Writing Sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniLop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few of the schools I'm planning to apply to ask for a writing sample. I've been out of college for a good eight years and don't have any of my papers anymore, so I'm planning on writing something new. What would be a good way to approach this? One co-worker suggested a lit review on a topic that interests me. Any thoughts on that? Has anyone else on SDN been in a similar situation and how did you handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

A few of the schools I'm planning to apply to ask for a writing sample. I've been out of college for a good eight years and don't have any of my papers anymore, so I'm planning on writing something new. What would be a good way to approach this? One co-worker suggested a lit review on a topic that interests me. Any thoughts on that? Has anyone else on SDN been in a similar situation and how did you handle it?

I have not been in this situation, but before embarking on writing anything, I would call the department administrator of the program that requests the writing sample, and ask what you should do. I would call like NOW (don't wait) because when the semester begins and everyone starts reaching out to this individual, she/he will be swamped and less apt to return calls (not saying that they would, but these people get very busy managing applicants, faculty and current students).

For any document that you send, double check the requirements: If it needs to be APA style (doubled spaced, margins at certain width, etc.). Make sure there no type-o errors, and hopefully you have someone who can proofread it for you.

Also, search this forum for past threads on writing samples. I remember there was a discussion on exactly what programs are assessing by reading the samples. It is not just the content of what you're writing, but your writing style and how much effort you put into the task, etc. (Oh, it was thread about a program that requires applicants to submit writing samples during the interview day, which I personally find to be rare.)

Good luck! :luck: