Wound Care Clinic Is...

Started by Old_Mil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Old_Mil

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...the day your realize that the smells of anatomy lab are actually quite pleasant, if not fragrant compared to what a live human can do to your nose... you decide to become a radiologist, spending your days far away from patients.
 
...the day your realize that the smells of anatomy lab are actually quite pleasant, if not fragrant compared to what a live human can do to your nose... you decide to become a radiologist, spending your days far away from patients.

So true!
 
Wound care clinic can be bad because of all the festering wounds.

But wait until you get to some of the worst smells in the hospital:

*Nec fasc
*Fournier's gangrene
*Diabetic feet with wet gangrene

Etc. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So far the worst for me was a festering wound hidden in the moist fold of an especially large pannus. The female patient had a classical c-section scar. She was a bigger lady. She noticed the smell, but never thought to dry out the fold. Yuch that was disgusting.
 
Wound care clinic can be bad because of all the festering wounds.

But wait until you get to some of the worst smells in the hospital:

*Nec fasc
*Fournier's gangrene
*Diabetic feet with wet gangrene

Etc. 🙁

You forgot melena.
 
To gross out fellow students on/at a wound care clinic just say that were taught to do "manual oral negative pressure wound debridment", then say you were glad you skipped lunch and open up a paper straw and pretend to head into the room.
 
Fournier's gangrene? sweet jeebus.


Outpatient wound care is just getting to know the business end of diabetes.
 
At our county hospital, we get some heinous vasculopathic/diabetic feet. It's always funny to get a call from the ER talking about how nasty a foot is and that it's clearly wet gangrene and pus coming out of the wound and blah blah blah...only to have me see it and tell them I'm unimpressed and that the patient can go home with dressing changes after I debrided it a little bit. The ER docs are always horrified that I don't think it's that bad...if only they could see what walks (or limps or hops) into our vascular clinic...
 
I think many people have yet to see true wet gangrene. They'll freak out when they see any discoloration and they can't get pulses or Doppler signals (which invariably ARE there).
 
At our county hospital, we get some heinous vasculopathic/diabetic feet. It's always funny to get a call from the ER talking about how nasty a foot is and that it's clearly wet gangrene and pus coming out of the wound and blah blah blah...only to have me see it and tell them I'm unimpressed and that the patient can go home with dressing changes after I debrided it a little bit. The ER docs are always horrified that I don't think it's that bad...if only they could see what walks (or limps or hops) into our vascular clinic...
Granted you are at a more advanced stage in your training, but this has been my exact experience so far in clinic also. I've seen patients where the ER or IM doc's knee jerk reaction was to jump to Tygacil and call in the cavalry when the wound is something that probably doesn't even need IV therapy or OR debridement. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I think many people have yet to see true wet gangrene. They'll freak out when they see any discoloration and they can't get pulses or Doppler signals (which invariably ARE there).
👍