writing letters to the programs you intend on ranking high

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berger911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can it help? thoughts please.

Members don't see this ad.

can it help? thoughts please.

I am definitely going to do this. And I'm also trying to keep the lines of communication open with the programs that I liked most (questions, for the most part), so they see that I'm interested. Whether it helps, I'm not sure, but it sure doesn't hurt.

I am definitely going to do this. And I'm also trying to keep the lines of communication open with the programs that I liked most (questions, for the most part), so they see that I'm interested. Whether it helps, I'm not sure, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Boy berger, you're all over the place on preferences.

My Dean (who is the PD for gen surgery at my school - so he's very much a crazy game player) has basically said that you want to inform your #1 that they are your #1. It is more meaningful to come from your Program Chair or someone with connections to the program, because they're sort of vouching for your word. Telling your #2-5 or whatever that you're ranking them "highly" can actually backfire, because you're showing your cards and inherently telling them they're not ranking them #1 (which they could take offense from, or lower you knowing you're a gamble).

I'll also be emailing or mailing a letter to my #1, after my chair makes the phonecall. I'll also be emailing the 3 programs I came across where the PD explicitly stated "email us if you're still interested."

Last edited:
what about programs that explicitly said they do not respond to phone calls, emails, thank you letters, or any form of communication? :)