Would you use this? Tool that matches your stats to different schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you use it?

• Total voters

Quanticks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a computer science program right now (will be applying to dental school) and thought of a little side project I could do.

Would you use a website that offered a service where you could put in your stats (classes, gpa, dat, ec hours) and ranked dental schools based on your stats. Ideally it would generate a list of dental schools where you would have the best chance of acceptance so you can apply efficiently (not wasting money on "long shot" schools). You would also be able to filter the list based on things like location, and cost.

As a future dental student applicant, I am not really sure of what schools to apply to. The process of going through every schools website looking for their pre requisite requirements and average admission stats seems tedious.

Is there something already like this out there? Would I be wasting my time making this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Pre med students have something like this called the LizzyM score (I believe). Sounds like a great idea.

Especially if you could search by OOS friendly schools

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a computer science program right now (will be applying to dental school) and thought of a little side project I could do.

Would you use a website that offered a service where you could put in your stats (classes, gpa, dat, ec hours) and ranked dental schools based on your stats. Ideally it would generate a list of dental schools where you would have the best chance of acceptance so you can apply efficiently (not wasting money on "long shot" schools). You would also be able to filter the list based on things like location, and cost.

As a future dental student applicant, I am not really sure of what schools to apply to. The process of going through every schools website looking for their pre requisite requirements and average admission stats seems tedious.

Is there something already like this out there? Would I be wasting my time making this?
I don't think this would be too useful. It makes more sense for med schools (thats why they have one) because of the huge # of med schools- but there are not that many dental schools, and once you take out OOS unfriendly schools you're left with less than half, so ~30 schools. Then take out ones you would not want to go to (due to location, price etc) you're left with not that many to choose from.

Anyone with a brain can look at average stats for these remaining schools and see where they are on par with accepted applicants within a few minutes. This is quite a bit harder to do with med schools because there are soooooo many.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude why are people nuking this process?
Pick your reach schools
Pick your realistic schools
Pick your safeties

Keep in mind cost, location, and any other factors. After working this hard to get to this point to apply to dental school, why start wasting time with gimmicks that someone else created?

Reactions: 6 users
I think a lot of us would use it if only as a gimmick to see what it spat back out at us. After some optimization though it could be a pretty useful tool.
Wonder how it'd handle ppl like me where gpa doesnt match any schools and DAT matches all the schools.

It could be potentially useful but there really aren't too many dental schools, unlike med schools. Although, if something like this was created, I think it would be useful if you could:

01: Enter the state you live in so it filters out unfriendly state schools
02: Enter your geographical preferences
03: Enter any classes you have taken beyond gen chem, bio, orgo requirements, such as micro, anatomy, and biochem
04: Enter the # of CC credits you have to filter out any schools that have limitations
05: Enter your DAT scores & GPA

Then you will get told schools that your stats match closely with, ones that your stats are lower than (reaches), and ones that your stats are higher than (safeties), taking into account #s 1-4.

Lastly, maybe you could sort by % match, geographic area, or tuition.

Squeezing a buck out of a predent is as easy as squeezing blood from a turnip.

It could be potentially useful but there really aren't too many dental schools, unlike med schools. Although, if something like this was created, I think it would be useful if you could:

01: Enter the state you live in so it filters out unfriendly state schools
02: Enter your geographical preferences
03: Enter any classes you have taken beyond gen chem, bio, orgo requirements, such as micro, anatomy, and biochem
04: Enter the # of CC credits you have to filter out any schools that have limitations
05: Enter your DAT scores & GPA

Then you will get told schools that your stats match closely with, ones that your stats are lower than (reaches), and ones that your stats are higher than (safeties), taking into account #s 1-4.

Lastly, maybe you could sort by % match, geographic area, or tuition.

It's a fine algorithm to be sure. And it will work well with schools like UNLV that quantity the chance of admissions with their formulas for GPA/DAT score.

At the same time, it is hard to quantify the strength of subjective portions of the app, such as LoRs and personal statements, which play a critical part in the admissions game. Someone with a GPA 0.3 or more points below the average for a school could still get in if they compensated with extremely strong personal statements detailing their hardships and strong LoRs. In light of that, I believe such a website could give false recommendations.

If you want to create one of these by all means please do, so all the people who can't make up their ****ing minds or do any sort of leg work themselves can stop bombarding us with requests to take the time to pick the schools for them.

Harsh lol. Such a scumbag.

Last edited:
If you want to create one of these by all means please do, so all the people who can't make up their ****ing minds or do any sort of leg work themselves can stop bombarding us with requests to take the time to pick the schools for them lol.

What kills me is the " School A vs School B" threads. It's like.... They've done research on the schools. Applied and interviewed. Yet they want SDN to quantify their strengths and weaknesses and to decide where they should go. I don't know about most people on here but I already had my school priority list before Dec 1st even hit.

Google ADEA's guide to applying to dental school. It's fairly cheap for the online version, and it gives you all the relevant stats for each school. Much better than trying to look up each school's individual stats and requirements. I highly recommend it. Saved me a ton of time, and helped me to apply wisely

Members don't see this ad :)
Amen brother or sister. I didn't use it for when I applied but I bought the $15 version just to use to give people on SDN advice so I wasn't spreading any misinformation.
I should clarify, I don't think all "this school vs that school" threads are ridiculous. Sometimes people have done their research and have unique circumstances where they need some help making the decision. I like seeing these threads and contribution to them when I can. It's the validation seeking threads that piss me off.
Kind of like asking friends which spouse to choose.

It's a fine algorithm to be sure. And it will work well with schools like UNLV that quantity the chance of admissions with their formulas for GPA/DAT score.

At the same time, it is hard to quantify the strength of subjective portions of the app, such as LoRs and personal statements, which play a critical part in the admissions game. Someone with a GPA 0.3 or more points below the average for a school could still get in if they compensated with extremely strong personal statements detailing their hardships and strong LoRs. In light of that, I believe such a website could give false recommendations.
I definitely agree with that. As we have seen on here, just because you have a high GPA and/or DAT score does not mean you will get accepted (or even offered an interview). I'm too lazy to look up the LizzyM scores that they use on the med forums, but I'm assuming those don't take into account subjective things such as LoRs, ECs, shadowing, or even GPA trends (a 3.0 GPA that went from a 2.5 to a 4.0 >>>>>> a 3.0 GPA that went from a 4.0 to a 2.5, obviously).

Honestly though, I used the guide book, doc toothache's materials, and the websites. I really only spent like a day on my school list. Did I make some mistakes? Oh yeah. I didn't even pay attention to OOS friendly schools except for one. So it's possible that this type of app would help a bit... but again, I don't know if it's worth the time

Don't even get me started dude. I try to give helpful advice to anyone that asks but these threads are WAY too common.
WAYYYYY TOOO MANY "Help with school list" "What schools should I apply to?" Threads.

I am currently working on a guide that has all the information in one place so people who are incapable of using google or the SDN search function can get it all in a one-stop-shop. It'll have all the information necessary in one word document broken down by school, and grouping each school into GPA and DAT ranges, because most of the people making these threads seem to think that they can only apply to schools that have similar averages to theirs. They don't understand that the the average means all of the scores added up and divided by the number of people, and that there are accepted students with below average scores at the school. It'll have whether they reclassify as in-state after one year, their acceptance rates for IS vs OOS (thanks to the ADEA Guide and doctoothache), their pre-requisites, their CC credit limits, their tuition, everything that google and SDN can tell people. It's sad that it has to come to people who have already applied and pick their school to do this on behalf of others, but if it helps one single individual who's actually a good person and not a validation-seeker, it'll all be worth it.

Anyway, the guide will be done before May, and my hope is that instead of answering people in all the separate threads discussing the exact same topics, people will just copy and paste the guide so people can have a good deal of information at their disposal to come to a decision on their own.

@Quanticks when I'm done it'll help you make the app with all the pertinent information in one place
They will still ask because they feel entitled for personal help.

I am currently working on a guide that has all the information in one place so people who are incapable of using google or the SDN search function can get it all in a one-stop-shop. It'll have all the information necessary in one word document broken down by school, and grouping each school into GPA and DAT ranges, because most of the people making these threads seem to think that they can only apply to schools that have similar averages to theirs. They don't understand that the the average means all of the scores added up and divided by the number of people, and that there are accepted students with below average scores at the school. It'll have whether they reclassify as in-state after one year, their acceptance rates for IS vs OOS (thanks to the ADEA Guide and doctoothache), their pre-requisites, their CC credit limits, their tuition, everything that google and SDN can tell people. It's sad that it has to come to people who have already applied and pick their school to do this on behalf of others, but if it helps one single individual who's actually a good person and not a validation-seeker, it'll all be worth it.

Anyway, the guide will be done before May, and my hope is that instead of answering people in all the separate threads discussing the exact same topics, people will just copy and paste the guide so people can have a good deal of information at their disposal to come to a decision on their own.

@Quanticks when I'm done it'll help you make the app with all the pertinent information in one place
That's super helpful can't wait to see it! The particularly helpful section will be the one that tells whether you can get instate residency after a year because that isn't as easy to find as say average GPA/DAT/accepted OOS/accepted IS is.

I know, but instead of answering we can just all paste the link to the guide. That way we can try and get our point across
Lol if you think people who ask those questions are going to use the search function or even scroll down the page instead of making a new thread for their own "unique situation" you are wrong :)

Very admirable. I truly admire your attempts at helping the predent community, it shows solidarity.
But...
My OPINION is that it's just placating to the problem. It's laziness and indecisiveness on the part of the predent.
@doc toothache makes those crazy comprehensive guides, but Oh No! it's like 6 attachments and that's just too much!
It's time for some of these kids to start taking things seriously. Kudos to them for getting good grades and high DATs, but if you want to be a doctor, time to grow up and do your own research as to what is best for you. Use your resources. The days of people holding your hand are over. Welcome to the real world.

I don't mean to sound like a PRlCk, but my point is do your own research, apply broadly, give yourself options, narrow it down to your top 2-3, and pull the trigger.
I think that's a LITTLE better than asking Internet rando's.....

Rant over
:)

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. If for not anything else, I think it could be a good project to build as it strengthens my portfolio just in case dental school doesn't work out.
@Scumbag_Steve I will keep in touch.

Very admirable. I truly admire your attempts at helping the predent community, it shows solidarity.
But...
My OPINION is that it's just placating to the problem. It's laziness and indecisiveness on the part of the predent.
@doc toothache makes those crazy comprehensive guides, but Oh No! it's like 6 attachments and that's just too much!
It's time for some of these kids to start taking things seriously. Kudos to them for getting good grades and high DATs, but if you want to be a doctor, time to grow up and do your own research as to what is best for you. Use your resources. The days of people holding your hand are over. Welcome to the real world.

I don't mean to sound like a PRlCk, but my point is do your own research, apply broadly, give yourself options, narrow it down to your top 2-3, and pull the trigger.
I think that's a LITTLE better than asking Internet rando's.....

Rant over
:)
I could kiss you for this. The DAT should have some kind of "common sense" section.

(This isn't a jab at OP or anything. It'd be a cool app and I'm sure it'd be a great talking point at an interview :) )

I could kiss you for this. The DAT should have some kind of "common sense" section.

(This isn't a jab at OP or anything. It'd be a cool app and I'm sure it'd be a great talking point at an interview :) )
Well thank you. The Jennifer Aniston avatar you had before would've made that a lot more tempting...
Unfortunately there's nothing common about common sense. I just wish people would do more of their own research instead of asking strangers what to do with the rest of their lives.

Well thank you. The Jennifer Aniston avatar you had before would've made that a lot more tempting...
Unfortunately there's nothing common about common sense. I just wish people would do more of their own research instead of asking strangers what to do with the rest of their lives.
People who can't figure out these common things won't get that far.

As much as I wish this were true it's just not. Deep-pocketed helicopter parents stringing people along the course of life can get them pretty far provided they stay alive.
I just had to tell a parent in a parent teacher conference yesterday that no, I will not accept work that you completed for your child.

Reactions: 3 users
I just had to tell a parent in a parent teacher conference yesterday that no, I will not accept work that you completed for your child.

This makes sense.

Last edited:
I remember when my mom used to do my homework for me in the first grade...those were the days.

Wait a minute...So YOU'RE the teacher who would make me stay back after class and re-do everything on my own?? Grr.....
You're not staying back after class. I have meetings. You'll just take the zero and use it as a learning experience.

You're not staying back after class. I have meetings. You'll just take the zero and use it as a learning experience.

I can understand that point of view.

Last edited: