Writing the MCAT? What does that mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never understood why people say "I'm writing the MCAT," instead of saying something like "I'm taking the MCAT," which makes a lot more sense. It's one of those things that just irks me. Does anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

I never understood why people say "I'm writing the MCAT," instead of saying something like "I'm taking the MCAT," which makes a lot more sense. It's one of those things that just irks me. Does anyone else feel this way?

i write an exam. i write an essay.

you take an exam. you take an essay?

I think it might just be ur cultural bias. To someone who's used to saying "write the MCAT", "taking the MCAT" might sound silly, as if someone's physically moving the MCAT from one place to another.

It bothers me more when people say "I will be taking the MCATs". You're only going to be taking one MCAT, no reason for an s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically you can take the MCAT. It is an evaluation of your premedical knowledge, therefore you're taking the evaluation. It does bug me sometimes because it is SUCH an old school term and I think most of the people who use it are non-trads. It doesn't bother me as much because you do write in the writing portion but if that writing portion wasn't there, then it would. My parents always use "write" when they talk about taking tests or they use the term "paper" to refer to an examination, research paper, quiz, or anything else that might count for a grade. It gets annoying.

Here's a good idea for the thread, let's name all the annoying/favorite/old school/new school terms that you guys have come across or any interesting term related to academia. Round 1! Fight!

-LIS

My parents say "Are you writing your papers?" too, but I thought it was a South Asian thing, I didn't know white parents say it like that also.

i completely agree OP

i write an exam. i write an essay.

you take an exam. you take an essay?

i have never in my life ever heard anyone say "i write an exam" before until i started reading sdn, except for my professors who actually do write exams and appropriately say to the class "i'm still writing the exam so materials from this lecture could find its way onto it"

you write an essay. you take an exam

i completely agree OP

i have never in my life ever heard anyone say "i write an exam" before until i started reading sdn, except for my professors who actually do write exams and appropriately say to the class "i'm still writing the exam so materials from this lecture could find its way onto it"

you write an essay. you take an exam

ditto...i actually never heard of it until 30 sec ago.

if someone irl said to me they were writing the mcat i would ask if they were on the aamc payrole :confused:

I'm pretty sure "writing an exam" is British and Canadian English.

Capn, I believe you are correct. I came down to the US after high school and got razzed all the time for my Canadian idiosyncrasies -- this being one of them. But it sure makes it easier to spot those Canucks now, eh?! :)