Program-Specific Info / Q's WUSTL MSOT 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatcar

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just thought I'd start a thread for people to post stats/ when they've heard back and whatnot. I haven't seen one for WUSTL. We should be hearing back by next month!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! I'm anxiously awaiting to hear back from WUSTL. I received an email yesterday from them saying that they're currently reviewing applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here. I saw that last year they started sending out letters on October 27th, so I was hoping to hear back by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Losing my mind waiting!! Only today and tomorrow left in November. I have a deposit for another school due next week, so I really want to know (in case I get in, I want to have time to make the decision)

Losing my mind waiting!! Only today and tomorrow left in November. I have a deposit for another school due next week, so I really want to know (in case I get in, I want to have time to make the decision)
Same!! Ugh I'm so stressed out

Well. Maybe today?

And so the wait begins again. It probably won't happen on a Monday though. My deposit for another school is due Thursday so I'm very anxious to hear.

And so the wait begins again. It probably won't happen on a Monday though. My deposit for another school is due Thursday so I'm very anxious to hear.
UGH! I wish they would just tell us when they will tell us! Anyone feel like calling to ask??

Haha I was hoping someone else would!

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them, so hopefully I'll get a response ASAP.

UPDATE: They said by the end of the week. They've been having technical problems which is what has made the decisions take so long to send out. She also said I should be receiving 'good news' so I'm trying not to freak out and think that I got in

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE: They said by the end of the week. They've been having technical problems which is what has made the decisions take so long to send out. She also said I should be receiving 'good news' so I'm trying not to freak out and think that I got in
WOW-- GREAT news! Thanks for the update and congrats!!

That's awesome, congrats!! Thanks for emailing them!

I just received an email asking from WUSTL asking for me to send my official GRE scores, except I already did and it says on OTCAS that they accepted them on 10/06/17. I called and emailed them back, but now I'm dying of anxiety about this. Did anyone else get this email??

No, how strange - maybe it's part pf the tech glitches apparently they're having? Have you heard back?

Nope, haven't heard back. I sent Robin (the woman who originally emailed me the GRE notice) my unofficial scores PDF and a screenshot of my OTCAS account that says the scores were accepted on 10/6 but I thought my application had been complete for months so I'll be pretty upset if this means my application hasn't been looked at yet/affects my chances of getting in.

I guess I understand if they're having issue with their software or whatever, but they could send an email out saying when they will have decisions, or post on their website or SOMETHING!? I feel that generally, as a school, WUSTL is super responsive but this is just weird.
@cmakepeace2013, did they ever get back to you?

I guess I understand if they're having issue with their software or whatever, but they could send an email out saying when they will have decisions, or post on their website or SOMETHING!? I feel that generally, as a school, WUSTL is super responsive but this is just weird.
@cmakepeace2013, did they ever get back to you?

Still haven't heard back. I called twice today and emailed again, but no response. Today I sent her the email I received in October stating that my application was complete and forwarded to the admissions committee. I'm just confused as to how this could have happened and I don't think it's fair if I have to pay another $27 just to get my application looked at when it was submitted and complete months ago.

I just received an email that I was accepted! I hope this means everyone will hear soon! I wish all of you luck and really hope you don't have to resend your GREs @cmakepeace2013. Super frustrating and unfair, I totally agree.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard back yesterday from them! Accepted into the OTD program but I will probably be changing to the MOT program because I can't justify spending that much money and going back into debt! Plus I want to get some hands on experience before going back for my OTD!

I was officially accepted 12/7.

I submitted my app the first week of September.

- Psych major, public Health minor
- 3.53 GPA
- GRE : 160v, 149q, 4.5 writing

Shadowing
- 30 hours hand therapy
- 20 hours elementary school
- 10 hours SNF
- 50 hours outpatient clinic

Experience
- 1:1 aide in a toddler program where they receive OT/PT/speech
- Direct support for adults with Autism
- Nanny for a child with autism
- Research Assistant at a VA hospital

I was also involved in clubs and the philanthropy coordinator for my sorority.

Congratulation to all of you who were recently accepted! Seems like they are beginning to review and decide on September apps so I have a long way to go :/ Does anyone know when they expect to notify everyone by? I couldnt find it on their website. I applied pretty late around thanksgiving time, and I know this is obvs way too early to get a decision but I'm still ridiculously anxious already!! How do people survive this waiting game

I submitted my application on October 1st.
University: University of Portland
Major: Psychology
Minor: Neuroscience
Overall GPA: (OTCAS) 3.49
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: Around a 3.8 depending on the school
GRE 1: 157V, 154Q , AW:4.5
GRE 2: 156V, 158Q, AW: 5.0

Current Work: Behavioral Therapist at the Center for Autism and Related Disorder's

Observation/Volunteer hours: Autism Clinic volunteer (154 hr), Providence Sports Center (14 hr), Armwork hand therapy (8 hr), Advanced Pediatric therapies (72 hr), Orthopedic clinic (111 hr), Albertina Kerr (20 hr), Battle Ground Healthcare (142 and continuing).
Total hours: 521 hours total

LOR: A professor from my senior year, my OTL/R mentor who I have been working with for over a year and am currently conducting research with, the OTL/R that I worked under at the orthopedic clinic.

Applied to: Midwestern-Downers Grove, San Jose State, Cleveland State, Washington University, Midwestern-Glendale, Touro University Nevada, University of Illinois at Chicago

Acceptances:WUSTL, Cleveland

Rejections:

Interviews:Midwestern-Gelndale

I submitted my application on October 1st.
University: University of Portland
Major: Psychology
Minor: Neuroscience
Overall GPA: (OTCAS) 3.49
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: Around a 3.8 depending on the school
GRE 1: 157V, 154Q , AW:4.5
GRE 2: 156V, 158Q, AW: 5.0

Current Work: Behavioral Therapist at the Center for Autism and Related Disorder's

Observation/Volunteer hours: Autism Clinic volunteer (154 hr), Providence Sports Center (14 hr), Armwork hand therapy (8 hr), Advanced Pediatric therapies (72 hr), Orthopedic clinic (111 hr), Albertina Kerr (20 hr), Battle Ground Healthcare (142 and continuing).
Total hours: 521 hours total

LOR: A professor from my senior year, my OTL/R mentor who I have been working with for over a year and am currently conducting research with, the OTL/R that I worked under at the orthopedic clinic.

Applied to: Midwestern-Downers Grove, San Jose State, Cleveland State, Washington University, Midwestern-Glendale, Touro University Nevada, University of Illinois at Chicago

Acceptances:WUSTL, Cleveland

Rejections:

Interviews:Midwestern-Gelndale

Cleveland state is probably alot cheaper than Wash U. It is nice to graduate without debt

Cleveland state is probably alot cheaper than Wash U. It is nice to graduate without debt
Haha actually with scholarship WashU is only 1k more (if I do the MOT program). And as great as the program looks I am leaning towards WashU just because their are more resources, they have connections with top fieldworks sites and they have way more professors engaged in research. Im still incredibly happy with both schools but thats just where my head is at currently

I was accepted 12/20 to the MSOT program (but if attending, will consider switching to the OTD program)!!! Beyond thrilled by my admissions as I LOVE the program but still debating due to $$$ and still waiting to hear back for most schools that I applied. Just curious, to those of you that have been accepted already, did they offer you merit based scholarship money with your offer? I received some, but only a tiny bit, maybe 3k a semester? Do you know if assistantships were also offered at the same time, or can I still apply for those?

I was accepted 12/20 to the MSOT program (but if attending, will consider switching to the OTD program)!!! Beyond thrilled by my admissions as I LOVE the program but still debating due to $$$ and still waiting to hear back for most schools that I applied. Just curious, to those of you that have been accepted already, did they offer you merit based scholarship money with your offer? I received some, but only a tiny bit, maybe 3k a semester? Do you know if assistantships were also offered at the same time, or can I still apply for those?
HI I just got accepted as well and received about the same amount of money ! I am going to try and see if there are more scholarships available.

I received about 2,500 a semester and a little over a 1,200 for the fieldwork semesters. I wish it was more and am looking at scholarships as well!

Hi I plan on attending Washington University Occupational therapy doctorate next fall. Is anyone planning on observing day of class this spring or are you just going to go in the fall ?

I was also accepted on 12/20. Just curious, did you all receive an email from Shannon?

Has anyone sent in their deposit check yet? If so, has it been cashed?

Has anyone sent in their deposit check yet? If so, has it been cashed?
I sent in my check a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard back from them. I also checked about an hour ago and the check hasn't been cashed either :/

Hi all! Congrats on getting accepted to WUSTL! I'm currently a first year student at WUSTL (who is on break and was bored - hence getting back on the forum a few days ago). If you have any questions you want to ask about the program that you don't feel comfortable going through official channels (i.e. Robin, Shannon, or a current student that will reach out via phone/email), you can post to this thread/message me privately. At this time last year, I had help from several would be classmates and a first year student on this forum, and would like to offer the same to you all! Best of luck in choosing the best OT program for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for posting - I would really love to hear your thoughts about the WUSTL program! I have been accepted to WashU and UIC, and I am trying to decide between the two. UIC's program is more affordable and 5 months shorter, but WUSTL has a lot to offer!

What set apart WUSTL for you, and has it lived up to your expectations? What is the class structure like, and that of a typical day or week? Is it easy or difficult to get fieldwork placements that interest you? Is it beneficial or necessary to have a car? What does financial aid look like, and is it advisable to get an off-campus job to supplement? Are there assistantships or work study offered? What are your favorite things about the program, and St. Louis? Your least favorite things? How do opportunities differ for master's and doctorate students? I have heard that WashU's program has a strong research focus - what does that mean for your experience as a student?

Thank you so much for your help!! I hope you have a great break. :)

Wow! So many great questions. I'll try to answer them all to the best of my ability.

1. I'll be honest, a huge part of my decision to attend WUSTL was a gut feeling. I had this feeling that it was where I was supposed to be. But I think another part of the decision for me personally was that I knew I'd have access to everything I could potentially want as an OT student. I'd have access to research both within the OT profession, as well as learning about interdisciplinary research at the university; that I'd be able to have a chance to go to fieldwork sites across the country; that I'd have a well-rounded education with a very good likelihood of passing the NBCOT to become a professional; etc. It's tough to tell you things you haven't already heard. Especially when choosing between two schools, my advice would be this: visit. While I personally did not have a dilemma between two schools, several people in my cohort went with WUSTL (and I'm sure a fair portion of people at other programs) based on how they felt at the visit. There is a huge element of seeing yourself in the environment you'll be in that may make the decision easier.

2. Class structure varies per term, although each term there are mixes of lecture and lab activities. Classes take place between the hours of 8am-5pm (there are often breaks in the day). Sometimes, you will be required to attend an event during evenings or weekend hours, but this will always be communicated to you in advance. In our cohort of 98, some classes are taught with everyone, but often labs are taught in smaller sections to provide you with more hands-on teaching from the professors.

3. It's beneficial to have a car, but not necessary. If you live in the Central West End, there are several things within walking distance. It may behoove you to have a bike/make a buddy in the cohort to give you rides to things like the Trader Joes/Target about 5 miles away from our main classroom building though!

4. While the assistantships to work in the various research labs are generally offered during admissions, the program also employs it students in roles as tech support, tour/program ambassadors, etc. It's up to you to advocate for yourself with the OT department office. The program also passes along advertisements for babysitting/personal care jobs. I worked between 6-10 hours/week in the fall and enjoyed the break from schoolwork. It's all personal preference though.

5. Financial aid is pretty easy. You fill out a FAFSA, and then the Financial Aid Office for the Washington University School of Medicine walks you through the rest. Most of you should get the 20,500/year in Direct Stafford Loans. Additional loans take additional paperwork, but most students secure those without going the private route. The ladies in this office are AWESOME, and I would 100% recommend getting to know them if you end up attending WUSTL.

6. St. Louis is a great town to be in as a poor grad student - because so many of the events are at free/reasonable prices. I love walking through Forest Park, and different green spaces in the area. As far as the program goes, they do a great job of establishing a community of support. I've also appreciated how many different professors teach our courses - you get a broad variety of opinions/backgrounds that really makes you think and rounds out the experience. I'm still getting used to the weather - it started so hot, and then got so cold - but I don't think that should sway anyone too much! The city has a complicated history as well (especially pertaining to racial issues), which was important to listen and learn about the city as a whole. I don't have a whole lot of negatives at this point being on 4 months in to be honest!

7. Most opportunities are available to both MSOT and OTD students. One place this may vary is in your research lab - because an OTD student has an extra year to devote to their project, they may have access to certain projects/ their project may be more in-depth, simply due to time. However, either way, you will be trained to be an excellent clinician. This ties into your other question - at WUSTL we take a 4- or 6-semester (MSOT vs. OTD) sequence of classes where you work in an assigned lab on a individualized project (by yourself or in a small group). This means there's a lot of hands-on practice with several different research concepts. We start that process this week (we were assigned based on our submitted preferences to labs over break), so I can't speak as much on how that process goes. Do know that research will be a component of your program!

8. We're just starting the fieldwork process, so I can't say too much on that. However, I can say that you do get to submit preferences/reasoning for those choices for each fieldwork opportunity. Also, WUSTL has over 600 active contract sites - meaning pretty much all areas of practice are represented.

That was a quick smattering of thoughts. Please let me know if anything was unclear. Continue to ask away! All the best!

Reactions: 2 users
Got my acceptance offer and a merit scholarship offer via email yesterday!! The stress and anticipation has finally paid off and now I can breathe lol.

Hey guys did any of you who got accepted into the Doctorate program apply to the Olin fellowship?

I applied very last minute- but I'm not holding my breath because it is open to the entire university & they only select about 12 fellows!

Did you guys have to send a copy of your social security card with your intent to enroll? Is this normal?

Did you guys have to send a copy of your social security card with your intent to enroll? Is this normal?
Yes, I think that it is normal. The social security number is used by the financial aid office in determining your package.