WTF is up with my verbal scores!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the heck is up with my verbal scores. I have taken all of these tests under test conditions (60 mins/test), finished all with ~ 15 mins to spare to go over answers and in the library with ear plugs (exception was first test). Can anyone explain my bizarre score trend?

EK 101 #1 - 6 (taken watching Californication at coffee shop... honey-badgered that one)
EK 101 #2 - 7
EK 101 #3 - 10
EK 101 #4 - 13
EK 101 #5 - 14
EK 101 #6 - 10 :confused:
EK 101 #7 - 14
EK 101 # 8 - 8 :confused::scared:

I know I am capeable of a good score in verbal, but I am getting seriously concerned about my strange score trend... Anyone have a similar experience with EK 101?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man. Back when I went through EK I stayed steady at 12/13 for the first half of the book then as I proceeded my scores began to fluctuate. I wouldn't start worrying too much. Just use it as practice and when you do score lower review your mistakes carefully and see where your lapse in thinking may have been. Once you start your AAMCs the verbal is a much better predictor

Members don't see this ad :)
Went

AAMC 3: 10
AAMC 4: 10
AAMC 5: 7!?!?!?

Got done with the first passage and thought... "what the f was that?" And from there on I just couldn't get in a groove. Hoping this doesn't happen again.

I wouldn't worry about the variation too much. I think it's more from the differences in tests rather than in your performance. I remember getting a 13 two weeks before my MCAT, and then a 7 the following week. Thankfully the 7 was the aberration. That being said, go over the tests and see if there are any trends (like passage subjects) where you do worse. You can then change how you approach those passages in the future.

I find that for verbal (moreso than any other section), when I perform poorly, so have other test-takers... so don't judge your performance on the verbal section based on how you responded to one or two passages. Everybody seems to encounter trouble on the same passages.

I wouldn't worry about the variation too much. I think it's more from the differences in tests rather than in your performance. I remember getting a 13 two weeks before my MCAT, and then a 7 the following week. Thankfully the 7 was the aberration. That being said, go over the tests and see if there are any trends (like passage subjects) where you do worse. You can then change how you approach those passages in the future.

Do you mind if I ask what you ending up getting on the real thing?

I ended up with a 13. The one thing that last week taught me was to always pick the answer choice that best fit the main idea. I was constantly going back and changing right answers to wrong ones because I could find some bit of textual support for an answer that didn't feel as correct. Fixing that, I was happy with my score.

I ended up with a 13. The one thing that last week taught me was to always pick the answer choice that best fit the main idea. I was constantly going back and changing right answers to wrong ones because I could find some bit of textual support for an answer that didn't feel as correct. Fixing that, I was happy with my score.

My next AAMC... this is what I'm going to be doing. I'll let you know how it goes.