Wow I can't apply to dental school now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent1011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got replies from biology profs and will not be able to secure letters (requires you to work in their lab, do not know each other enough). I did a non-biology degree and do not have that many biology courses/profs/options. I can't believe this! I will not be able to fulfill the requirement of LORs from bio/chem/physics "science" faculty"
...pretty much all schools require this.
I don't even know what to do at this point... I already just completed a 5th year. Paying >$30 000 for a masters / to get LOR doesn't seem right.
Either way it looks like I have to waste another year
Any ideas what I should do from here? Are any schools lenient with LOR requirements / can be from any profs?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

find a volunteer gig or take a late summer science course

chat them up and convince them to write you a letter as promptly as they feel comfortable

if you're lucky you'll make the tail end of this cycle

if you're not apply next year

Explain to them your situation and see them in PERSON. Offer to provide them personal statement, resume, etc, if they are nice enough they will do it. Worst case scenario, you get a generic letter but a letter is better than no letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
find a volunteer gig or take a late summer science course

chat them up and convince them to write you a letter as promptly as they feel comfortable

if you're lucky you'll make the tail end of this cycle

if you're not apply next year

I planned to apply right at the beginning of the cycle as I am Canadian and do not have the best states (~cGPA 3.53, sGPA 3.43, BCP 3.2, 20/20/20)
...I think I might take a summer class - but this would really be pushing it (app would prob be sent to schools by late August) -- in which case would it be worth it, would I still have a sufficient chance?

Explain to them your situation and see them in PERSON. Offer to provide them personal statement, resume, etc, if they are nice enough they will do it. Worst case scenario, you get a generic letter but a letter is better than no letter.

I definitely explained my specific situation already and offered my resume, personal statement, transcript etc. But you are right about in person - I don't want to look like a desperate person chasing them though (probably would not result in a good letter at all) at this point I will settle for generic letters even

... LORs from bio/chem/physics "science" faculty"...

Any ideas what I should do from here? Are any schools lenient with LOR requirements / can be from any profs?
Thanks

Get different science letters. I used two chemistry professors.

Some schools do have strict requirements. I suggest you go to the school's websites and check.

A committee letter is often accepted in lieu of specific individual letters. If your school offers that service, it may be a viable way towards getting a letter so you can apply this year.

A committee letter is often accepted in lieu of specific individual letters. If your school offers that service, it may be a viable way towards getting a letter so you can apply this year.

Unfortunately, my university does not offer this service - that would be wonderful if it did.

Get different science letters. I used two chemistry professors.

Some schools do have strict requirements. I suggest you go to the school's websites and check.

I cannot contact the prof who taught intro chem I and II... I will try to contact the prof who taught orgo I and II, though I did not do the best in orgo I and the prof is known to not be that approachable - I have no choice, thanks

After reviewing LOR requirements for various schools, I noticed some schools say "science faculty" (without the extra sentence specifying biology/chem/physics) ...I am wondering since kinesiology is a part of the science faculty at my school (science-based curriculum) this would work... I know I may be pushing it but...

I just got replies from biology profs and will not be able to secure letters (requires you to work in their lab, do not know each other enough). I did a non-biology degree and do not have that many biology courses/profs/options. I can't believe this! I will not be able to fulfill the requirement of LORs from bio/chem/physics "science" faculty"
I don't even know what to do at this point... I already just completed a 5th year. Paying >$30 000 for a masters / to get LOR doesn't seem right.
Thanks

Hey Friend,
something seems a little off.
The LOR requirement, to be safe (depending on the range of schools you are applying to), is 3 science professors.
If for a professor to recommend you means that you need to work in each lab for a period of time, that just seems unreasonable/ unrealistic.
If I were you, I would talk to students who have already applied to dent/ med/pharm school to see what they did. Requiring students to work 3 different labs before junior year doesn't sound right.

Good luck man

If I remember right, you can submit your letters after you apply. It seems like GPA verification is what slows down the process, so if you apply now instead of waiting until you get you LOE's it may save you a few weeks. I got an LOE from a summer class I took. It was probably my best letter. Just find a nice teacher you can take over the summer who will write you a LOE.

Thank you all for your replies.

I am wondering - I think I can manage to get a letter from my Anatomy and Physiology prof, but it is the kinesiology department, not biology department... are schools really that picky? That it has to be Bio/Chem etc...

Any ideas if schools will overlook the Kinesiology part (I know this course does not fit under BCP solely bc of the prefix KIN instead of bio)

This really irritates me as the course content is clearly biology.

Thoughts??

I am pretty desperate for letters at this point.

Thanks

Call them and ask. Like the schools. Tell them it's an anatomy and physio course, but listed by a different department..see what they say

Call them and ask. Like the schools. Tell them it's an anatomy and physio course, but listed by a different department..see what they say

I will be doing this.

I cannot contact the prof who taught intro chem I and II... I will try to contact the prof who taught orgo I and II, though I did not do the best in orgo I and the prof is known to not be that approachable - I have no choice, thanks

It's just my luck - I have literally gone through my whole transcript contacting "Bio" and "Chem" profs... The profs have either left my university - including the orgo I and II prof (do not teach there, their e-mails do not work, cannot get a hold of them) or are heavy on research and have policies.

This is when I dislike my Kinesiology major.

Thanks

unfortunately, most schools are very strict about LORs, most won't even review your file unless everything is complete and turned in (aka LORs)

I hate to say this to you, but you should have check'd into this LONG time ago (over a year ago).... Matter of fact, pre-healthcare students are highly advices to ask for LORs IMMEDIATELY after finishing a course (even if its 1-3 years away from applying ~ that way you don't run into what you have right now)

Have you tried contacting your school's committee letter writers? many schools offer such service, they might be able to help you out. Another thing you can do is, stop by your professors office and litterally, kiss ass and beg (not a very attractive option ~ but its better than waiting a whole year just to get LORs)

just checking- we can only submit 4 personal letters right? and if the schools we apply to want more, we just submit it to each school?

I only had two letters from science professors total (one from an OChem prof and one from an intro level Bio prof) and I received multiple interviews and acceptances this cycle. I think you would be fine with the anatomy professor and any other professor you could ask. In my experience, the professors were really willing to help out and write the letters. If I were in your shoes, I would apply this year and find someway of getting letters; you could try to take a class in the summer and get a letter from that professor (even if it were at a community college or something). I wouldn't wait a whole year for this problem.

unfortunately, most schools are very strict about LORs, most won't even review your file unless everything is complete and turned in (aka LORs)

I hate to say this to you, but you should have check'd into this LONG time ago (over a year ago).... Matter of fact, pre-healthcare students are highly advices to ask for LORs IMMEDIATELY after finishing a course (even if its 1-3 years away from applying ~ that way you don't run into what you have right now)

Have you tried contacting your school's committee letter writers? many schools offer such service, they might be able to help you out. Another thing you can do is, stop by your professors office and litterally, kiss ass and beg (not a very attractive option ~ but its better than waiting a whole year just to get LORs)

I know you are right - but Canadian schools often do not require letters of recommendation (more of a numbers game) I guess I did not have a clear path of what I was going to do or if I was for sure going to be applying to the states, but trust me I do wish I did some things differently! But what can I say - nothing I can do about the past now.

My school does not have a committee unfortunately. I am honestly considering going to the offices now, literally nothing to lose. I am just hoping they do not write a "BAD" letter... I can do with a generalized letter (not ideal, but what can I do)

I only had two letters from science professors total (one from an OChem prof and one from an intro level Bio prof) and I received multiple interviews and acceptances this cycle. I think you would be fine with the anatomy professor and any other professor you could ask. In my experience, the professors were really willing to help out and write the letters. If I were in your shoes, I would apply this year and find someway of getting letters; you could try to take a class in the summer and get a letter from that professor (even if it were at a community college or something). I wouldn't wait a whole year for this problem.

You are right, I do not want to wait a year for this. I am looking into summer school right now actually - the letter probably would not be ready until July or so (at the earliest since classes start usually mid-June)... but I guess this is better than nothing...

Exhaust all possibilities. At this point, explain your situation to every possible letter writer and hope they understand.