wrote MCAT three times...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayHealthy2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m a Canadian student that wants to apply to US medical school this coming cycle. However, I've written my MCAT for three times (Jul 2016: 505-128/123/130/124, Jun 2017: 510-128/122/132/128, Jul 2018: 519-131/126/131/131). I've heard conflicting things about MCAT retakes, and how it can damage my application or even lower my chance of securing an interview or acceptance.

Am I in bad shape for USMD application because I've taken my MCAT three times?

Thank you so much for any help/clarification in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It'll probably depend on the schools you're applying. But judging from your consistent increase in your score, it looks good.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not ideal to take it 3 times but the score increase will help you out (especially the subsection improvement). You can explain your reasons for retaking in interviews if asked. Consider making a thread in What Are Your Chances? forum to get more input from Goro and Faha as to what schools to apply.

Awesome job on the score increase. That is not an easy feat! At this point, you should not be worried about your MCAT retakes because they are in the past and you saw an increase! That What Are Your Chances? forum will be a great spot for you to learn about schools that may be more accommodating of retakers. "More accommodating" can mean many things, in your case, you might want to look for schools that do a super score and look at your highest section score from each test. Either way, you have earned a tremendous score and you should not be too concerned about the 126 in CARS on your 519 exam! Good luck