WTF: First interview invite comes in February?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If uprooting your children was such a concern, then why did you apply to 20 schools outside of your home state, some as far away as Michigan and Tennessee?

Given that only three of the schools on your lengthy list are osteopathic and added well after your submitted your AMCAS, D.O. was your plan B. Go to the interview--you were obviously hoping for better and now you have the chance.

Yeah but things change once you've gotten in a school in your home state. I know someone who has a family and is planning on applying out of state as a back up if its the very last option, but if the option is there and he gets in and MD or DO school here he would go here even if he had an interview out of state. Does that make him horrible for applying to those schools?? No.

Perhaps she originally wanted to consider those schools but the more she got into the process she realized she didn't want to leave.

You'd be surprised by how many people apply to a lot of schools initially only to change their minds either pre or post interview during the middle of the cycle. Sometimes its not til they are in the midst of the app cycle that they truly understand what they want as far as schools go. At least if she turns it down it shouldn't affect us because she'll be giving someone else who wants to go there more an opportunity.

That said, UVM is still in the northeast regiion and if you are in Pennsylvania then that isn't too far. Going from the tip of the panhandle of Florida to the tip of South Florida would be a longer drive then that. But the NE states are pretty close to one another making the distance much less.

I'd go to the interview but I say that on the basis of the fact that I've heard wonderful things from a friend who posts on here and who goes to my institution. UVM was one of their first interviews and they were very positively impressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone interviews for a waitlist at UVM, I don't think they accept anyone outright, even extremely qualified in-state applicants (see user Max8 on here), but thats not to say you won't get waitlisted then get pulled off at some random time. I was on for 2 months, got in, some were on for days, weeks, etc and got in.

Definetly go, you'll like it.

Hey, NW, you're my hero.

If uprooting your children was such a concern, then why did you apply to 20 schools outside of your home state, some as far away as Michigan and Tennessee?

Given that only three of the schools on your lengthy list are osteopathic and added well after your submitted your AMCAS, D.O. was your plan B. Go to the interview--you were obviously hoping for better and now you have the chance.

You guessed wrong. And I said what's best for my kids, not that I was worried about uprooting them. Toddlers rarely have roots to uplift. It's another issue altogether. The needlessly bitchy nature of Pre-Allo never ceases to amaze me.

For all following my story: My husband and I are conflicting over this. I'd like to go to the interview but he thinks I'm crazy because we laready put a $1500 deposit down at the other school. We'll decide this weekend... Thank you for all the helpful replies!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
You guessed wrong. And I said what's best for my kids, not that I was worried about uprooting them. Toddlers rarely have roots to uplift. It's another issue altogether. The needlessly bitchy nature of Pre-Allo never ceases to amaze me.

For all following my story: My husband and I are conflicting over this. I'd like to go to the interview but he thinks I'm crazy because we laready put a $1500 deposit down at the other school. We'll decide this weekend... Thank you for all the helpful replies!:love:

But the $1500 is refundable right? I say you owe it to yourself to go!! :luck: :luck: :thumbup:

But the $1500 is refundable right? I say you owe it to yourself to go!! :luck: :luck: :thumbup:

DO deposits are generally non-refundable. I still think its worth giving the allo route a shot, what do you have to lose. Only the $500 to go to the interview.

I'm so jealous! At least try to find a way to go to the interview, even if it is difficult.
You can always turn down an acceptance once you get it, but why close the door on this option before you even visit the school?! Don't decide until you check it out.
If you get in to UVM, it will open up so many more options for you in the future.

You won't likely remember that $1500 when you are happily where you want to be, wherever that is. If I were you I would want all the facts and impressions to help me decide such a huge choice; thus, go to the interview. QED. :D

I'm so jealous! At least try to find a way to go to the interview, even if it is difficult.
You can always turn down an acceptance once you get it, but why close the door on this option before you even visit the school?! Don't decide until you check it out.
If you get in to UVM, it will open up so many more options for you in the future.

^I agree with this. You never know, you might change your mind later on re: what specialty you want to go into.

I think you should definitely go to the interview and rock it!

Hey MVDM, Ok, I think I can post intelligently now that I've read this entire thread...(and what's with all these negative comments people?)

I'm grew up in Burlington VT and I live here currently. My mother is a Dr associated with UVM Col of Med and she and my father moved my family away from both their families (NYC and SCarolina) when she chose to do her residency at Fletcher Allen (UVM's associated hospital). I LOVED growing up in Vermont and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's true, our public school system lacks some of the specialized options of greater metropolitan areas....but it's completely made up for by excellent teachers and a wonderful living environment. The Burlington area has been rated again and again as one of the top 3 places in the country to raise kids. And the UVM Community is a great one for a family to be a part of.

Go to the interview. You deserve to and you'll love the school. PM me if you have any questions:)

Hey, NW, you're my hero.

you mean heroine? He had a sex change operation since all his interviews :laugh:

and MVDM, I want to make this loud and clear...
GO
GO
Go
Go
to vermont

p.s i am not biased

you mean heroine? He had a sex change operation since all his interviews :laugh:

You should probably go to the source for that question..... seems a bit personal to be asking on a public pre-MD forum anyways:)

Holy crap, I'm glad I started this thread. I think if I hadn't I would have just told myself I needed to turn the invite down and done it and regretted it. I did something similar when I was in college and have always regretted it.

So, I emailed my husband a ten point argument in favor of going to the interview and it worked! We're loading the kids up and driving there (10 hour drive+ 2 toddlers= loooong ride). It's March 8th and I'll update y'all on how it goes. I'm so insanely excited and nervous. If I actually get in it'll be a miracle. But I'll be glad I went either way.

And Severus: yes, DO deposits are non-refundable! It's evil.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to go! You all are the best :love: Now, send me good luck vibes and lost cause prayers :)

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, hey, I had a quick question: I applied to UVermont back in July. Should I send them my updated transcripts before the interview? I've taken two classes since then. I've also gotten new letters of rec since then but they seem to have a strict limit on number of letters.

So, send the transcripts or not?

Wow pre-allo is bitchy! Meow! Pre-osteo is considerably less vicious.

Yup.....Pre-Allo is the Thunderdome......Pre-Osteo is kind of the SDN version of Happy Tree Friends

That or some bizarre premed version of Barney the Purple F--king Dinosaur.......

"I love you, you love me.....
we're all gonna be doctors,
even if we don't get an MD" :smuggrin:

Yup.....Pre-Allo is the Thunderdome......Pre-Osteo is kind of the SDN version of Happy Tree Friends

That or some bizarre premed version of Barney the Purple F--king Dinosaur.......

"I love you, you love me.....
we're all gonna be doctors,
even if we don't get an MD" :smuggrin:

:smuggrin: :laugh:

i meant I assumed I wouldn't get any allo interviews since I'd applied early and hadn't gotten any. Now I have received an interview invite and it is surprising to me and throws me for a loop. The issue for me is that U Vermont is a really nice school in a really nice setting. It's not so much the MD v DO thing, more of a qaulity of program thing. The post was really meant for the pre-allo peeps who have been with me since June. I wanted their insight and to share with them.

my goodness; i thought your original post was very clear; even without a family as you have i could hear your frustration, excitement and concern. I truly don't know why so many people misunderstood your question with your post. IMHO I think if you can get the money together I'd go; bring the family, make it a mini vacation and let them all check out the area. Although you were happy with your previous decidion, you can't make a totally educated decision unless you have all the knowledge to work with. And don't live with 'what ifs" and regrets; it's the worst feeling in the world. All the best with your decision.

BTW, what does your husband do...can he easily relocate?

oh, hey, I had a quick question: I applied to UVermont back in July. Should I send them my updated transcripts before the interview? I've taken two classes since then. I've also gotten new letters of rec since then but they seem to have a strict limit on number of letters.

send them or bring them if they won't get them in time. when's the interview? (sorry i didn't read the whole thread if you mentioned it further along)

i meant I assumed I wouldn't get any allo interviews since I'd applied early and hadn't gotten any. Now I have received an interview invite and it is surprising to me and throws me for a loop. The issue for me is that U Vermont is a really nice school in a really nice setting. It's not so much the MD v DO thing, more of a qaulity of program thing. The post was really meant for the pre-allo peeps who have been with me since June. I wanted their insight and to share with them.

Another non-trad parent here (a dad). Seems to me it's worth a look. You'll be spending several years wherever you go and it would be nice to compare your options. Going to a better school could literally mean the difference between being a very stressed mom (not good) or an occasionally stressed mom (better). Either way, you need to find the better school for you, and location is not the only consideration, hopefully. If you go to a better school, you might get better training, which could help you in your career, which seems important to me. I hope it works out for you no matter what you decide. (((:)luck: ))))

my goodness; i thought your original post was very clear; even without a family as you have i could hear your frustration, excitement and concern. I truly don't know why so many people misunderstood your question with your post. IMHO I think if you can get the money together I'd go; bring the family, make it a mini vacation and let them all check out the area. Although you were happy with your previous decidion, you can't make a totally educated decision unless you have all the knowledge to work with. And don't live with 'what ifs" and regrets; it's the worst feeling in the world. All the best with your decision.

BTW, what does your husband do...can he easily relocate?

My husband is an architect so he's fairly portable as long as an area is big enough to need architects (not too many super-rural architects out there). Poor guy already followed me to tow different cities for grad school and now he's doing it again for med school. But he will get to a "doctor's husband" and play bridge with the ladies at the country club :thumbup: :laugh:

Congrats!!! I'm really happy that you decided to go to the interview. And that your husband is going along with it. Who knows? Maybe he'll end up never wanting to live anywhere else. :p

Holy crap, I'm glad I started this thread. I think if I hadn't I would have just told myself I needed to turn the invite down and done it and regretted it. I did something similar when I was in college and have always regretted it.

So, I emailed my husband a ten point argument in favor of going to the interview and it worked! We're loading the kids up and driving there (10 hour drive+ 2 toddlers= loooong ride). It's March 8th and I'll update y'all on how it goes. I'm so insanely excited and nervous. If I actually get in it'll be a miracle. But I'll be glad I went either way.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to go! You all are the best :love: Now, send me good luck vibes and lost cause prayers :)

MVDM,

I just wanted to echo the others on here and say I think that it is a really good idea for you to go on the interview. For me, honestly it wasn't until after I had seen a few schools up close that I really got a feel for what it was I was looking for in a school (facilities, program, rotations, etc. the works). I've only heard good things about UV. I think that you'll like what you see. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!!:thumbup:

Yes send the LOR and transcripts. You probably can do it the day you go to interview...[email first to see if its ok]. i would put both in a sealed envelopes (signed by LOR writer and school respectively if you can)

P.S glad you are going! future classmate ;).

Hey MVDM,

I was going to write a whole long message trying to convince you to go, but it looks like you already made up your mind to go, so I'll save myself the trouble. Congratulations on your invite, and good luck at your interview.

Hey MVDM,

I was going to write a whole long message trying to convince you to go, but it looks like you already made up your mind to go, so I'll save myself the trouble. Congratulations on your invite, and good luck at your interview.

MVDM,

I am so happy that you decided to give the interview a shot! Congrats and I wish you all the best :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm really glad that you decided to go to this. Have a good time :)