WREB exam grading criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leafsdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking the WREB exams in about a month. I have read all the grading criteria and even watched the 1 hour demo video offered by WREB. The grading criteria for the Endo portion seems a little vague, can someone please advise? For eg. I took the CDCA, and for the endo access if you are 2mm away from the endo access it's a fail or major loss of points, for molar access if you are 2mm away from the marginal ridge it's a fail or major loss of points. I can't find any of that on the WREB grading criteria. The only specific guideline I can find is for obturation (1mm from the apex). Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Page 75 is a detailed breakdown of the Endo grading system for WREB 2019. I would guess 2020 is not different.

thanks for your response! I did look at this but all it says for the endo access is, "Near ideal shape, size and location". So my questions what is ideal shape, that sounds so vague. Like are there no specific dimensions that represent ideal shape? Ideal for a general dentist is different for ideal for an endodontist.

thanks for your response! I did look at this but all it says for the endo access is, "Near ideal shape, size and location". So my questions what is ideal shape, that sounds so vague. Like are there no specific dimensions that represent ideal shape? Ideal for a general dentist is different for ideal for an endodontist.
You are a 4 year dental student and don't have an idea of what ideal is? "Ideal" is vague because your goal is to have access to all the canals. Open your text book/lab manual and look or you can refer to this article for clarification. Or just talk with a faculty member about it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are a 4 year dental student and don't have an idea of what ideal is? "Ideal" is vague because your goal is to have access to all the canals. Open your text book/lab manuel and look or you can refer to this article for clarification. Or just talk with a faculty member about it.

I have a solid understanding of what ideal is, however I was unsure what WREB's definition of ideal is. For a standardized test I thought they would have specific measurements to represent what "ideal" is. Anyways I do appreciate your help.

*As a suggestion, people are on these forums looking for help and direct feedback without judgement and ego. Next time you decide to help someone please keep this in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, lets start over. You will be hard pressed to find numerical values of prep dimensions. I took WREBs so I know how you are feeling. Your best bet would be to ask a faculty member, as schools want you to pass for accreditation reasons. If you need a picture to look at a text book or lab manual is ideal for this to get the right shape and size etc.. WREBs is different then some other exams because you use extracted teeth compared to plastic teeth. My point earlier is that things will vary from tooth to tooth but the preperation typically has a range for ideal. Error on the side of being conservative. If it looks like you need to expand out side of what YOUR normal is, talk to the administrator and if you are justified they will allow it. I know it's a stressful time, but relax and you will do fine.

Ok, lets start over. You will be hard pressed to find numerical values of prep dimensions. I took WREBs so I know how you are feeling. Your best bet would be to ask a faculty member, as schools want you to pass for accreditation reasons. If you need a picture to look at a text book or lab manual is ideal for this to get the right shape and size etc.. WREBs is different then some other exams because you use extracted teeth compared to plastic teeth. My point earlier is that things will vary from tooth to tooth but the preperation typically has a range for ideal. Error on the side of being conservative. If it looks like you need to expand out side of what YOUR normal is, talk to the administrator and if you are justified they will allow it. I know it's a stressful time, but relax and you will do fine.
WREB doesn’t used extracted teeth anymore BTW.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup plastic teeth for endo as of 2018. They're super easy as far as finding the chamber, its right where you'd expect it to be (assuming you know the ideal - look in a textbook). But theyre softer than natural teeth so go slow and steady so you don't perf (we had three in my class have to re-do the endo position for perfing)

Also, they (WREB) do sell practice teeth for you to try. Our school got us endo and prosth teeth from wreb to practice on before we took it.

great thank-you, and my fault for assuming you knew the endo and operative portion is manikin which prb explains why my question may have been a bit confusing to you, thanks again for the help