WTF? Free Gibbs Energy on Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slide

Finally, no more "training"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So recently this company called DoctorsinTraining stops by for a lunch presentation to present their product for Step I prep. I decided to sit through their pre-recorded video presentation and see what they were all about. I wasn't too impressed, but one thing did catch my attention; the presenter mentioned on Step I that there were some oddball questions that would be on the test, like the Gibbs Free Energy equation. I also recalled one of my M3 buddies telling me that he saw Organic chem questions on his test, but I assumed that they were biochem or pharm questions in disguise. Now I'm really not sure, it just seems weird for MCAT stuff to be on the Step I. Anyone have any anecdotes about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I've been a little leary of this doctorsintraining.com company. They've made a Facebook profile (not group) and have been asking me to be their friend for like the last 3 weeks. It seems like they are trying to make inroads into a market that is pretty saturated. I'm not sure who is going to risk their Step 1 score on a new company. Either way, I wouldn't worry about the bloody Gibbs Free Energy equation...this isn't the MCAT, and that won't matter in the long run.

Honestly I've been a little leary of this doctorsintraining.com company. They've made a Facebook profile (not group) and have been asking me to be their friend for like the last 3 weeks. It seems like they are trying to make inroads into a market that is pretty saturated. I'm not sure who is going to risk their Step 1 score on a new company. Either way, I wouldn't worry about the bloody Gibbs Free Energy equation...this isn't the MCAT, and that won't matter in the long run.

I wound up blocking them on facebook after the 5th friend request.

Members don't see this ad :)
not relevant, not important, not on there. not in any biochem text (that is worth the trouble of decoding). back to glorious studies

I had Gibbs Free Energy on Step I.

Was it basically figuring out how to use G = H - T x S?

BTW, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing these types of questions because I was a chem major, but Im just surprised the NBME would put something like that on the USMLE.

Was it basically figuring out how to use G = H - T x S?

BTW, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing these types of questions because I was a chem major, but Im just surprised the NBME would put something like that on the USMLE.

No direct H-TS calculations. Basically two equations were given:

A + B --> C + E (G for equation given)
C + D --> B (G for equation given)

and we were to find delta G for A + D --> E ..... so simply had to add 2 equations.

It might have been experimenal Q though.

DIT is out of galveston, tx mainly and many of the third years at my school took it last year and most everyone had great things to say about it and recommended it. Me and a lot of my friends are planning on taking in a couple months.