Would you update med schools about a recently submitted manuscript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We submitted a paper to a top journal, but is it foolish to update med schools on this because the paper can obviously get rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

We submitted a paper to a top journal, but is it foolish to update med schools on this because the paper can obviously get rejected?

Yes to the question. Update when it is accepted.

Update them on acceptance only. Submissions are a dime a dozen and you'll only look naive.

Members don't see this ad :)

Personally, since it's still pretty early in the cycle, I'd wait until you get some feedback on your submission. Later, if you get an accept/accept with revisions, you'd obviously want to update your school, and if you get a reject with resubmission/flat reject, you can still update your schools when you re-submit to a different journal. Plus, some schools have limits on how many updates you can send them.

Personally, since it's still pretty early in the cycle, I'd wait until you get some feedback on your submission. Later, if you get an accept/accept with revisions, you'd obviously want to update your school, and if you get a reject with resubmission/flat reject, you can still update your schools when you re-submit to a different journal. Plus, some schools have limits on how many updates you can send them.

Seriously, a submitted paper is completely meaningless. You add a paper to your cv when it has been accepted. If you were to send a formal update to a school with information about submissions, you just look like someone who doesn't understand the research process.

Of course in an interview or whatever if you're asked about your research you can discuss in-progress projects. That's a different context.

Seriously, a submitted paper is completely meaningless. You add a paper to your cv when it has been accepted. If you were to send a formal update to a school with information about submissions, you just look like someone who doesn't understand the research process.

Of course in an interview or whatever if you're asked about your research you can discuss in-progress projects. That's a different context.

I've seen professors' CVs with papers listed as "in preparation" or "under review," so it's not unreasonable to want to notify schools, especially when there isn't much in the way of publications for most applicants anyways. It probably doesn't hurt to notify schools once IIs start going out in earnest and even a small detail can make a difference; updating later just allows for possible good news to be included and for the OP to not bother the Adcoms with unnecessary updates. At the same time, I definitely agree that generally speaking, a submitted manuscript is far, far away from an accepted one and that it means little.

I've seen professors' CVs with papers listed as "in preparation" or "under review," so it's not unreasonable to want to notify schools, especially when there isn't much in the way of publications for most applicants anyways. It probably doesn't hurt to notify schools once IIs start going out in earnest and even a small detail can make a difference; updating later just allows for possible good news to be included and for the OP to not bother the Adcoms with unnecessary updates. At the same time, I definitely agree that generally speaking, a submitted manuscript is far, far away from an accepted one and that it means little.

None of the profs I work with list papers as 'in preparation' or 'under review' on their cvs. I would only update a school about a submitted paper if it were piggybacked on news that I know a school would want to hear about (new grades, new job, whatever).

I know of several prominent scientists with publications on their CV listed as "under review" or in "preparation for." You're still early in the game, and the review process normally takes around 1-2 months so wait until you hear back from the journal. If you're lucky, you might get "accept with minor revisions" then update schools then. If you're also lucky and don't get rejected, but have "substantial revisions" at that point, I'd update schools saying you have a publication currently "under review after substantial revisions."

There are plenty of people out there with "Journal Articles (Submitted)" and "Journal Articles (In Preparation)" categories floating around on their CV. Nothing wrong with it, shows what you're currently working on. Having said that, it's not worth sending an email to a school about. If it gets accepted, maybe; even then it might be better left to talk about during the interview.