Writing sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychyogini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have submitted an abstract for a conference in Montreal in May, and anticipate it being accepted for a poster presentation. At this point, however, I am still waiting to hear about it. Should I submit the abstract as a writing sample for Clinical PhD applications, even though it, technically, has not been published or presented?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks - I don't really have anything longer as of now. I appreciate the feedback. I was told by my supervisor that I can include the abstract on my CV so long as I note that it was submitted and hasn't been accepted yet. Appreciate the response. Time is of the essence at this point!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a first authored publication (systematic lit review). However, there are three co-authors. While I wrote the majority of the paper, it is obviously not my work alone. Is it okay to submit this as a writing sample? Or would I be better off submitting my thesis or some other piece of writing? Thanks!

I have a first authored publication (systematic lit review). However, there are three co-authors. While I wrote the majority of the paper, it is obviously not my work alone. Is it okay to submit this as a writing sample? Or would I be better off submitting my thesis or some other piece of writing? Thanks!

I would only submit (or would somehow point out) the portions that I wrote directly. otherwise, I'd go with the thesis or something similar, yes.

I have seen this done and it was fine, however, if you have something else available I'd go with that just to be safe.

ETA: if you submit the publication you have to very clearly indicate the other authors.

Thanks. I would be submitting the actual journal article that clearly shows there are four authors. Would this be sufficient?