Writing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could I write my essay in a story-like format using first person. I've seen a few examples of these in the past, but I don't know how well they were scoring. On my practices I write my essays with the perspective of a fireman/police officer/doctor/etc. and it makes everything 100x easier. Whats the consensus here?

Members don't see this ad.

Could I write my essay in a story-like format using first person. I've seen a few examples of these in the past, but I don't know how well they were scoring. On my practices I write my essays with the perspective of a fireman/police officer/doctor/etc. and it makes everything 100x easier. Whats the consensus here?

I've heard from credible sources that as long as you hit on everything that they ask you to then you should be fine.

We may not think much about length (I like quality over quantity myself), but length is a factor as well. My essays last time were of higher quality (they hit everything that was asked) but shorter than the first time I took the MCAT, and my score went down (Q --> O).

Don't just bs, but make sure to put some meat on the bones.

With a story format, I have longer essays... I can give a concrete example/counter-example and can expand much more on it. This format will only work for certain topics of course, but I just wanted to know if it is not suggested (a.k.a. may get lower score) with this approach. I have trouble coming up with solid ideas and pretending to be another person (creative writing) is just SO much easier. Other companies said it is ok to lie a little and make up info (a.k.a. BS) with some restraints, but I never heard about writing in first person and/or pretending to write in a different perspective (i.e. say that ur a feminist female worker, while being a guy)