WTF is a "letter of interest"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ah, the joys of fellowship applications. One program wants a CV, another wants a completed application, a CV, four LORs (including one from med school), med school transcripts, official USMLE scores, a copy of your Dean's letter, a personal statment and a semen sample.

One program I'm considering requires a "letter of interest." Is that a personal statement? Is it just a letter saying I really really really want to join your program? Is it some sort of bastardized hybrid?

I'm going to get some advice from faculty in my program, but I wanted to know if anyone here had any thoughts.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, the joys of fellowship applications. One program wants a CV, another wants a completed application, a CV, four LORs (including one from med school), med school transcripts, official USMLE scores, a copy of your Dean's letter, a personal statment and a semen sample.

One program I'm considering requires a "letter of interest." Is that a personal statement? Is it just a letter saying I really really really want to join your program? Is it some sort of bastardized hybrid?

I'm going to get some advice from faculty in my program, but I wanted to know if anyone here had any thoughts.

Thanks.

would assume its a letter stating why you are interested in the program. What specifically about their residency attracts you. Sounds simple enough, find out as much specifics about the program and then ad lib some BS paragraphs about how you born to train that way.

Treat it like a personal statement. Introduce yourself, state your specific interest in the program, and career goals. I think even for programs that don't request one you should include one.

Treat it like a personal statement. Introduce yourself, state your specific interest in the program, and career goals. I think even for programs that don't request one you should include one.
When will this all end? This whole need to justify one's career goals...we're in our late 20's or 30's now...enough of this!