Wright State vs. Toledo vs. OSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I've posted a similar thread about this in the past, but I wanted one last post to compare these three schools and get any advice I can before I have to make my decision. Thank you so much in advance:

Wright State (Boonshoft school of medicine)
Pros
  • My hometown (very close to family)
  • Girlfriend lives/works in Dayton and I could move into an apartment with her if I attend Wright State
  • I know a few people who will be in my first-year class
  • Comfortable environment - definitely had one of the friendliest faculty and students
Cons
  • Lowest rank of all 3 medical schools I'm considering
  • Not the best facilities - may limit research and other opportunities?
  • I've heard from some current students that Wright State is heavily focused on primary care - not sure if I want to go into primary care or not yet, but I don't want to limit my options before I even start medical school
  • Heavy focus on "team-based learning" while I learn best by studying independently
  • No university hospital - just several "affiliated hospitals" around the area
  • Starting a new curriculum next year - could have some road bumps during this transition
Toledo College of Medicine
Pros
  • I have 2 very good friends who are current M1's and they recommend I go there
  • Loved the facility - great library, labs and other resources that I could utilize early on
  • Diverse match list in a wide range of specialties - I know someone who went to residency at JHU in surgery from toledo last year
  • Associated University Hospital
Cons
  • Not a fan of the city of Toledo
  • Farthest away from home (2.5 hours)
  • Couldn't live with my girlfriend if I went here
  • Starting a new curriculum next year - could have some road bumps during this transition

Ohio State College of Medicine
Pros
  • Highest rank
  • Best Match list (from my limited understanding)
  • Columbus is my favorite city out of all 3 cities I'm choosing between
  • Best facilities and research opportunities with an associated university hospital (unlike Wright State)
  • Dr. Capers was very cool and I really enjoyed my visit/interview
Cons
  • An hour away from home
  • Maybe a more competitive atmosphere? Maybe I wouldn't stand out as much here?
  • Maybe the rankings and better opportunities don't matter, and I wouldn't be limited if I chose to attend Wright State or Toledo instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Two questions.
How serious are you about the gf?
What sort of medicine do you want to go into?

I would vote for ohio State.

Two questions.
How serious are you about the gf?
What sort of medicine do you want to go into?

I would vote for ohio State.

1. Serious girlfriend - thats what is drawing me towards Wright State
2. Not 100% sure - could be orthopedics, but who knows for sure until they start medical school and rotations, etc.

1. Serious girlfriend - thats what is drawing me towards Wright State
2. Not 100% sure - could be orthopedics, but who knows for sure until they start medical school and rotations, etc.
I would be concerned about the quality of rotations for wright and the availability for research. Do any of these schools have home programs for ortho or any other residency you are interested in ?
Could your gf move ?

I would especially choose ohio state if you are thinking about something competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be concerned about the quality of rotations for wright and the availability for research. Do any of these schools have home programs for ortho or any other residency you are interested in ?
Could your gf move ?

I would especially choose ohio state if you are thinking about something competitive.

Wright State does have a level 1 trauma center and a home program for ortho, so there's that. Plus 6 of 7 students matched into orthopedic surgery this year (not sure the quality of the programs or how much that matters).

Nah my girlfriend just started a long-term job centered here in Dayton - she probably wouldn't move during the 4 years I'm in medical school.

Wright State does have a level 1 trauma center and a home program for ortho, so there's that. Plus 6 of 7 students matched into orthopedic surgery this year (not sure the quality of the programs or how much that matters).

Nah my girlfriend just started a long-term job centered here in Dayton - she probably wouldn't move during the 4 years I'm in medical school.
If ortho is what you are after, and wright has a home program, then I would go for it. Having a home program in a specialty you like gives you a leg up, you can build connections , do research, get letters and all the other stuff you need to get into that program plus you can get some good advice from the program director. Just make sure you really want to go to wright, dont end up resentful for the gf situation preventing you from going to Ohio State.

OSU>>>> Toledo>Wright state...

Obviously OSU... Toledo and Wright state are so similar though that if you were deciding between the two, I would go to Wright State as long as you like the school. Gotta keep the girlfriend happy!

I work at a top hospital in the NE and one of the ortho residents here is a Boonshoft grad

Last edited:
I would say Ohio State. I'm from Cincy and I'm heading to Toledo in the fall. I unfortunately didn't get in at OSU or UC (my top two) but if I had, I definitely would have picked either of them over Toledo. City wise, Toledo isn't the best. I will say that one thing that I do like about Toledo was the welcoming, collaborative atmosphere and I agree that you would be able to stand out there, more than if you went to OSU.

As far as the girlfriend goes, while living together would be nice, I think that she would understand and support you if you decide against going to Wright. You guys seem like you are serious and if that's the case, it's only 4 years and you guys will have plenty of time in the future for living together/starting your lives together and all that jazz. My boyfriend will be back home in Cincy and already has plans to visit as often as our schedules will let him. You guys will definitely be able to figure something out

Reactions: 1 user
@CavsFan2016, I think you need to be honest with yourself about the future you truly want to have, which I think is hard in this situation. What I'm getting at is while selecting a medical school everybody mentions things like prestige and research opportunities, but ultimately most don't have any intention of having an academic career. As such, they sacrifice happiness for factors that don't matter down the line simply because they can't, or won't, project their true desires down the road.

With that in mind, if want to be a practicing physician, and that's generally it, you can go to Wright State, have your gf there, have your comfortable social situation, and never look back. Every US Med school will prepare you to be a doctor, and even if you just want a couple generic pubs for residency apps you can do that at any academic center, including Wright State.

If, on the other hand, you see yourself in an academic setting in the future, in policy, trying to lead society's in the specialty of your choice, then I think it's probably worth considering going to OSU. That's for a number of reasons, including that there will be better known faculty with connections that could pay dividends in the future (if you want to live the academic life, etc), a higher percentage of the students around you will push you to keep working towards your research/policy/business/etc goals, and the name may help a bit more (but you aren't comparing Harvard to the Carribean here).

The other factors for me, while I commend the thoughtful consideration of them, would mean very little. Dayton to Columbus is like nothing - I personally wouldn't let that decide your future. I was somebody who thought I could never do long distance and have made it through M3 quite content with a few hr drive separating me from my gf as it allows me to see her but also to focus on Med school curriculum, research, and the whole social environment in medical school. Maybe that won't be you, and I understand t anecdote, but perhaps it provides some comfort that you wouldn't be traveling an unraversed path. Similarly, the whole "group learning" vs "individualized" I think is overblown - everybody studies by themselves for step 1 at some point, and with regard to the first couple of years I think it's as much marketing as anything else (with a couple of exceptions - schools like case or Yale where the have entire systems built around an educational style).

You'll be a doctor capable of practicing any specialty regardless of where you go (in my opinion). While it's hard to know, and even harder to be honest about the type of life you want for yourself after residency, the answer to that question is the only thing that would sway me from one of these schools to another. Again, want to be a practicing physician - possibly in private practice - go to either, aka the one that makes you more socially comfortable, and you'll be fine. Want an academic career, or to be an employee of a large teaching health system with responsibilities beyond the clinic, then OSU may help.

Ultimately selecting any US medical school will not preclude you from any type of career. It only makes certain types of careers more or less likely, and that is likely as much selection bias by students as it is the strengths and weaknesses of the institutions themselves.

Congrats on the options - good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I know I've posted a similar thread about this in the past, but I wanted one last post to compare these three schools and get any advice I can before I have to make my decision. Thank you so much in advance:

Wright State (Boonshoft school of medicine)
Pros
  • My hometown (very close to family)
  • Girlfriend lives/works in Dayton and I could move into an apartment with her if I attend Wright State
  • I know a few people who will be in my first-year class
  • Comfortable environment - definitely had one of the friendliest faculty and students
Cons
  • Lowest rank of all 3 medical schools I'm considering
  • Not the best facilities - may limit research and other opportunities?
  • I've heard from some current students that Wright State is heavily focused on primary care - not sure if I want to go into primary care or not yet, but I don't want to limit my options before I even start medical school
  • Heavy focus on "team-based learning" while I learn best by studying independently
  • No university hospital - just several "affiliated hospitals" around the area
Toledo College of Medicine
Pros
  • I have 2 very good friends who are current M1's and they recommend I go there
  • Loved the facility - great library, labs and other resources that I could utilize early on
  • Diverse match list in a wide range of specialties - I know someone who went to residency at JHU in surgery from toledo last year
  • Associated University Hospital
Cons
  • Not a fan of the city of Toledo
  • Farthest away from home (2.5 hours)

Ohio State College of Medicine
Pros
  • Highest rank
  • Best Match list (from my limited understanding)
  • Columbus is my favorite city out of all 3 cities I'm choosing between
  • Best facilities and research opportunities with an associated university hospital (unlike Wright State)
  • Dr. Capers was very cool and I really enjoyed my visit/interview
Cons
  • An hour away from home
  • Maybe a more competitive atmosphere? Maybe I wouldn't stand out as much here?
  • Maybe the rankings and better opportunities don't matter, and I wouldn't be limited if I chose to attend Wright State or Toledo instead?
Wright state looks to be ideal for you. You will never get those 4 quality years back with your gf. Living with her will reduce your costs substantially and boonshaft is an amazing place to go to medical school!