wRVU for clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yunsenb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a PDF or other link that can simply explain RVU breakdown for each type of visit and procedure for FM and Primary Care Sports Medicine procedures?

In your experience, what takes a level 3 to 4 or a level 4 to 5? What is the average going rate for a wRVU?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a PDF or other link that can simply explain RVU breakdown for each type of visit and procedure for FM and Primary Care Sports Medicine procedures?

In your experience, what takes a level 3 to 4 or a level 4 to 5? What is the average going rate for a wRVU?
CMS has a look up tool for every CPT code. Google it.

AAFP has some great coding resources. Google those too.

Median wRVU rate for family med is around $40.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For a work RVU (wRVU) there is no average going rate, as it's typically set (99213 - 0.97 wRVU, 99214 - 1.5 wRVU, etc). Some CPT code wRVU's may change for year to year, however I would recommend using the AAPC work RVU calculator if you would like to know the unit rate.

Work RVU Calculator - Relative Value Unit - AAPC

Hope that helps.

The below site is nice for the majority of inpt and outpt wRVU for level of care billed (I have no affiliation with the site, but reference it from time to time).

Work (wRVU) and Total (tRVU) List For Hospitalist E/M CPT® Codes.

I haven’t found a good list for nursing home/SNF/Personal care home wRVU on one page
This was a very imformative link, thanks so much! Particularly interesting is that smoking cessation coding, I wonder how often providers bill for it, it would be a huge waste of revenue not to! Same for the advance care planning codes

This was a very imformative link, thanks so much! Particularly interesting is that smoking cessation coding, I wonder how often providers bill for it, it would be a huge waste of revenue not to! Same for the advance care planning codes
Because smoking cessation takes about 30sec to do, if discussing and advising about a med that’s another 30sec, in 10min I can be seeing another pt and billing more than .5 RVU- in my opinion.