Writing a letter of Rec for a friend on waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSerenity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is on waitlist. I am considering writing a professional letter of rec to the dean to consider this friend. I know this person well, and I feel I can convey a strong case for her character. I am accepted at this same school. I'm looking to hear some good reasons why I should/should not do this.

Members don't see this ad.

That's kind of you but realistically speaking, you may be overestimating how much influence you have. I'm not sure the dean is going to be particularly moved by your LOR when your only 'leverage' is having been accepted to the school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm looking to hear some good reasons why I should/should not do this.
  • You are a friend and not a professional acquaintance/professor/employer
  • LOR's carry little weight and have been past due for a while now
  • You don't want to endanger your friendship in the event that they don't get in and you end up being the scapegoat

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who is on waitlist. I am considering writing a professional letter of rec to the dean to consider this friend. I know this person well, and I feel I can convey a strong case for her character. I am accepted at this same school. I'm looking to hear some good reasons why I should/should not do this.
The Admission dean isn't going to give a rat's ass for your testimonial.

Reactions: 3 users
Your friend is not on the waitlist because of a deficiency in her character but because there are not enough spots in the incoming class to give one to every qualified applicant. Your letter will not free up a seat.

My brother says this is like teaching a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Reactions: 1 users