Written section

Started by miringains
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miringains

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I often see people commenting on how they didn't practice at all for the WS, and found a magical blog that showed them how to structure their essays. Google has found me nothing. I have done 0 WS practice so far... and it'd be nice to have a good idea about how I am supposed to structure these statements.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As everyone else said, Thesis/Antithesis/Synthesis is the main structure for the essay. Furthermore, there is a list of "dichotomies" for the thesis and antithesis that can help you choose topics for writing (Private vs Public, Child vs Adult, etc).
 
There's a brah on the other forum who grades essays and tutors for free.

Check it, and don't get all rustled up, no tears. The writing sample doesn't matter unless you are applying this round only to Queen's University or Western in Canada.

Western's cut off went from Q to P to O.
 
On my first MCAT I took I didn't practice any writing, and I got an R.
I followed the directions they give about rewording the statement (I do try to use entirely different words), giving an instance where it's not true, a time when it is, and then how do you decide if its okay to agree with the statement or break the statement. I gave examples on both of mine. Used proper punctuation and grammar. Some nice sounding articulate fancy words here and there to keep things novel.
I kept the examples simple, not controversial. (One of my examples was of two hypothetical kids eating ice cream on the side of the road arguing.)