Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Writing Question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by BloodySurgeon, May 18, 2008.

1. BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Could I write my essay in a story-like format using first person. I've seen a few examples of these in the past, but I don't know how well they were scoring. On my practices I write my essays with the perspective of a fireman/police officer/doctor/etc. and it makes everything 100x easier. Whats the consensus here?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I've never seen any written that way. Just keep it simple. ;)

4. WinterLights

Pre-Medical
    I've heard from credible sources that as long as you hit on everything that they ask you to then you should be fine.

5. Chemist0157

Fellow [Any Field]
    We may not think much about length (I like quality over quantity myself), but length is a factor as well. My essays last time were of higher quality (they hit everything that was asked) but shorter than the first time I took the MCAT, and my score went down (Q --> O).

Don't just bs, but make sure to put some meat on the bones.

6. BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    With a story format, I have longer essays... I can give a concrete example/counter-example and can expand much more on it. This format will only work for certain topics of course, but I just wanted to know if it is not suggested (a.k.a. may get lower score) with this approach. I have trouble coming up with solid ideas and pretending to be another person (creative writing) is just SO much easier. Other companies said it is ok to lie a little and make up info (a.k.a. BS) with some restraints, but I never heard about writing in first person and/or pretending to write in a different perspective (i.e. say that ur a feminist female worker, while being a guy)