WTF: First interview invite comes in February?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I gave up on the allo world many many months ago and am going to be matriculating at a DO school. I'm going into rural family medicine so this suits me just fine. I opened my email today and there was an interview invite to U of Vernment. I applied there this summer and they invite me this late? Are you essentially interviewing for a waitlist spot this late in the season? I can't really afford to go to the interview so I will likely decline.

ETA: The bitchy replies have caused me to clarify here: this post was meant to 1) Let my SDN peers know I got this invite since I know I like to get such updates on others 2) a public expression of shock 3) to find out if I have a shot. I'm not sure why my post has been so poorly received but perhaps it's due to Lent or possibly the sadness we all feel over Britney Spears going into rehab.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go unless it is essentially impossible. Vermont is known to train excellent primary care physicians and no, it is not for a waitlist spot. Congratulations!

So, I gave up on the allo world many many months ago and am going to be matriculating at a DO school. I'm going into rural family medicine so this suits me just fine. I opened my email today and there was an interview invite to U of Vernment. I applied there this summer and they invite me this late? Are you essentially interviewing for a waitlist spot this late in the season? I can't really afford to go to the interview so I will likely decline.

Its a good school. You should go! You will be stupid not to visit :p. I promise you that YOU will love it there :) I think its more than worth it to spend 15-16K extra per year to go there over LECOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have to go!!! are you kidding me!!?!?!?

Congrats Mies! I'm very happy for you. I think you should go but I also understand why it would be hard to uproot your family and move to VT.

GO!! Trust me, you will LOOOOVE UVM. I fell in love with Vermont after I visited. Plus, they are one of the BEST primary care institutions in the country.

I'd go to Vermont over LECOM anyday. Go to the interview and impress them. Good luck.

yes, i definitely recommend going as well. even if you are just considering it as a possibility.

Hi, MVDM,

I know you really like LECOM and that there are locational considerations involved in your choice. However, I recommend going to the UVM interview anyway. It's a great school; they are very well-known for producing great PCP's. I used to live in Burlington, VT, and I can say that it is a great city. It's a package worth checking out, in my humble opinion.

You'll regret not going. Go go go!

I interviewed recently at the University of Vermont and I think it is a great school. You definitely would not be interviewing for the waitlist. Why does your profile say you were rejected by Vermont??? Rural family medicine - Vermont would be perfect for your interests and Burlington is a great town. Definitely go the interview. You have a shot at getting admitted.

::jealous:: I love Vermont and Burlington is beautiful.

Please, please go...for the love of God. And good luck :)

Maybe this means I can have some hope?

-after viewing yoru stats, I can understand... you have some great extracurriculars and a solid GPA/MCAT... good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MVDM, are you a mom? If so you are the first mom I know who knows what WTF means.. =)

Congratulations on the invite! I totally think you should go. I'd followed your posts for a while and I'm really happy for you! I know there are a lot of considerations to think about, but even if you decide to matriculate LECOM, at least if you go to the VT interview you won't have nagging doubts later, wondering whether you should have gone or not. Definitely worth a shot.. =)

Good luck!!!

It depends if you value the waste of money to travel. It will be like paying $500 to receive a rejection.

It depends if you value the waste of money to travel. It will be like paying $500 to receive a rejection.

Hey, look everybody. It's Mr. Positive. I bet you're a blast at parties. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I say go!!! Burlington is a beatiful place too! Lots of opportunities to be exposed to rural medicine as well - perfect for your goals....

go

go

go!

im sorry but im sure many people would like to take your position even if they turned in the summer or not. get a dose of humility asap.

im sorry but im sure many people would like to take your position even if they turned in the summer or not. get a dose of humility asap.

I was simply sharing my shock with the pre-allo crowd and seeking to find out if I had a realistic shot. I am genuinely shocked to get this invite. As for I humility, I'm going to LECOM for god's sake. Have you ever seen what people say about LECOM on here? Not possible for us LECOMers to not have humility.

I'm frustrated because I would love to go to this interview but I have to think of my kids and do what's best for them. It's a very hard thing to do sometimes. I'm genuinely torn over this. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

To those I've offended, a thousand pardons. Mea culpa. I have failed many times in my life, so for those without interview invites, I have felt your pain. It does not change my need for advice from my pre-allo comrades.

You were planning on spending more money on interviews than you have, right? The Vermont schools are good, the area is good, the program is good, etc. Many parents take a traditional curriculum and support their family just fine. You may ultimately decide to take LECOM's altered curriculum (I think they are making home-study concessions for your family, right?) But the option to study at one of the best programs in rural medicine would be a good option to have when it comes to final decision time...

I would go...find the money and do it...it is worth the chance...that is as long as your willing to attend the school if you are accepted

I was simply sharing my shock with the pre-allo crowd and seeking to find out if I had a realistic shot. I am genuinely shocked to get this invite. As for I humility, I'm going to LECOM for god's sake. Have you ever seen what people say about LECOM on here? Not possible for us LECOMers to not have humility.

I'm frustrated because I would love to go to this interview but I have to think of my kids and do what's best for them. It's a very hard thing to do sometimes. I'm genuinely torn over this. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

To those I've offended, a thousand pardons. Mea culpa. I have failed many times in my life, so for those without interview invites, I have felt your pain. It does not change my need for advice from my pre-allo comrades.

Don't concern yourself over people who might feel "offended"; that's their problem. Do what is right for you and your family. Those who have followed your posts know that you are nothing if not humble. :thumbup:

On that note, I think you are doing the right thing by considering your family in your decision process. Perhaps it would be wise to get a family meeting of sorts together to discuss this issue. Hopefully you can all reach some sort of consensus together.

I wouldn't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. I guess I'd feel similarly to what you've already shared. That is, you are already set to go to medical school in a location that is friendly to you and your family. It would be relatively easy. I don't think your choice of residency would be hindered by attending LECOM and you genuinely like the school. Lots of pros, here. On the other hand, UVM is a kick-ass school for training PCP's and Burlington would be a good town to move your family, if you had to. The minus would be that you would have to uproot your entire family. That's fairly major, especially with younger school-aged kids with established friends and such. Personally, I think this is a decision I could not make unless I had more data. That's why I think you should interview at UVM. You need to gather all the facts, all your feelings, and all the considerations of your family, together and see what comes out of it.

Well, I don't have a spouse and kids, so I obviously can't stand in your shoes. Whatever choice you make, though, I hope you can fully align yourself with it such that you won't have any regrets. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Don't concern yourself over people who might feel "offended"; that's their problem. Do what is right for you and your family. Those who have followed your posts know that you are nothing if not humble. :thumbup:

On that note, I think you are doing the right thing by considering your family in your decision process. Perhaps it would be wise to get a family meeting of sorts together to discuss this issue. Hopefully you can all reach some sort of consensus together.

I wouldn't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. I guess I'd feel similarly to what you've already shared. That is, you are already set to go to medical school in a location that is friendly to you and your family. It would be relatively easy. I don't think your choice of residency would be hindered by attending LECOM and you genuinely like the school. Lots of pros, here. On the other hand, UVM is a kick-ass school for training PCP's and Burlington would be a good town to move your family, if you had to. The minus would be that you would have to uproot your entire family. That's fairly major, especially with younger school-aged kids with established friends and such. Personally, I think this is a decision I could not make unless I had more data. That's why I think you should interview at UVM. You need to gather all the facts, all your feelings, and all the considerations of your family, together and see what comes out of it.

Well, I don't have a spouse and kids, so I obviously can't stand in your shoes. Whatever choice you make, though, I hope you can fully align yourself with it such that you won't have any regrets. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Very well put:thumbup:
Goodluck in whatever you decide MVM

and your chief complaint is what? :rolleyes:

Your H&P would be:

CC: bitchin' and moanin'
HPI: Pt is a young female who c/o receiving an allo interview invite late in the interview season. Her concerns also include interviewing for a waitlist spot. She is low on cash and already is accepted at a DO program. However, she feels the need to post her story on SDN.
PMH/PSH: most likely some Axis II d/o

etc.

seriously, your post just screams, "i still want to go to allo school." care to disagree?

seriously, your post just screams, "i still want to go to allo school." care to disagree?

Oh, for crying out loud. Why must everything be about DO and MD to premeds? That sort of thinking kind of pisses me off. Have you considered the possibility that she might be wanting to balance family considerations with attending a potentially better program? :rolleyes:

Wow pre-allo is bitchy! Meow! Pre-osteo is considerably less vicious.

Spiced: thank you for the thoughful response. That's exactly how I'm feeling. My family is as freaked out as me so I think we'll be having a family meeting this weekend after the whiplash wears off.

I will keep all interested (friendly and bitchy alike) SDNers posted on what we decide...

thanks everyone!:)

Oh, for crying out loud. Why must everything be about DO and MD to premeds? That sort of thinking kind of pisses me off. Have you considered the possibility that she might be wanting to balance family considerations with attending a potentially better program? :rolleyes:

my comment was in reference to her pathetic post...:idea: i don't touch do vs md discussions because if you're in one area the other doesn't pertain to you. you sound like a premed or some disgruntled FP resident to me. take care.

my comment was in reference to her pathetic post...:idea: i don't touch do vs md discussions because if you're in one area the other doesn't pertain to you. you sound like a premed or some disgruntled FP resident to me. take care.

you need to go eat some gumdrops or pet a bunny or something dude.

you need to go eat some gumdrops or pet a bunny or something dude.

have you read your original post? you said you gave up on allo many months ago. so why feel the need to talk about an allo interview invite if you are going into DO school? then you talk about your financial situation and how it will LIKELY result in declining the offer. this does not sound like someone who ever gave up on allo school. pick up a book or two in psychiatry and tell me what defense mechanism you're using. i'm done with my medical education in several months so hurry up.

have you read your original post? you said you gave up on allo many months ago. so why feel the need to talk about an allo interview invite if you are going into DO school? then you talk about your financial situation and how it will LIKELY result in declining the offer. this does not sound like someone who ever gave up on allo school. pick up a book or two in psychiatry and tell me what defense mechanism you're using. i'm done with my medical education in several months so hurry up.

i meant I assumed I wouldn't get any allo interviews since I'd applied early and hadn't gotten any. Now I have received an interview invite and it is surprising to me and throws me for a loop. The issue for me is that U Vermont is a really nice school in a really nice setting. It's not so much the MD v DO thing, more of a qaulity of program thing. The post was really meant for the pre-allo peeps who have been with me since June. I wanted their insight and to share with them.

Irony is so ironic. :D

MVDM, I'm one of those who has been following your application process for some time. I know you feel like your world has been turned upside down by this unexpected invitation after you thought you had finalized your plans. But remember: you are going to be a doctor in the end, no matter what happens with this invite; you have an acceptance in hand; your dream is coming true! Try to focus on this when the anxiety threatens to overwhelm you.

I agree with the poster who suggested you need more information in order to make this decision, and taking the interview is the best way to get that info. Who knows--you may get there and find that this seemingly "difficult" decision suddenly becomes quite simple. They may prove to be as accommodating of your family situation as LECOM has said that they will be, or you may get a sense of future problems down the road should they offer you a spot in their class. But you won't know unless you go, let them get a good look at you, and take your turn at asking them the hard questions. Given the debt load you'll soon be taking on, what's another $500 compared to the peace of mind that comes from knowing you've done your best to make a fully-informed decision?

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Dude, she just wants to know if she has a chance at this school given the timing of the invite. Why spend time and money on a school if you're just interviewing for a waitlist postion?

Edit: And while I'm at it... do us all a favor, grab some KY and rub one out. Hopefully, it will put you in a better mood. :) Thanks.

Dude, she just wants to know if she has a chance at this school given the timing of the invite. Why spend time and money on a school if you're just interviewing for a waitlist postion?

Edit: And while I'm at it... do us all a favor, grab some KY and rub one out. Hopefully, it will put you in a better mood. :) Thanks.
:laugh: excellent advice.

Well, congrats on getting the interview. :) Without all those depressing practical considerations (being a nontrad sucks sometimes), I think it'd probably be a perfect place for you. With them, don't know. My thought is that if it's at all possible to go, I'd go. Maybe your mom or mil could take the kids for a few days, and you could drive, or you guys could all go and make it a fun roadtrip.

:luck:

Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup: :smuggrin:

you don't need KY if you've never been circumcised.

i don't know why I am commenting on this.

SMEGMA!

MVM, I've only read your posts in this thread, but I have followed posts this entire application season, especially yours because of your unique situation with regards to a career in medicine.

First off, Congrats! I'm very excited for you and can only hope for the best with whatever advice/decision you take.

Here is my advice: Do what's best for your family. Handling any career, especially a career in medicine, is difficult to balance with family life. Taking that into account, I feel feel that the family can handle a possible move to Vermont, by all means go to the interview. If they can't, stick with LECOM and don't even bother going to the interview. Just my advice though...

I just like to add. I dont think you are going to be interview for a waitlist. Even if you are, the list will move fast, since it's an expensive school and people will tend to stay with their state MD school over Vermont. Either way the schools is many times better than LECOM (no disrespet), especially if you want to pursue rural medicine. Plus, burlington's one of the better places to raise kids. It's also very much non-trad friendly.

I know ppl with better stats than both of us getting rejected...so they are looking for something specific that you have :)

Actually, for UVM, I believe that pretty much ALL interviews are for waitlist spots for OOSers. They then get rolled in over time.

And congrats, MVDM. I like seeing nontrads knock 'em out of the park. I've heard UVM is very pro-nontrad as well...

:laugh: just wait until you're at home though. people get in trouble for things like that in the library.

Everyone interviews for a waitlist at UVM, I don't think they accept anyone outright, even extremely qualified in-state applicants (see user Max8 on here), but thats not to say you won't get waitlisted then get pulled off at some random time. I was on for 2 months, got in, some were on for days, weeks, etc and got in.

Definetly go, you'll like it.

If uprooting your children was such a concern, then why did you apply to 20 schools outside of your home state, some as far away as Michigan and Tennessee?

Given that only three of the schools on your lengthy list are osteopathic and added well after your submitted your AMCAS, D.O. was your plan B. Go to the interview--you were obviously hoping for better and now you have the chance.

If uprooting your children was such a concern, then why did you apply to 20 schools outside of your home state, some as far away as Michigan and Tennessee?

Given that only three of the schools on your lengthy list are osteopathic and added well after your submitted your AMCAS, D.O. was your plan B. Go to the interview--you were obviously hoping for better and now you have the chance.

While I don't disagree that she should go to the interview and at least check out the school unless there is a compelling reason her hubby can't move, I disagree with the rest of your post.

Perhaps, initially she was hoping for MD schools but maybe she's grown to like the DO philosophy and the school she's considering going to. I know in my home state we have the LECOM-B campus and NOVA and NOVA is a really well built DO school with a reputation for a good 50% of their graduates getting in top notch MD residency programs. Their facilities are far superior in many ways to the facilities of many of the MD schools in the state. A lot of the students who initially applied mostly MD and NOVA as a back up ended up loving NOVA better after they interviewed there and are actually happier there then they believe they might have been if they went elsewhere.

Additionally, about 3 years back I knew a girl who got into a few MD and DO schools and chose a DO school in the Northeast region because she felt that it was a better program and fit for her.

I agree. Besides, going to interview doesn't obligate you to matriculate!

Perhaps, initially she was hoping for MD schools but maybe she's grown to like the DO philosophy and the school she's considering going to.

Perhaps. However, people entirely content with their D.O. path do not start threads inquiring "[do] I have a shot?" in the pre-allopathic forum. Just my opinion, of course, but the children are an excuse. If the Vermont invite had come in even just a month earlier, she would have been in Burlington in two seconds, no "WTF" thread needed for justification. Far easier to decline and proclaim that LECOM "suites you just fine," then have your allo-hopes raised and dashed... yet again.

Additionally, about 3 years back I knew a girl who got into a few MD and DO schools and chose a DO school in the Northeast region because she felt that it was a better program and fit for her.

Fair enough. However, OP has no basis for making such a comparison without attending at least one MD interview.