WSJ: Tulane Med hardest hit by restructuring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see the morning paper today? WSJ had an article about Tulane's restructuring. What was worrisome is the article specifically mentioned the medical school there taking the hardest hit (people laid off, cutbacks and such).

On a side note, I always thought that once you're tenured you're secure, but even tenured faculty can be let go.

I didn't see any indication in the article that there would be a reduction in the # of seats for medical schools. Though other programs (degrees?) and activities (some sports?) were getting cut back.

I'll see if I can find an online link to the article.

Members don't see this ad.

Y_Marker said:
Did anyone see the morning paper today? WSJ had an article about Tulane's restructuring. What was worrisome is the article specifically mentioned the medical school there taking the hardest hit (people laid off, cutbacks and such). I always thought that once you're tenured you're secure, but even tenured faculty can be let go.

I didn't see any indication in the article that there would be a reduction in the # of seats for medical schools. Though other programs (degrees?) and activities (some sports?) were getting cut back.

I'll see if I can find an online link to the article.
CNN.com says that 180 faculty are being cut from the medical school. It goes on to say that these are mostly clinical faculty - cut because of a lack of patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you look at that discussion there, it seems that anyone affiliated with the teaching hospitals was known as a "clinical professor", so it's to be expected... especially since two major hospitals are shutting down. This faculty cut shouldn't affect medical education entirely too much - the press is reacting based on pure numbers. I mean, do you really think any student graduating with an MD has been taught something by 500 professors? :)

Why can't I find this article in today's WSJ?

unfrozencaveman said:
Why can't I find this article in today's WSJ?

page b2

There is also a blurb on the front page.