Writing my own Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1008938

I have been shadowing a dentist for the past few months (obtained over 50 hours) and developed a good relationship with them. When requesting a letter of reccomendation, the dentist wanted me to write it for them and then they would edit it, add their personal touches, and then submit before I apply. I was wondering what the LOR should include, how long it should be, formatting, etc. ? Any details, information, or examples would be very helpful as well!

Members don't see this ad.

You need examples of you being mature, hardworking, compassionate, and dedicated in the dental profession. The absolute worst thing you can do is not susbtantiate anything you say about yourself.

The letter shouldnt be more than a page long

The intent of lors is to find out what others see in an applicant, not what applicants see when they look at themselves in the mirror.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The intent of lors is to find out what others see in an applicant, not what applicants see when they look at themselves in the mirror.
Unfortunately its becoming more and more common for dentists to ask pre-dental students shadowing them to write their own letter. My dentist also asked me to do the same thing and the only thing I can do is comply.

Reactions: 1 user
Talk about yourself like you've known yourself for a long time. Don't let it sound like anything you've submitted to them on paper, or even better, ask someone who's good at writing to write a letter based on your strongest personality traits and a lovely story of how long they've known you. A sociopath can probably write a good one of themselves without making it sound like they are writing it. If not, have someone with a good imagination. If the person who's asking you to write the letter wants to read it, you might not want to write anything too crazy. However, if they are making you write it, they probably don't care enough to read it.