WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cool! Im glad they are not going to be putting a crimp in our styles :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I actually didn't realize we had a dress code for class. :cool:
But yeah.. when you go to clinic you need to dress nicely.

Members don't see this ad :)
briannarenee316 said:
im pretty sure i read in the student handbook that you aren't allowed to wear shorts or scrubs to class..
other than that it wasn't too specific....

No scrubs? But....scrubs are so comfy... *whines*

Duchess said:
No scrubs? But....scrubs are so comfy... *whines*
Your scrubs are going to probably smell from gross anatomy. I had a job as a medical ass't once and had to wear scrubs everyday. Believe me, after awhile you get sick of wearing them.

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I called the school today regarding our medical terminology test and we are responsible for ordering our own books. The bookstore lady told me that in years past the school sent out the information for the book, but this year we have to seek it out for ourselves. I ordered mine and it's around $39. I'm not sure if we'll need them or not, but I figure it's better to be over prepared than under prepared.

*but I figure it's better to be over prepared than under prepared*

I agree!

I ordered mine on half.com for $1.50....plus $3 shipping... you should try that instead!

briannarenee316 said:
*but I figure it's better to be over prepared than under prepared*

I agree!

I ordered mine on half.com for $1.50....plus $3 shipping... you should try that instead!

how do you know what book we need for that?

Xclone said:
how do you know what book we need for that?

Just scroll back like two pages...somebody (can't remember) posted the ISBN # and Title.

Hey,

Anyone else having trouble accessing their student email account? Everytime I call about it, they say its due to the technical difficulties with the new web page. I just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one though cause we are supposed to be receiving all correspondences via student email next Monday.

bbgirl said:
Your scrubs are going to probably smell from gross anatomy. I had a job as a medical ass't once and had to wear scrubs everyday. Believe me, after awhile you get sick of wearing them.
I don't know if they do it at WV, but a lot of schools have an informal "burn your scrubs" party when anatomy is over. If it's not a tradition here, I vote we start it.

JohnUC33 said:
Hey,

Anyone else having trouble accessing their student email account? Everytime I call about it, they say its due to the technical difficulties with the new web page. I just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one though cause we are supposed to be receiving all correspondences via student email next Monday.

Yes I am having trouble with the site as well. I called and they are aware of the problem. They told me to try back later this week. She said we needed to have our e-mail set-up by June 26th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having a DO "coat" them at the white coat ceremony? I have a DO family friend that I'm sure would love to do it, but I feel bad asking him to come all the way to WV from FL....especially with these crazy gas prices and plane ticket prices. Then having to pay for a hotel, etc. Just curious as to what you guys are planning on doing

Duchess said:
Is anyone having a DO "coat" them at the white coat ceremony? I have a DO family friend that I'm sure would love to do it, but I feel bad asking him to come all the way to WV from FL....especially with these crazy gas prices and plane ticket prices. Then having to pay for a hotel, etc. Just curious as to what you guys are planning on doing

I emailed my DO and am still waiting on her reply. Although she lives five hours from Lewisburg, Lewisburg is her hometown...so she might just make a weekend out of it or something.

Duchess said:

I talked to the DO that let me shadow her and she said she would do it. She is an alumni of WVSOM and has family in the area so she has a place to stay but I offered to pay for her accomidations. I see how it may be hard to ask a person from FL, but maybe you should ask them and see what they have to say... even if they say no they would be totaly flattered by the fact you think so much of them. I hope all is well for everyone and I can't wait to meet ya'll

Bumandme said:
I talked to the DO that let me shadow her and she said she would do it. She is an alumni of WVSOM and has family in the area so she has a place to stay but I offered to pay for her accomidations. I see how it may be hard to ask a person from FL, but maybe you should ask them and see what they have to say... even if they say no they would be totaly flattered by the fact you think so much of them. I hope all is well for everyone and I can't wait to meet ya'll

I'm planning on asking my DO from Indianapolis. I'm not sure that she will make the 7hr trek, so I am meeting with a WVSOM Alumni from my hometown tomorrow to see if she would be interested.

Hey everyone wish me luck this weekend. I am doing an Olympic triathlon in Philadelphia.....it's a 0.92 mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run. It's my last big endurance event before classes start. I guess we'll see if my 4 months of hard work have paid off!!

wake920 said:
I'm planning on asking my DO from Indianapolis. I'm not sure that she will make the 7hr trek, so I am meeting with a WVSOM Alumni from my hometown tomorrow to see if she would be interested.

Hey everyone wish me luck this weekend. I am doing an Olympic triathlon in Philadelphia.....it's a 0.92 mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run. It's my last big endurance event before classes start. I guess we'll see if my 4 months of hard work have paid off!!
OH my gosh!!! that is soooo cool!!!!! You must be in incredible shape! Good luck and please keep us in touch on how you do!

Bumandme said:
OH my gosh!!! that is soooo cool!!!!! You must be in incredible shape! Good luck and please keep us in touch on how you do!
Damn! The most I've done is a 5K. Good luck. I can't wait to hear how you do. Is this your first one?

Bumandme said:

I don't know about incredible shape, but maybe incredibly insane ;) . It's my first one so we'll see how it goes. I'm sure at 5am on Sunday I will be asking mysel, "why am I doing this?" but then I am sure halfway through our first year of school we all may be thinking the same thing, so this will be good mental practice for the next few years :D

wake920 said:

Good luck man... that is an awesome feat.

Greetings All,

I am looking for a roommate(s). I have an Army HPSP scholarship, so rent should not be too much of an issue. I do not smoke or own pets; however, I keep a bottle of single malt 12 year scotch in the near vicinity ;) .

If you are interested in having me aboard, please e-mail me at [email protected] or IM me at my aim screen name: EventHorizonGWH

I'm going to be selling my gaming laptop soon as I am building myself a new one. If any of you are interested in buying it, I'd much rather sell it to a WVSOM Student since I have 4 gigs of WVSOM stuff on there like the old MSI and MSII test banks...which are especially helpful for my SBL brethren.

Plus it plays games since it has a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 processor and a Radeon 9700 Mobility video card in it.

So if you are a gamer and you're coming to school here and need a laptop, throw me a mail :p

-Richie

briannarenee316 said:
thats why you have to get a second pair of "dress scrubs" :D :D

http://www.couturescrubs.com/

btw... do we have to wear scrubs in anatomy lab?
No you don't HAVE to wear scrubs, but they are cheap and you can leave them in your locker and wear them over and over and over. . . . and then trash them at the end of the class!

Good luck to you all!

briannarenee316 said:
Just wondering, for you guys who are already there, where you got furniture in/around lewisburg.... Since i am coming from CA i won't be bringing any with me and will need to get it all there...
thanks!
and happy weekend!!
Start with yard sales. And, if you're interested in a great full size bed with a cherry headboard, a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, a GE large capacity washer/dryer, a great comfortable chair and ottoman and numerous other little tidbids, just send me a message and I'll be in touch right away as we are moving within 6 weeks. :oops:

Other than that, there are several furniture stores and of course, Walmarts and KMart and Magic Mart.

Richie Truxillo said:
I'm going to be selling my gaming laptop soon as I am building myself a new one. If any of you are interested in buying it, I'd much rather sell it to a WVSOM Student since I have 4 gigs of WVSOM stuff on there like the old MSI and MSII test banks...which are especially helpful for my SBL brethren.

Plus it plays games since it has a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 processor and a Radeon 9700 Mobility video card in it.

So if you are a gamer and you're coming to school here and need a laptop, throw me a mail :p

-Richie

Hi Richie...

Where would one get those test bank questions?

labcoord said:
Hi Richie...

Where would one get those test bank questions?

There's a CD that goes around each year that has old tests on it and study materials. It's not like this huge special advantage or anything but it does give you practice questions to get you in the right mindset I hear.

I took that CD and expanded on it to about 4 gigs of stuff. The netter anatomy cd you hear about is preinstalled on there with all of my study plates. (reference: http://www.richietruxillo.com/anatomyguide.htm ) It's got board review stuff too...so it's like having 2 years of info on a laptop since I also have a ton of lectures on there too.

I had a bunch of private messages about it so I'm going to post the specs here.

-Richie

I had about 7 private messages so I will post the specs here for ya'll and I'll try to respond to the messages soon.

Richie's laptop computer for sale

Laptop is sold.

wake920 said:

Wake 920- I'm definately into the triathlon thing too- Definately let me know how it goes! I do them up in the New York area- summer early morning weather there..can't beat it. I'm not that experianced yet, but you have to love the rush from them. I swam in college, so I'm usually one of the first out of the water, but then I have all the biking- experianced 40 year old women crusing right on by me during the bike haha. I bet you can understand that after doing one! Hopefully we'll be able to train together next year (in allllll that free time). Let me know how it went!

Does anyone know where (or if) there is an academic calendar on the website? I can't seem to find one!

Thanks!
Hope you are all doing well!

trish10 said:
Wake 920- I'm definately into the triathlon thing too- Definately let me know how it goes! I do them up in the New York area- summer early morning weather there..can't beat it. I'm not that experianced yet, but you have to love the rush from them. I swam in college, so I'm usually one of the first out of the water, but then I have all the biking- experianced 40 year old women crusing right on by me during the bike haha. I bet you can understand that after doing one! Hopefully we'll be able to train together next year (in allllll that free time). Let me know how it went!

Does anyone know if there is a scy or lcm pool in the area? I have yet to locate one, and would love to be able swim... maybe we can start a USMS program in the area, that is if enough people are up for it.

HoosierDoctor said:
Does anyone know if there is a scy or lcm pool in the area? I have yet to locate one, and would love to be able swim... maybe we can start a USMS program in the area, that is if enough people are up for it.

Not that i know of Nathan. I know of two pools in the area. One at the Lewisburg Elks Country Club (members only) and one down in Ronceverte City Park (public pool). Don't know of any olympic quality pools nearby for swimming athletes. Maybe one of my classmates can chime in and offer some hints for ya ;)

-Richie

trish10 said:

Hey Trish..awesome you do triathlons!! This was my first one and it turned out to be a duathlong...ugh that's right!! Philly had bad storms Saturday night, so last minute they canceled the swim because they said that there was too much debre in the river and thus unsafe for the swim. Instead, we did a 5k run, 40k bike, and a 10k run. I still want to actually do all 3 sports, so I am looking at the Triamerica series Olympic in Louisville July 22nd, or Steelhead Half Ironman in Michigan August 5th.....you game?? My 5k run went well....7:39 pace. I suck on the bike, plus my bike is circa 1980, so it took me a little over 2 hours. Then I ran about a 9 minute mile for the 10k. The bike definitely drained me.We'll have to train for one and see what we can find in WV, though I am sure it will be one very hilly course ;)
-Erin

trish10 said:

Hey Trish..awesome you do triathlons!! This was my first one and it turned out to be a duathlong...ugh that's right!! Philly had bad storms Saturday night, so last minute they canceled the swim because they said that there was too much debris in the river and thus unsafe for the swim. Instead, we did a 5k run, 40k bike, and a 10k run. I still want to actually do all 3 sports, so I am looking at the Triamerica series Olympic in Louisville July 22nd, or Steelhead Half Ironman in Michigan August 5th.....you game?? My 5k run went well....7:39 pace. I suck on the bike, plus my bike is circa 1980, so it took me a little over 2 hours. Then I ran about a 9 minute mile for the 10k. The bike definitely drained me.We'll have to train for one and see what we can find in WV, though I am sure it will be one very hilly course ;)
-Erin

Hey does anyone know of a kitchen table and chairs for sale???? I really need one :)

Hi Everyone,

My advisor just sent me an email regarding the WVSOM Relay for Life team, and I thought I should pass it on to you.
There is a Relay for Life (hosted by the American Cancer Society) on August 4-5. So far there are only 4 students on the WVSOM team, and I think it would be great if there were more of us participating!!

You can sign up at this link....
http://www.acsevents.org/faf/search...DF97387A82684DA09166B03E1BF8ADAE&team=1183840

wake920...what a bummer! In my oppinion the swim is the best part. Ha, and after doing one you can definately understand this comment...how crazy do your legs feel going from bike to run? For the first mile they feel like JELLO! I remember my first one I kept looking down to make sure I was actually going anywhere haa. I get home from bootcamp on the 9th of July, then am going to hit up some days lifeguarding at the ocean, see the family, etc. so I'm going to have to pass on the tri's this summer (Since I've been at bootcamp I haven't been on the bike in weeks, so I'm a little behind). We'll have to get together right when we get down there and check out the scenes..it'll be great to have someone else along for the ride! My roommate for this year is actually going to be a 2nd year down there, and told me about this great river trail right by the school for biking, running etc. And heck, if we can't find a pool nearby I'm all game for the river swim hahaha. Back in college we used to have "initiation" for the swim team and swim across the Hudson River and back (don't recommend it haha). Well, talk to you all soon!

For the Grad Plus loan, when it asks how much you want to borrow, is this the total with stafford or the amount that it left after stafford. If it is the second, how do we know how much we were approved for or should be getting for stafford. I have an EFC of $0 and am trying to take the max out. Thanks.

bbgirl said:
For the Grad Plus loan, when it asks how much you want to borrow, is this the total with stafford or the amount that it left after stafford. If it is the second, how do we know how much we were approved for or should be getting for stafford. I have an EFC of $0 and am trying to take the max out. Thanks.
To be safe I'd call the school and ask. You plan to take out over 60K a year?

bbgirl said:

It is the difference after Stafford. You can really put whatever you like. Whenever, this gets back to the school, it'll be adjusted to meet the difference between Stafford and you max annual budget, set by the school.

FYI: look at your max budget, subtract 38,500 for stafford, and the difference is what you fill in for GradPLUS

where'd everyone go. I've got another few weeks of work, then I'm moving up. Getting excited. I've been studying the medical terminology book. I don't know about y'all, but I'm having fun ---so far. Has anyone gotten anything new in the mail from the school--after the insurance,etc packet? I seem to get things late, so I was just wondering. I can't wait- I am going to Vegas in two weeks. My best friend is eloping. I hope everyone is doing well.

labcoord said:
It is the difference after Stafford. You can really put whatever you like. Whenever, this gets back to the school, it'll be adjusted to meet the difference between Stafford and you max annual budget, set by the school.

FYI: look at your max budget, subtract 38,500 for stafford, and the difference is what you fill in for GradPLUS

whats up everyone!! Just got back from my cruise! Don't forget to add the 3% fee to your budgeted amount that you decided to take out. BBGirl have a great time in Vegas it is a really fun town!!!

Has everyone picked a student health insurance plan? I was looking through the packet and was wondering why they would send us some plans that were one year non-renewable??

wake920 said:
Has everyone picked a student health insurance plan? I was looking through the packet and was wondering why they would send us some plans that were one year non-renewable??

Beats me. Those plans they sent us are all so confusing with so many exclusions and such that I get a headache everytime I compare them. I think I'm just gonna pay a little bit more and go with the trusted Blue Cross of WV myself.

JohnUC33 said:
Beats me. Those plans they sent us are all so confusing with so many exclusions and such that I get a headache everytime I compare them. I think I'm just gonna pay a little bit more and go with the trusted Blue Cross of WV myself.

also one of those plans will not pay out of WV and you don't get any office visits till you meet the deductible kinda sucks if you ask me.

wake920 said:

which plan says that it is non-renewable?? where does it say that? i don't see it...

jgl1980 said:
also one of those plans will not pay out of WV and you don't get any office visits till you meet the deductible kinda sucks if you ask me.

hey jiggles, does that mean that we have to pay the full deductible (by going to the hospital) and then we can get our office visits? i don't get it.

Remember, if you're under 25 you can still be covered under your parents' policy. :D

Isn't it scary to think about interpreting our patients' and battling their companies for their proper treatment when we are having problems understanding our own health insurance. I have a false feeling that if I go with the most pricely plan I will get the best coverage (I know I should compare the fine details).

Has anyone noticed how they refer to maternity care "treated as any other sickness"? Maybe it's just a strike of feminism, but I didn't realize that pregnancy was a sickness.

Anyway this stuff is impossible to understand. I can't imagine how my grandparents feel. Can we say health care reform! Lets make that a goal of our generation of doctors. This is insane! :smuggrin: