Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

wrong pills?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by bashaut, Feb 22, 2007.

1. bashaut

bashaut Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I have an interview for pharmacy school in Iowa next week and I would like to hear your answers as pharmacists on what would you do if you gave the wrong pills to a patient?
    Thanks!

2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'd start by giving them the correct ones. An apology, too. Maybe something free, say waive their copay. After that, nothing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't like the idea of giving monetary compensation.

I try to explain what happend and let them know specific steps that will be taken to prevent a recurrance.

Incident reports are good for finding patterns and system problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. VanduchiPharmD

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, you apologize to them, get them the correct stuff, give them their copay back as well as waiving their new copay, then go on and find out why it happened, and file a report documenting everything you did and did not do.

Also, if they took some of the medication, call the physician let them know as well in case they would like to do something.

Good luck in your interview, I graduated from Iowa in 05, I really enjoyed going there, but remember to have fun, Iowa City makes it easy to do that :)

5. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

:thumbup: exactly that & in about exactly that same order!

6. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Moving to pre-pharmacy as this is an interview prep question. :)

7. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This may be an interview prep question....but its also relevant to current students & practioners!