specialties, they'll probably go for the one that offers a better lifestyle; that's just logic at work. I won't even argue that money could push someone into one field that they enjoy over another that they really enjoy doing, and I can't find fault with that, since lifestyle is certainly part of the decision. I don't mean to be totally devaluing the relevance of money.

I'm just saying that money should be one of the less important factors in your decision, and a total career change based on money alone strikes me as a bit sad.

_ian said:
This is exactly the post I went ballistic about in the first place. Anyone who thinks making $75K means you're struggling to survive either:

1) Has lived in an extremely expensive housing market their entire life and is totally sheltered from the rest of the world; or

2) Has lived well above their means for their entire life and imagines anything less as "unlivable," and are therefore totally sheltered from the rest of the world.

Yeah. I'd like to point out to some of you people who have no concept -- Where i live, you can get a 500 sq foot studio apartment, downtown, for $450/month. And that's expensive, in my eyes, considering i moved here from a place where the same apartment would cost $250/mo. You can get a nice import car for $200/month. That's about 1k/month to support yourself with gas, groceries, and insurance included. Now, if you're making 2-3k/month after taxes (ie: a resident's salary), you have like $500/*week* in personal spending money. How anyone wouldnt be satisfied with that -- i just dont know. I personally think that people who choose to live in vastly overinflated housing markets and complain about money and salaries are idiots. It's like "OMG OMG OMG OMG How can the average person afford a 2 bedroom apartment in manhattan these days ?? It's just so overpriced !! I practically HAVE to match ortho spine to even SURVIVE and feed my family!" Guys, this is pathetic. Go live somewhere else. It's not prestigious to be able to say you threw away your money in an inflated housing market. You'll just be able to say you paid more for something that everyone else enjoys for cheaper.

Get with the picture and realize most americans have a happier life than you will as a doctor -- they have a more enjoyable personal and family life -- they raise their kids and buy a house and get out to sporting events and go to restaurants and have just as much fun as you do -- and they're only making $40,000/year (as an entire family).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, ive lived in some of the highest cost of living areas in the country. For the majority of my life ive lived on Long Island ive also lived in Orange county in california. Its not a matter of being sheltered i know that people live in other areas of the country on alot less money. But i have no desire to live in a small area of the country. I could only see myself living in areas like NYC, Los Angeles, Miami etc. so for me making only 75K would really be struggling to surrvive in those areas. I dont see nothing wrong with that at all. Hell, were we live my parents make a combined income of around 125K a year and that is at the bottom to average levels of income in our area.

_ian said:

Well, it's not a totally fair comparison. If someone equally enjoys two specialties, they'll probably go for the one that offers a better lifestyle; that's just logic at work. I won't even argue that money could push someone into one field that they enjoy over another that they really enjoy doing, and I can't find fault with that, since lifestyle is certainly part of the decision. I don't mean to be totally devaluing the relevance of money.

I'm just saying that money should be one of the less important factors in your decision, and a total career change based on money alone strikes me as a bit sad.

_ian said:

I was stating in the same specialty or specialty of your choice. The jobs with 300k would go before the 75k one for the same job description and location. How long it goes unfilled would measure how many unemployed docs would be willing to work for 75k or hold out unemployed for higher pay.

great that is wonderfull you could get an apartment for $250 a month where you lived. Id like to point out to you that alot of people didnt grow up like you in the middle of nowhere where the cost of living is that cheap. why should i have to change my whole lifestyle just to surrvive thats what ive been doing my whole life. Its like when people move to big cities after living in small towns their whole lives and the cant adjust to enviornment. Did you stop to think maybe people who have lived their lives in major cities would be terribly unhappy living in the middle of nowhere. Its ignorant to call them idiots if they are saying that they couldnt surrvivie on a particular salary

Ross434 said:
Yeah. I'd like to point out to some of you people who have no concept -- Where i live, you can get a 500 sq foot studio apartment, downtown, for $450/month. And that's expensive, in my eyes, considering i moved here from a place where the same apartment would cost $250/mo. You can get a nice import car for $200/month. That's about 1k/month to support yourself. Now, if you're making 2-3k/month after taxes (ie: a resident's salary), you have like $500/*week* in personal spending money. How anyone wouldnt be satisfied with that -- i just dont know. I personally think that people who choose to live in vastly overinflated housing markets and complain about money and salaries are idiots. It's like "OMG OMG OMG OMG How can the average person afford a 2 bedroom apartment in manhattan these days ?? It's just so overpriced !! I practically HAVE to match ortho spine to even SURVIVE and feed my family!" Guys, this is pathetic. Go live somewhere else. It's not prestigious to be able to say you threw away your money in an inflated housing market. You'll just be able to say you paid more for something that everyone else enjoys for cheaper.

Get with the picture and realize most americans have a happier life than you will as a doctor -- they have a more enjoyable personal and family life -- they raise their kids and buy a house and get out to sporting events and go to restaurants and have just as much fun as you do -- and they're only making $40,000/year (as an entire family).

look. $75k is by no means a crappy living. i currently make $1.8k to 2k a month. i rent an apartment for $550/month (it's in the middle of houston). it sucks, yet i can save about $1k each month. i am not at all in the red or anything. yet, the majority of people on this board seem to think that because they can survive on very little a month, they all don't understand the costs of being a grown up with a family.

as college students or recent grads, we don't have a family. we pay for ourselves and that's it. kids cost a lot. paying for a home costs a lot. groceries cost a lot. not to mention the costs of being a physician. in addition, a good part of SDN still has mommy and daddy there to pay for everything. as a result, SDN is very naive.

there's a difference between altruism and blind devotion. ideally, we want money to not matter. ideally, we'd provide service and care to all and everyone would survive. ideally, there'd be no cancer or AIDS. guess what, those services cost a lot. just being on a ventilator can cost $700+ a day. renting the bed costs money. in addition, paying for nurses to check on you costs money. paying for someone to operate and maintain the ventilator costs money.

i am willing to bet anything that send the 98 people who voted "Yes" will reverse their vote within the four years of medical school. instead of making rash comments on us "heartless" physicians, learn the truth behind what you're saying. physicians may be among the most intelligent people in the world but a lot of y'all are pretty naive and stupid. [/thread]

juiceman311 said:
No. While money doesn't play the whole role in deciding on medcine, I can't justify spending the next 10-11 years of my life without sleep, in massive debt with no income, to make 75k/yr.

amen.

ok, so who are the 100 liars that voted yes?!? this is not a med school interview, you know..

I think if you want to get a better idea where all the naive and overly-idealistic pre-meds are, make a poll with multiple "yes" and "no" options, such as:

1)yes, and I've only lived at home/in a dorm/off campus housing my whole life and during college, and I've never been financially dependant for anyone besides myself

2) Yes, I've graduated from college and support a family

3) No, (same as #1)

4) No, (same as #2)

Not only do so many (certainly not all) pre-meds have only themselves to worry about financially and emotionally, but a lot say they know what medicine is all about because they've volunteered in a hospital for 8 hours per week or their mother/father/uncle/aunt/brother/sister is a physician. The fact is, you (and myself too, I'm just a first year) will NEVER know what it's like to work 80 hour weeks, be solely responsible for a patient's life, try to juggle a family and long work weeks, give half your paycheck to malpractice, and deal with all the bureaucratic garbage until you get there. To sit in front of your computer while studying for your undergrad biology test and say "I want to help people and I'll do it for any salary" is naive and uninformed at this point of your life, even if you can't see it.

Ross434 said:
Yeah. I'd like to point out to some of you people who have no concept -- Where i live, you can get a 500 sq foot studio apartment, downtown, for $450/month. And that's expensive, in my eyes, considering i moved here from a place where the same apartment would cost $250/mo. You can get a nice import car for $200/month. That's about 1k/month to support yourself with gas, groceries, and insurance included. Now, if you're making 2-3k/month after taxes (ie: a resident's salary), you have like $500/*week* in personal spending money. How anyone wouldnt be satisfied with that -- i just dont know. I personally think that people who choose to live in vastly overinflated housing markets and complain about money and salaries are idiots. It's like "OMG OMG OMG OMG How can the average person afford a 2 bedroom apartment in manhattan these days ?? It's just so overpriced !! I practically HAVE to match ortho spine to even SURVIVE and feed my family!" Guys, this is pathetic. Go live somewhere else. It's not prestigious to be able to say you threw away your money in an inflated housing market. You'll just be able to say you paid more for something that everyone else enjoys for cheaper.

Pretty good!

:thumbup:

jtank said:
ok, so who are the 100 liars that voted yes?!? this is not a med school interview, you know..

MPAD12-1%20Denial%20Robin%20Williams_small.jpg

i dont know how your going to have a comfortable life making 40K with a wife, kids and a home. If your making 40k thats around 3.5k a month. thats not alot of money.
Mortage payment- 1000-1500/ month
Car payments/insurance (assuming 2 cars) 800/ month
Ultilities- 500 month
food- 400 month

As of right now with all the bare necesiities you looking at 2700-3000 not including things like gas for your car etc. This is being very conservative, living extremely modestly and in the middle of nowhere. So you have 300-800 month for all the other things in life. you need to invest/save some money for the kids college, your retierment etc. There is no way you will be reguarlly attending sporting events, going to resturants or doing anything fun. you will be living pay check to pay check, which im assuming has to be very stressfull. you cant surrvive comfortably with a family and a house making a family income of only 40k

Ross434 said:
feed my family!"[/I]

Members don't see this ad :)
_ian said:
Anyone who thinks making $75K means you're struggling to survive either:

1) Idealistic pre-meds are the only ones who would even consider working assiduously to enjoy a lower quality of life than what they were born into.

2) You can't compare salaries and cost of living with "the rest of the world." The issue is whether you would take $75k to work as a doctor in the US.

if its a standard 9-5 with no malpractice ins or student loans, i would be good with that. esp if you get that pay throughout residency. the only thing is that no one would specialize. fp's and im's would flood the market.

Probably not... Being a doctor requires a lot of money because if you make a mistake, the patient dies.

_ian said:
Most all of the United States has a far lower cost of living than the Bay Area. $75,000 a year will get you very far in most places. If you think $75,000 is not enough to support your family, you need to get out into the real world, because you are a disgusting, naive fool. My parents make well under that and have supported me just fine. My girlfriends' parents make exactly that, and are sending four kids to college. We both grew up in nice, suburban, middle class neighborhoods in Michigan. So please, shut your mouth.
I'm sorry, but I take personal offense to this. You think I am out of touch with reality? I happen to live in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the country, and with a wife and no kids $75K pre-tax hardly affords an opulent lifestyle. In fact, it just pays the bills. I don't know what fantasy world you are talking about, but there is no way you can pay mortgage and send four kids to school on $75K/yr unless they are on full-ride scholarships and/or you have planned well financially for years and years and have the savings, built up gradually, to do so.

Ross434 said:
And that's expensive, in my eyes, considering i moved here from a place where the same apartment would cost $250/mo.
I'm not sure where that is, but in BFE in the rural south, $250/mo will get you a livable but old ragged out "mobile dwelling." Some people would actually like to raise a family in a house, you know... especially when they went through 10 years of education for a professional degree. You're looking at $1000/mo for a typical family residential home... nothing fancy, nothing large, nothing new, just enough bedrooms for you, a child, and a guest, if that. Move that house to any high-housing cost area and it goes up to $4000/mo +.

osli said:
I'm sorry, but I take personal offense to this. You think I am out of touch with reality? I happen to live in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the country, and with a wife and no kids $75K pre-tax hardly affords an opulent lifestyle. In fact, it just pays the bills. I don't know what fantasy world you are talking about, but there is no way you can pay mortgage and send four kids to school on $75K/yr unless they are on full-ride scholarships and/or you have planned well financially for years and years and have the savings, built up gradually, to do so.

you are def not limited to the money you make as a physician (invest in land or real estate if you are looking for more income). sure it aint great, but its possible. just think, we'll be making 40-50K during residency for 3-7 years after med school. half of us will have a mortgage, a wife, and maybe a kid- trust me, if you live within your means, you can live happy with it.

hell, if doctors salary was 75K, then i'd supplement it with some pharma-sponsored research- you could def double that in a years time. I'm not worried about this stuff as much as I am about gettting in!! :laugh:

you are so right man, he is actually the one out of touch with reality, not us who disagree. I would love to see what you could get for $250 a month, I actually stayed in a hotel room over the summer that costed 240 a night and this guy thinks you can get a nice apartment for $250, give me what he is smoking

osli said:
I'm not sure where that is, but in BFE in the rural south, $250/mo will get you a livable but old ragged out "mobile dwelling." Some people would actually like to raise a family in a house, you know... especially when they went through 10 years of education for a professional degree. You're looking at $1000/mo for a typical family residential home... nothing fancy, nothing large, nothing new, just enough bedrooms for you, a child, and a guest, if that. Move that house to any high-housing cost area and it goes up to $4000/mo +.

i find it absolutely hilarious how many of you kids on this site don't realize that $75k is a ton of money. that's more than double the starting salary in just about any other field. if any of you wouldn't be happy making $75k doing something you love, you definitely should consider something other than medicine because i sure as hell wouldn't want someone that greedy taking care of my health...

osli said:
Move that house to any high-housing cost area and it goes up to $4000/mo +.

anyone with $4K/month to spend on rent really needs to consider buying a house and spending that money towards the mortage of a house. That kind of money could get you a $500K house easy.

crzyemeni said:
anyone with $4K/month to spend on rent really needs to consider buying a house and spending that money towards the mortage of a house. That kind of money could get you a $500K house easy.

yes, most people would figure that out. you have to remember, though, that most people on here are college kids who don't actually know anything about paying bills, or cost of living, or much of anything about the real world. they'll figure it out though...just give them time :laugh:

jackets5 said:
you are so right man, he is actually the one out of touch with reality, not us who disagree. I would love to see what you could get for $250 a month, I actually stayed in a hotel room over the summer that costed 240 a night and this guy thinks you can get a nice apartment for $250, give me what he is smoking

bro... try priceline.com you'll get a 3-star Hilton/Hampton type hotel by the beach for under 80 bucks a night.

250 a month is a far cry for what I paid for my place in Berkeley for undergrad (1bdrm $1000/month). But other places are much less- I interviewed in virginia and you can get an apt for 400 bucks a month in the city.

jbrice1639 said:
yes, most people would figure that out. you have to remember, though, that most people on here are college kids who don't actually know anything about paying bills, or cost of living, or much of anything about the real world. they'll figure it out though...just give them time :laugh:

:laugh: its all about making your money work for you, instead of the other way around!

Okay, let me tell you where im coming from. Im 24 years old, lived on my own for 2 1/2 years right after high school,playing baseball. I made around 30K after taxes (i was living in southern california) just supporting myself and it was a decent living (but the bonus money helped there) but there was no way i couldve support another person let alone a wife and 2 kids. An enigneer right out of college starts at like 60k, lawyers 3 years out of school start around 100k (in private practice) and you want to start a doctor with much greater responsibitly and 6-9 years more education to make 75K it dosent make sense. And dont tell me i dont appreciate how much 75K is i know what it is about a third of what my signing bonus was. If im going to commit my life to medicine (its the only other thing ive ever wanted to do besides play baseball/football) then i want to be able support myself and family, i dont want my kids in day care all the time because my wife has to work or i have to scramble to have a very comfortable living and with 75K chump change year that is not going to happen.

jbrice1639 said:
i find it absolutely hilarious how many of you kids on this site don't realize that $75k is a ton of money. that's more than double the starting salary in just about any other field. if any of you wouldn't be happy making $75k doing something you love, you definitely should consider something other than medicine because i sure as hell wouldn't want someone that greedy taking care of my health...

in reality, you can live off this money- but you'll live a humble life. is it worth the dedication and years it takes to get there... probably not. most of us say that we would, but we all know that it will not happen. RN's go to a measly amount of school and are pulling $75K/year.

I am just trying not to feed the flames of some people on this forum who think its impossible to live off such an income.

I believe its possible, but just not worth the effort (both in the dedication it takes to get the MD and the dedication every physician has to each patient)

After reading the thread, i think the question is not being interpreted the same by all of the posters. The problem with simply giving a number criteria for annual salary is that different people look at the number differently. Given your number, I interpret your question as not having enough compensation to justify the amount of school/stress/ hours you have to work. This would then translate to not being happy with the profession. So my answer is NO. If I wanted to simply help people and not get paid reasonably, I would be a teacher.

jackets5 said:
i dont know how your going to have a comfortable life making 40K with a wife, kids and a home. If your making 40k thats around 3.5k a month. thats not alot of money.
Mortage payment- 1000-1500/ month
Car payments/insurance (assuming 2 cars) 800/ month
Ultilities- 500 month
food- 400 month

Actually, that'd be about 2.5k/month, after taxes. And yeah maybe try this. Mortgage payment - 300-500/month. Car payments (2 cars) 400/month. Insurance and utilities $250/month. That leaves about $400/week for groceries, going out to concerts and events and clubs, having fun. etc. etc.

osli said:

Uh, check housing listings online. In rural areas there are a lot of houses under $50,000. And in urban areas, like the fox valley, in wisconsin, cultural and recreational opportunites abound, and you can get a great 1500-2000 sq foot house to raise a family for like $130,000 . Monthly, the first example comes out to about $240/month. The second.. $630.

Ross434 said:
Uh, check housing listings online. In rural areas there are a lot of houses under $50,000. And in urban areas, like the fox valley, in wisconsin, cultural and recreational opportunites abound, and you can get a great 1500-2000 sq foot house to raise a family for like $130,000 . Monthly, the first example comes out to about $240/month. The second.. $630.

MAN!! I could make a living buying those houses and transporting them to cali where I could sell them for $500K plus :laugh: :laugh: .

I'm just kidding! But out on the west coast its a whole other story. I think even mobile homes are $200K. Rent for apts seems to be roughly $1000/month depending on size and location.

Just some heads up if you end up on this side for med school. I guess its the price you pay for great weather.

crzyemeni said:
MAN!! I could make a living buying those houses and transporting them to cali where I could sell them for $500K plus :laugh: :laugh: .

I'm just kidding! But out on the west coast its a whole other story. I think even mobile homes are $200K. Rent for apts seems to be roughly $1000/month depending on size and location.

Just some heads up if you end up on this side for med school. I guess its the price you pay for great weather.

Yeah man, i understand that housing prices are high out there. I'm not doubting it costs a lot. I'm just saying, i think it's stupid that people for some reason think that it's the same everywhere else, and that you somehow can't live a fulfilled life if you're not in a 2,000,000+ person metro area. Life is more than just where you live and being able to go to certain elite venues. It's about starting and raising a family and appreciating what you have. But im sure these things will become unimportant to you, eventually, because you'll be caught up in the rat race and the grueling career race through medicine. Then you'll figure you can make it all right by surrounding yourself with overpriced material things like a house in a "good neighborhood" and a fancy car. Hope this works out for you.

yes, but your talking about living in the middle of nowhere. not everyone would enjoy living there, id end up killing myself if i lived in one of those areas. Even using your examples which are very low, its real hard to have 2 quality reliable cars for 200 a month each. Where are u going to get your water, heating, cable, phone and insurance (car and house) for $250 a month. And your $400 a week still needs to be broken down take $125 out for savings/investing, 100 a week for food. $50 a week gas (you have 2 cars) im sure there are other things im forgetting. that leaves $125 dollars for fun, thats not a nice dinner for 4 people (hell its hardly a bottle of wine, appetizers and a tip for 2) , a sporting event, concert or anything. And again your numbers are so low. I really hope your joking with your examples, if not your the one who is not in touch with reality, not us who "scoff" at making 75K a year

Ross434 said:

Ross434 said:
Yeah man, i understand that housing prices are high out there. I'm not doubting it costs a lot. I'm just saying, i think it's stupid that people for some reason think that it's the same everywhere else, and that you somehow can't live a fulfilled life if you're not in a 2,000,000+ person metro area. Life is more than just where you live and being able to go to certain elite venues. It's about starting and raising a family and appreciating what you have. But im sure these things will become unimportant to you, eventually, because you'll be caught up in the rat race and the grueling career race through medicine. Then you'll figure you can make it all right by surrounding yourself with overpriced material things like a house in a "good neighborhood" and a fancy car. Hope this works out for you.

eigh... I'm just tryin to provide a future for myself and more importantly my wife and future kids. I ain't in it for the MMBB (money, mansions, bentleys, bitches- i think). But no doubt, some are, but you'll f-up on the interviews and never get in, because it becomes apparent when you are one-on-one with another doc what your intentions for becoming a doctor really are.

jackets5 said:
yes, but your talking about living in the middle of nowhere. not everyone would enjoy living there, id end up killing myself if i lived in one of those areas. Even using your examples which are very low, its real hard to have 2 quality reliable cars for 200 a month each. Where are u going to get your water, heating, cable, phone and insurance (car and house) for $250 a month. And your $400 a week still needs to be broken down take $125 out for savings/investing, 100 a week for food. $50 a week gas (you have 2 cars) im sure there are other things im forgetting. that leaves $125 dollars for fun, thats not a nice dinner for 4 people (hell its hardly a bottle of wine, appetizers and a tip for 2) , a sporting event, concert or anything. And again your numbers are so low. I really hope your joking with your examples, if not your the one who is not in touch with reality, not us who "scoff" at making 75K a year

we all know as docs, we'll be making $150K+, but the reality of it is that we must be prepared to live comfortable with only $50K for the duration of our residency. I will be fine, you just seem like even $75K will not be enough. You should be more worried that, then the idea of less pay as a physician.

its all hypothetical- no reason to get all technical!

jackets5 said:

Shoot, $200/month for cars?? what was i thinking? I have no idea how that could possibly buy a mercedes or brand new imports. And the money for utilities?? you know what - i never figured in the cost for unlimited long distance, hbo and showtime, and 5 cell phones for your family and dog. Wow, and i guess we feel high and mighty enough to invest 20% of your income. Get real - few average families in the real world invest that much, if any money at all. These numbers arent fake. I guess you've never really hung around people in the real world, earning a real living, and supporting their family on $30,000/year. They have just as happy of a life as you do - probably more.

no one is doubting its cheap to live other places. But realize not everyone is from those little places where it is so cheap to live. If your grew up in NYC your most likely not going to be happy in podunk wisconsin. But because i cant feel fulfilled in a town of a 1000 instead of 1,000,000 im somehow a purely material person with no concept for the rest of the world. Of course its about raising and supporting a family. I want to be 50 years old and be able to give my daughter/son 50k for beautifull wedding or a down payment on a home, without worrying if i can afford it. Thats a huge reason for all the hard work ive done either be it in school/sports. I want money never to have to be a concern if i want to do something or not. When i signed my minor leauge contract i gave my parents money to pay their mortage for a year and it was a huge help for them. thats what hard work is for to make your loved ones lives easier and less worrisome, hell if i was good enough id make sure my mom or dad would never have to work another day in there lives and have all the luxaries they could want and deserve.

Ross434 said:

no, i can understand the idea of living on 50k during residency and ill be able live fine because it is something i will have to. But with all the hard work, responsibilty invovled in being a doctor i want to be compensated extremley well. One thing ill admit 75k a year will not be enough for me to live the lifestyle i would like to after putting in all the time in med school and residency. hey, what can i say i really like money (its not a bad thing)

In the words of jadakiss "Ain't nothing like throwin' a couple hundred thousand on the table and telling yo ****** to keep what they want"

crzyemeni said:
we all know as docs, we'll be making $150K+, but the reality of it is that we must be prepared to live comfortable with only $50K for the duration of our residency. I will be fine, you just seem like even $75K will not be enough. You should be more worried that, then the idea of less pay as a physician.

its all hypothetical- no reason to get all technical!

jbrice1639 said:
No offense but I was working in the "real" world making great money. If I was making $75K as a doctor and that is it ... with the lovely 3-5% increase in salary a year I wouldn't touch medical school. There's a cost benefit analysis, and additionally, it would depend on my spouse's income. As someone broke down that $75K a year it wouldn't be hard to support a family on but throw school loans on there and yes, after taxes and loans your salary just dropped $20K a year. I think that is what people are looking at. Time vs. cost analysis.

Some of us feel medical school wouldn't be worth it for $75K coming out of residency. I feel the same way. I made $40K for 2 years then got a huge bump in my salary. I was saving money up trying to get out of debt so I could go back to school full time for medical school. I lived in a very nice area, my parents sacraficed alot for us growing up so we could live in the "nicer" area with better school districts. I want to give my kids the same thing. And buying a house for $200K (which the average is about $176,700 in the US) just on one salary can be impossible. And on $75K that is a stretch as you are really only supposed to get a home that is 1.5 times your income (for rule of thumb on payments). Yes I know many people buy up from that and $200K is doable but I guarantee you those $2000 mortgage payments will kill you. I guess I went from living in a nice area on the east coast to the midwest and the one thing I've learned, is EXPENSES.
After house searching to own a home in both areas, houses are expensive NO MATTER WHAT and NO MATTER WHERE.

If medical school was only $20K for 4 years, then I wouldn't mind $75K/year. But with the cost and the way I want to live and currently living on less than $30K a year I really commend those who can make it work, but I'm not a fan of living paycheck to paycheck. I have done EVERYTHING in MY power educational-wise (which I have financed my OWN education) to make sure I have the tools to provide the same (if not EXCEED) the level that my parents provided for me.

I'm sure there have been many great points that have been mentioned on both sides. I know my post will be lost in the crowd. But honestly, I realize alot of premeds on here haven't had work experience in the "real" world, but don't discount all of them. Many people from different socio-economic backgrounds have their own individual motivations. As stated before it all depends on how one person looks at the question being asked and how they interpret it.

jackets5 said:
In the words of jadakiss "Ain't nothing like throwin' a couple hundred thousand on the table and telling yo ****** to keep what they want"

:D i hear ya!

can we add "hell NO!" to the list of options.

And also, this poll would be better if it was:
-yes, and Im a pre-med
-yes, and I have some f*cking clue what im talking about (i.e. not pre-med)
-No, and im a pre-med
-No, and I have a clue
-HELL NO

jbrice1639 said:
i find it absolutely hilarious how many of you kids on this site don't realize that $75k is a ton of money.
For reference, I'm nearly 30, married, have my masters in mechanical engineering, and have been working for several years at that salary level. I also don't live in a large city or in any area that could be considered high-cost-of-living, in fact I am basing my statements on cost of living in the rural South.

crzyemeni said:

Maybe you missed something important... I'll bold it for you:
Some people would actually like to raise a family in a house, you know... You're looking at $1000/mo for a typical family residential home.... Move that house to any high-housing cost area and it goes up to $4000/mo +.

Ross434 said:

Dude, what are you smokin'? For starters, I'm not going to raise my family in a $50,000 house, and that's in the most rural place you could imagine. I understand that some people do it, but I could do a hundred other things and make enough money to afford a better house. Second, what are you basing your mortgage calculations on? 4% APR over 30 years!?! Are you kidding!?! Let's try something more realistic, like 6% interest. For that $130,000 house you're looking at $780/mo in principle and interest alone. Now add in another $50 to $100 a month in PMI and $100/month in insurance and it's up to $900+ per month.

Now for those of us who have actually lived in the real world, let's not forget that these more "meager" homes tend to be much older and built with economics, not return, in mind. That means less insulation, no thermal windows, leaks, old inefficient HVAC systems, etc. Which translates into increased utilities costs. I'm speaking from experience here. Add $200/mo for power/gas alone for that small older home.

If things like malpractice and what not were taken into consideration I'd work for 75k.

But looking at this in perspective, I'm sure whenever I get married, my husband would be making much more money then me if not at least = money. So that would give a greater combined income.

As a single person making 75k, it isn't bad money depending on how you choose to invest your money.

gujuDoc said:
If things like malpractice and what not were taken into consideration I'd work for 75k.

But looking at this in perspective, I'm sure whenever I get married, my husband would be making much more money then me if not at least = money. So that would give a greater combined income.

As a single person making 75k, it isn't bad money depending on how you choose to invest your money.

That is true, but I was raised by parents who made more than 75K, and i do not want to spend 10+ years working my tail off , only to drop in socioeconomic status.

CTSballer11 said:
That is true, but I was raised by parents who made more than 75K, and i do not want to spend 10+ years working my tail off , only to drop in socioeconomic status.

Because the only reason to work hard is to attain a certain 'class status'

i think every parent raises their children to have a better life than they did. so don't hate for someone wanting a better life man, there's no shame in that.

your quite an idiot. Yeah we should work our asses off so we can live a lifestyle that is less than what we are used to. The point of hard work is to be able to improve your socioeconomic situation. your the clueless one, you want everyone to realize where your coming from but refuse to refuse to realize that other people come from different places. I really hope your just screwing around and not being serious

Ross434 said:
Because the only reason to work hard is to attain a certain 'class status'