WSOA conference slanders podiatry - Seattle, WA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This deserves a response re-emphasizing what our education and residency training is really all about. Her numbers/ data were not even close to being true. Saying that podiatrists don’t need to do CME? I mean…really?

What you don’t understand is that so many MD/DO from all different specialities don’t know much about podiatry.

Now you have an MD saying false information which could potentially change referral trends or ortho could earn some new alliances to go to government and try and change the laws. She even mentioned that in her presentation. She is advocating for physicians to lobby and get laws changed.

The biased faulty articles, the joint meeting, presentations with false information. AOFAS is literally trying to build a case to overhaul the laws. The fact they have members presenting and lobbying for this on a national level is downright disgusting and despicable.

This was a hit piece on so many levels and you want to be diplomatic about it?
I agree with you. Cant let her stand up and give presentation with 100% false information. She made some of those slides up based on only her opinion. There is no way she got the "facts" on boards certification, CME, etc from anywhere but her own mind.

The neurosurgeon agreed to lobby against podiatry on film at the conclusion of her talk. He agreed because she provided him with absolute blatant lies about our training which he took as fact.

I've never really had any issues with ortho foot/ankle surgeons. Trained under them in residency. They taught me all their tricks and I have a lot of respect for them. There are always going to be bad apples on both sides. But this lady needs a formal legal response for slander.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
...I've never really had any issues with ortho foot/ankle surgeons. Trained under them in residency. They taught me all their tricks and I have a lot of respect for them. There are always going to be bad apples on both sides. But this lady needs a formal legal response for slander.
Same. And right now, one of my local F&A Orthos is actually kinda cute, so no complaints from me. I might collaborate. :)

In all seriousness, though... yeah, I know it needs a basic reply when any doc bashes other and probably needs 'cease and desist' tonality. But no, I don't think it's worth spending too much time or energy on... that is probably her intent (spread the word, more and more views of the lecture, distraction for DPMs to fixate on, etc).

Last edited:
Same. And right now, one of my local F&A Orthos is actually kinda cute, so no complaints from me. :)

In all seriousness, though... yeah, I know it needs a basic reply when any doc bashes other and probably needs 'cease and desist' tonality. But no, I don't think it's worth spending too much time or energy on... that is probably her intent (spread the word, more and more views of the lecture, distraction for DPMs to fixate on, etc).

I’m not fixated on it. She literally is going to change peoples perception of the profession with her LIES.

Hello? Helloooooo? Anybody in there @Feli

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not fixated on it. She literally is going to change peoples perception of the profession with her LIES.

Hello? Helloooooo? Anybody in there @Feli
I realize that. It is never good to have public bashing of professions. It will be dealt with.

This has gone on again and again from foot surgery text chapters decades ago to journal articles and letters to editor to ortho (usually F&A) lectures, etc. It is definitely bush league, but it's also a minority view/agenda for the most part.

It is funny that they'd be so blatant about it when there are 15k+ practicing podiatrists and less than 2k F&A orthos (although ~25k total ortho). I think any of us know this turf battle and scope disparagement happens often in private conversations in doc lounges, surgery locker room, CME meetings, etc. Either way, never a good look to attack others publicly. I agree. It will get sorted out.

I think the appropriate response is to be as aggressive as possible. Because that is exactly what they are scared of.
This. They expect us to be the whiny little brother as usual and cry 'unfair' and that 'we can do everything you can do'. This is part of the strategy; constantly force us into justifying our existence in the surgical community.

We need to do the unexpected. I want aggressive campaigning by APMA/ACFAS directly attacking this nonsense. Something along the lines of 'while we respect our F&A ortho colleagues training in treating THE WHOLE BODY, as podiatrists we have 7-8 years of education/training focused ONLY ON THE FOOT compared to the 1 year F&A fellowship orthos have'. Look for the "P" when searching for a foot & ankle doctor. That'd get their attention.

Reactions: 1 users
While we await a response from the APMA and others, please remember not to share that video with others. At this point, we do not want that video to gain additional views; the goal is for it to die down on its own (or removed legally). We have to be a little patient from this point forward, but I agree that there has to be some response/action from our governing bodies.

This. They expect us to be the whiny little brother as usual and cry 'unfair' and that 'we can do everything you can do'. This is part of the strategy; constantly force us into justifying our existence in the surgical community.
I’m expecting a milquetoast Susan Collins-esque statement of being “disappointed” and “dismayed” among other strong words.

We need to do the unexpected. I want aggressive campaigning by APMA/ACFAS directly attacking this nonsense. Something along the lines of 'while we respect our F&A ortho colleagues training in treating THE WHOLE BODY, as podiatrists we have 7-8 years of education/training focused ONLY ON THE FOOT compared to the 1 year F&A fellowship orthos have'. Look for the "P" when searching for a foot & ankle doctor. That'd get their attention.

You could even take it a step further. Argue that the lower extremity should be treated like dentistry which requires it's own separate degree due to it's "complex nature" or whatever. Make the argument that a DPM degree is REQUIRED to treat the foot/ankle (kind of like DDS/DMD for the teeth/mouth).

There is a pathway for dentists to acquire a medical degree if they do the appropriate residency/supplemental training. Make something like that for MD/DO that match ortho and want to subspecialize in foot/ankle. Again, this would never happen. But I like the idea of making such a crazy pitch in the face of these ridiculous accusations and lies.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m expecting a milquetoast Susan Collins-esque statement of being “disappointed” and “dismayed” among other strong words.
excellent. Can you maybe suggest something Murkowski like?

• Haha
We need a strong response. If there's no response then everyone is being complacent like @CutsWithFury said because they all "made it" there's no skin off their backs.

Us younger folks like myself are trying hard to learn and prove them wrong that we are competent physicians in the new age and we are more than qualified to eat at the same table as the MD DO counterpart.

We need a strong response. If there's no response then everyone is being complacent like @CutsWithFury said because they all "made it" there's no skin off their backs.

Us younger folks like myself are trying hard to learn and prove them wrong that we are competent physicians in the new age and we are more than qualified to eat at the same table as the MD DO counterpart.

There must a very strong response. The entire presentation was 100% false. You can’t do that. You can’t produce a lecture that literally defames any entire profession with false information. You can’t produce a lecture where you pass your opinion as fact.

She made some outlandish claims. My most favorite was that she claims podiatrists operate on sicker patients with more comorbidities like we are “reckless”.

No you dumb biotch. You and your ortho colleagues are a bunch of vaginas who dump these patients onto podiatry on a daily occurrence. My God. This narrative needs to end. It was even documented in the research articles. Everyone in medicine knows this to be true. But for her to flip the narrative that podiatry is actively seeking these patients and choosing to do complicated reconstructions is beyond obnoxious.

Reactions: 6 users
There must a very strong response. The entire presentation was 100% false. You can’t do that. You can’t produce a lecture that literally defames any entire profession with false information. You can’t produce a lecture where you pass your opinion as fact.

She made some outlandish claims. My most favorite was that she claims podiatrists operate on sicker patients with more comorbidities like we are “reckless”.

No you dumb biotch. You and your ortho colleagues are a bunch of vaginas who dump these patients onto podiatry on a daily occurrence. My God. This narrative needs to end. It was even documented in the research articles. Everyone in medicine knows this to be true. But for her to flip the narrative that podiatry is actively seeking these patients and choosing to do complicated reconstructions is beyond obnoxious.
You don’t send mailers or advertise that you love to perform surgery on very high risk patients? Jeez, how else are you going to fill your schedule with aggressive and unnecessary cases.

I work with 4 ortho foot and ankle docs and they all told me she’s the one who looks like an idiot and no one ever heard or her.

The AOFAS likely put her up to it.

Now I’ve got to get back to the OR to perform elective surgery on an obese patient with sleep apnea, CRPS, PVD and an A1C of 17.3.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
You don’t send mailers or advertise that you love to perform surgery on very high risk patients? Jeez, how else are you going to fill your schedule with aggressive and unnecessary cases.

I work with 4 ortho foot and ankle docs and they all told me she’s the one who looks like an idiot and no one ever heard or her.

Now I’ve got to get back to the OR to perform elective surgery on an obese patient with sleep apnea, CRPS, PVD and an A1C of 17.3.
So true. In fact, if I catch wind that a patient is healthy, I send them to a foot and ankle orthopod. Who has time for that?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I got a referral yesterday from ortho on a wound patient I had treated in past. Patient has AKA, severe lymphedema, history chronic wounds that are slow to heal, and now a trimal. The ER consulted ortho (non F&A) who stated "Call podiatry - patient is diabetic".

Anecdotal testimony here. But how many times have we heard this? Its constant. They want the ankle fractures unless patient is a train wreck. Then its time to call podiatry because we are experts with diabetes and lower extremity.

• Love
I got a referral yesterday from ortho on a wound patient I had treated in past. Patient has AKA, severe lymphedema, history chronic wounds that are slow to heal, and now a trimal. The ER consulted ortho (non F&A) who stated "Call podiatry - patient is diabetic".

Anecdotal testimony here. But how many times have we heard this? Its constant. They want the ankle fractures unless patient is a train wreck. Then its time to call podiatry because we are experts with diabetes and lower extremity.

100% accurate. Has been non stop since I became an attending. Then the AOFAS and every author of these despicable research articles have the audacity to document that and INTERPRET that podiatrists perform surgeries on complex patients on purpose?

I’d love all the healthy patients ortho scoops up but that’s not how the world goes round. We take on more complicated surgeries on sicker patients by default.

Orthopedists are a bunch of cowards.

Fun fact about me many don’t know: I did a flatfoot recon on Pearl from the first Blade movie. The stupid F&A ortho in town turned her down... she did great!!! 🤪

C40BBB01-B467-4CC8-B667-3C865C08E893.jpeg

• Wow
  • Love
Fun fact about me many don’t know: I did a flatfoot recon on Pearl from the first Blade movie. The stupid F&A ortho in town turned her down... she did great!!! 🤪

View attachment 354796
You did a flat foot recon on her? I can’t believe you didn’t just pop in a few HyProCure implants.

I seriously question your surgical decision making.

You did a flat foot recon on her? I can’t believe you didn’t just pop in a few HyProCure implants.

I seriously question your surgical decision making.
Whats a flatfoot? I think you meant to say peri-talar dislocation

You could even take it a step further. Argue that the lower extremity should be treated like dentistry which requires it's own separate degree due to it's "complex nature" or whatever. Make the argument that a DPM degree is REQUIRED to treat the foot/ankle (kind of like DDS/DMD for the teeth/mouth).

There is a pathway for dentists to acquire a medical degree if they do the appropriate residency/supplemental training. Make something like that for MD/DO that match ortho and want to subspecialize in foot/ankle. Again, this would never happen. But I like the idea of making such a crazy pitch in the face of these ridiculous accusations and lies.

Honestly, there’s nothing that crazy about what you are suggesting. It’s called fighting fire with fire. Why is general sports ortho doing a pediatric toe fracture and taking 4.5 hours to complete it? This is a real example that I witnessed.

Let’s all be honest, we spend plenty of time in the hospitals. Last I checked, the knee and hip ortho is not managing or dealing with stroke patients or managing rheumatic disease. Neither are we.

We perform surgeries KNOWING that the patients systemic co-morbidities play a role in their recovery. Just like ortho. We are good at we do. Those of us who have dealt with slander like this on a personal level are even more sensitive to it.

It’s not our fault that their less motivated residents decided to take a longer route to foot and ankle surgery. I am planning a campaign for where I work to introduce “Foot and Ankle Pain? Look for the D.P.M. Only podiatrists are truly uniquely qualified to treat the entire spectrum of foot and ankle pathology. From toes to tibia, we do it all.”

It will be funny and hilarious, until it’s not.

We need to be more pro active and the national bodies need to grow a pair. Good on you Fury for posting.

Talo-tarsal dislocation is “the” buzzword.
Thats why I say peri-talar dislocation to fly under the radar.
I aint dumb!

Edit: According to the video I might be pretty dumb because being a DPM I can't figure out what genu recurvatum, genu varum, genu valgum, hip dysplasia, etc is or know to refer because I havent trained on the entire body.

Im too ignorant and can't figure out that maybe I shouldn't do a triple on a person with severe genu varum without further workup as they will favor the lateral column and have lateral column pain.

Too high for my intelligence level. Shucks.

Last edited:
It has been an ongoing fight for years. If anyone is surprised, then you haven’t been in the game long enough.

I aint dumb!

Edit: According to the video I might be pretty dumb because being a DPM I can't figure out what genu recurvatum, genu varum, genu valgum, hip dysplasia, etc is or know to refer because I havent trained on the entire body.

Im too ignorant and can't figure out that maybe I shouldn't do a triple on a person with severe genu varum without further workup as they will favor the lateral column and have lateral column pain.

If you simply keep chanting…the toe bones are connected to the foot bones and the foot bones are connected to the ankle bone and the ankle bone is connected to the leg bone and the leg bone is connected to the thigh bone……….it’ll put it ALL into perspective.

I aint dumb!

Did you say lateral column pain? I'm just a simple podiatrist, but I believe the medial column is supposed to touch the ground.

1652878891173.png

If you simply keep chanting…the toe bones are connected to the foot bones and the foot bones are connected to the ankle bone and the ankle bone is connected to the leg bone and the leg bone is connected to the thigh bone……….it’ll put it ALL into perspective.

You’re forgetting the theme of our sicker patients. The toe bones are connected to a specimen cup…

I think your decimal point was off.

New wrinkle to the story, I have heard about a podiatrist, well-trained at a nationally known program in her same city. Supposedly a female foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon is trying to get his privileges taken away for total ankles he does I think maybe 10 to 12 a year. Has to be the same person.... Will confirm. Apparently apma and acfas are actively working on fighting back against this on behalf of the podiatrist will try and find out more info.

Edit - And listen, I'm not trying to be a jerk here..... But this person is fellowship trained. So for those people that think oh if I do a fellowship I will be respected by my orthopedic colleagues.... You are still a podiatrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I asked a F&A ortho whom I'm familiar with on social media what she thought about this and the whole battle between ortho and pod etc and her response was, "There's more than enough work. I honestly don't care". As I see in her stories living out her best life and another pod who did 96 surgeries in 120 days or something to that extent.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Did you say lateral column pain? I'm just a simple podiatrist, but I believe the medial column is supposed to touch the ground.

View attachment 354820
Only 5 screws? Arent podiatrists supposed to use too many expensive fancy implants and spend too much money on hardware? Clearly this is an orthopedists work.

Only 5 screws? Arent podiatrists supposed to use too many expensive fancy implants and spend too much money on hardware? Clearly this is an orthopedists work.
Speaking of which, I saw some pictures of some nitinol screws.... Interesting concept in the right place. Let's just say they were being used in the wrong place with the wrong mechanical principles applied...

Speaking of which, I saw some pictures of some nitinol screws.... Interesting concept in the right place. Let's just say they were being used in the wrong place with the wrong mechanical principles applied...
Sounds expensive. Must use.

New wrinkle to the story, I have heard about a podiatrist, well-trained at a nationally known program in her same city. Supposedly a female foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon is trying to get his privileges taken away for total ankles he does I think maybe 10 to 12 a year. Has to be the same person.... Will confirm. Apparently apma and acfas are actively working on fighting back against this on behalf of the podiatrist will try and find out more info.

Edit - And listen, I'm not trying to be a jerk here..... But this person is fellowship trained. So for those people that think oh if I do a fellowship I will be respected by my orthopedic colleagues.... You are still a podiatrist.

This is an egregious act. She is being malicious and she's acting out either because she is really uninformed or she's doing it on purpose. You can sue for defamation if someone is spreading lies publicly for no reason other than to hurt a person or entity. Which she is doing. A lawsuit would stop her in her tracks and implicate her orthopedic practice which would make her boss rather unhappy.

Cease and desist letters is a wimpy response. A lawsuit speaks volumes. Anything less than a lawsuit for this matter is unacceptable.

Last edited:
This is an egregious act. She is being malicious and she's acting out either because she is really uninformed or she's doing it on purpose. You can sue for defamation if someone is spreading lies publicly for no reason other than to hurt a person or entity. Which she is doing. A lawsuit would stop her in her tracks and implicate her orthopedic practice which would make her boss rather unhappy.

Cease and desist letters is a wimpy response. A lawsuit speaks volumes. Anything less than a lawsuit for this matter is unacceptable.

This is her social media profile. Let’s put a face and name to this egregious act.

View attachment 354831
Now you're just being an online bully but Elon will let you do that

Man I do not miss having to deal with this type of stuff. As the only podiatrist in town and with only two other orthopedic providers in town, life is easy. They do most of the ankle fractures where I am at but there was a fibula fracture that was weirdly displaced and pinching on the peroneals. Bull stepped on the dude, these aren't big city problems. So they were like hey can you fix this cuz it's not a normal ankle fracture LOL

Also, let me go on record as saying I don't think that a public shaming campaign online with social media is appropriate. I understand we take this personally as not real doctors. But things need to always maintain a level of professional stuff.

Man I do not miss having to deal with this type of stuff. As the only podiatrist in town and with only two other orthopedic providers in town, life is easy. They do most of the ankle fractures where I am at but there was a fibula fracture that was weirdly displaced and pinching on the peroneals. Bull stepped on the dude, these aren't big city problems. So they were like hey can you fix this cuz it's not a normal ankle fracture LOL

Also, let me go on record as saying I don't think that a public shaming campaign online with social media is appropriate. I understand we take this personally as not real doctors. But things need to always maintain a level of professional stuff.

You are such a wimpy liberal

It is. Pretty sure same hospital/system.

I agree she shamed herself. She talks on camera and doesn't even have her facts straight, makes her opinions less believable.

Yup. Rotated there as a student. Went to grand rounds at Harborview and sig Hansen was in the audience. Sangeorzan and Bernischke ignored us to their fellows. They made comments in front of us. The XR of cases they showed were questionable. Lapidus done with 20 screws and plates. Looked like a medial column fusion for a bunion. Hansen is brilliant, read his book and he loved teaching regardless of your credentials.

I like how the host of the above talk disregards the fact that Christensen does plenty of TARs at Swedish on a regular basis in addition to the residency program. Maybe he should have the MD lady that and the excellent results he’s had over YEARS of doing TARs
Christensen is a really nice dude. Knowing him, he wouldn’t start any fire with anyone.

While we await a response from the APMA and others, please remember not to share that video with others. At this point, we do not want that video to gain additional views; the goal is for it to die down on its own (or removed legally). We have to be a little patient from this point forward, but I agree that there has to be some response/action from our governing bodies.
This video needs to be shown to every podiatrist that way we will fight as one.

This video needs to be shown to every podiatrist that way we will fight as one.
Video appears to be either made private or taken down. Let’s hope that’s just the start.

Video appears to be either made private or taken down. Let’s hope that’s just the start.

Good take that garbage down. A video takedown is not enough. A lawsuit for defamation would go a long way. Otherwise we will see another dumb orthopedist produce another public lecture in the near future defaming us. We can’t tolerate this behavior anymore. The public criticism and slander needs stop especially when they base their reasoning on false information and pure fiction. Time to draw a line in the sand.

Here is another video of Dr. Kohring MD bashing podiatry. This video is from one year ago.

She talks about podiatry at the end of the video at 10:15 minute mark. She states podiatrists don’t work in academic hospitals. She says podiatrists don’t train in academic centers as well.

She’s really making this strong opinion about podiatry because she’s fixed some complications from podiatry. I’ve fixed numerous complications dumped on me by orthopedists in my young career. We all have. Maybe ACFAS/APMA should host podiatrists and we can be petty and present all the previous orthopedic cases podiatrists have revised.

She has a problem with blatant lying. Something in her head just goes off and she makes up lies about podiatry without even doing any research. This is similar to how Bruce Sangeorzan thinks. Podiatry can never do right in his eyes. These people are unwillingly to be open minded and learn about our training and education to make a reasonable decision.

Last edited:
Everyone here needs to adopt and spread Cutswithfurys attitude and spread this attitude amongst DPMs. Honestly, it is enough. Too many people cower because other providers have an “MD” behind their name.

I practice in a major metropolitan area and DPMs do close to 70 percent of all foot and ankle cases using Stryker, while ortho does 30 percent. And yet, somehow they have anti-DPM MDs giving speeches and dinner talks. DPMs eat it up and show up to these dinners for a little steak and belittlement. Need to fight fire with fire here. I’ve brought it up to my rep so he knows the tide is turning; I don’t give a crap if this guy is a consultant for you, plenty of DPMs doing quality work in the city who could be consultants.

Mind you - we never started this fight. Orthos F/A did. More of us than them.

For a little context, here is a drunk man’s history of podiatry, be proud of what we all do, we do quality work, despite the “easy admission to foot school”

Attachments

• 0C61F6FE-5EA2-44F2-ADAA-BE57138F87ED.jpeg
    0C61F6FE-5EA2-44F2-ADAA-BE57138F87ED.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 128
  • B3C056DD-5B3E-4149-A2C4-F3F043D1255D.jpeg
    B3C056DD-5B3E-4149-A2C4-F3F043D1255D.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 138
  • C1163874-A988-49ED-985E-ACA2F57EB6E2.jpeg
    C1163874-A988-49ED-985E-ACA2F57EB6E2.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 122

Lets start targeting videos from leading health organizations misleading the public

Dude I told you these crappy biased research articles are being used as "data" to put down podiatry. I am telling you this is the beginning. This is mis leading the public. They are going to try and out market us. Their journals will continue to publish these studies despite faulty data. This is how they are choosing to beat us. APMA and ACFAS need to do something.

And while we are at it please can we not shoot ourselves by lotioning our patient's feet....

And while we are at it please can we not shoot ourselves by lotioning our patient's feet....

I have only worked in hospitals as a podiatrist. But let me tell you what. I HATE treating patients who come to the hospital clinics from private practice podiatrist offices because their podiatrist retired. They expect foot baths, foot rubs with lotion and for me to dremel their nails. Thats not happening. They always get pissed and tell them welcome to hospital based podiatry.

They also get mad that I can't work some special payment plan so they can be seen every 6 weeks for nail care. Seriously I hate this.

I have only worked in hospitals as a podiatrist. But let me tell you what. I HATE treating patients who come to the hospital clinics from private practice podiatrist offices because their podiatrist retired. They expect foot baths, foot rubs with lotion and for me to dremel their nails. Thats not happening. They always get pissed and tell them welcome to hospital based podiatry.

They also get mad that I can't work some special payment plan so they can be seen every 6 weeks for nail care. Seriously I hate this.
LMAO. When a mustache pod retires, It’s time to take a few months off and let the problem sort itself out…

This. We all know Medicare is cracking down on fraudulent 11721 visits that do not meet qualifications. Yet old and young pods continue to do it. Young pods do it because old pods say you can. Have fun giving back all the money back you just spent on your Model X.