Wrist Strength

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JavadiCavity

DDS 2008
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the things I heard this last interview cycle from dental students was that I should start working on my wrist strength. I had never even thought about doing such a thing. So, last night, I went to the local sporting goods store and bought one of these gyro-scope balls. I can already feel some results (i.e. a very tired arm, wrist, and hand). Another benefit is that it has a lower chance of causing carpal tunnel syndrome then the other alternatives. Are any of you doing something to improve your wrist strength?

Members don't see this ad.

JavadiCavity said:
One of the things I heard this last interview cycle from dental students was that I should start working on my wrist strength. I had never even thought about doing such a thing. So, last night, I went to the local sporting goods store and bought one of these gyro-scope balls. I can already feel some results (i.e. a very tired arm, wrist, and hand). Another benefit is that it has a lower chance of causing carpal tunnel syndrome then the other alternatives. Are any of you doing something to improve your wrist strength?

Wrist strength? Thats new to me. You might need strong wrists if you're using a hammer and chisel to do preps instead of the trusty ole hand piece. If i were you i'ed work on relaxing before you start dental school, that will definetly benifit you the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
in terms of wrist strength, i have played tennis and violin most of my life so I don't think i will ahve a problem. laters.

JavadiCavity said:
Oooo, that's nice. I got a dynaflex (same brand) but different colors. So far I really like it, but I can only do it for 2 min at a time.

Wrist strength?

Your not going to be roofing a house and you shouldnt be pulling so many teeth in the next few years.

amazing the things people write here. Valueless!

First, take a trip to your non-corporate owned, mom and pop video store. Second, find your way into the 'adult' section'. This area may be marked by a sign 'XXX.' Third, choose the most titillating film available. Finally, take video home, unplug your phone, insert video into VCR, and enjoy. :D Continue this regimen for at least a month, 3-4x/week. Duration of daily session varies with individual.

But remember...

Attachments

• kitten.jpg
    kitten.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 115
ajy1013 said:
First, take a trip to your non-corporate owned, mom and pop video store. Second, find your way into the 'adult' section'. This area may be marked by a sign 'XXX.' Third, choose the most titillating film available. Finally, take video home, unplug your phone, insert video into VCR, and enjoy. :D Continue this regimen for at least a month, 3-4x/week. Duration of daily session varies with individual.

But remember...
I can't believe it took 8 responses before someone took it this direction. I was afraid I'd have to do it myself. ;)

If you are using the handpiece correctly, you shouldn't experience any significant wrist problems. Certainly nothing that would put you at a disadvantage if you didn't develop wrist strength prior.