WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperDOgirl

SuperDOgirl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am interested in finding out who will be joining the class of 2010 at WVSOM. I got accepted a month ago and still waiting to hear back from a few schools. I have a gut feeling that I will be going to WVSOM this coming fall. I know the tuition is steep but I am excited for the change in environment, people and lifestyle. Anyways, I just want to have a good idea of who I will be sitting in class with. So gimme a holler! :)

SuperDOgirl

Members don't see this ad.

SuperDOgirl said:
Hi!

I am interested in finding out who will be joining the class of 2010 at WVSOM. I got accepted a month ago and still waiting to hear back from a few schools. I have a gut feeling that I will be going to WVSOM this coming fall. I know the tuition is steep but I am excited for the change in environment, people and lifestyle. Anyways, I just want to have a good idea of who I will be sitting in class with. So gimme a holler! :)

SuperDOgirl

SuperDOgirl looks like we will be sitting in class together! I have already turned in my deposit and in the process of trying to find a place to live.

I might be joining you as well.. I sent my deposit in but still waiting from other school as well..

Members don't see this ad :)
Very, very likely that both my wife and I will be attending WVSOM in the fall. We were accepted late October. Pretty sure that we will be sending our deposits this week. The only thing that will keep us from going is if we get into TCOM (we are TX residents), our interviews were earlier this month but we will not know of acceptance until Feb 1st. WVSOM is our first choice for out-of-state schools.

I might be going there as well. I'm still torn between LECOM-PA and WVSOM.

Anyone with two or more acceptances but decided to attend WVSOM knowing how much higher the tuition is? What factors made you decide on WVSOM? Thank you.

I'll more than likely be there. Got my acceptance last Tuesday. I'm going to interview at PSCOM and check out their school. However, I'm really leaning towards WVSOM.

SuperDOgirl said:
I am interested in finding out who will be joining the class of 2010 at WVSOM.
SuperDOgirl
:) Hi! I was accepted to WVSOM and will be sending my deposit soon! I'm really excited because I loved the school and everyone there. I just got a really good vibe. Plus the school is nationally ranked and in a beautiful town. A nice little get-a-way while getting your medical education. The only change that may happen is if I get accepted to an in-state school. The tuition difference would be the only reason I would not go to WVSOM. We'll see Feb 1st.

Hey guys I'll be interviewing at WVSOM in Dec. any advice? I'm out of state so the cost is really riding on my shoulders.

krisco99 said:
Hey guys I'll be interviewing at WVSOM in Dec. any advice? I'm out of state so the cost is really riding on my shoulders.

If you are flying, National is the cheapest rental car agency there. Be prepared to pay several tolls on the drive there. Stay at THE GENERAL LEWIS :thumbup: That place is awesome, and you can't beat the rate they give interviewees. Be yourself and enjoy the interview. Just know why be a doctor, DO, and WVSOM and you'll be fine. I honestly enjoyed my interview there. EVERYONE is so friendly. Oh, be sure to have several questions to ask your interviewers. I hope that helps. If you want to know anything else, just PM me.

krisco99 said:

I agree. It is a very laid back interview. Just be yourself and show your intrest in osteopathic medicine and you will be alright! Good luck with everything

Hi there.

It looks like I will be going to West Virgina Ost as well. I have picked it over LECOM and AZCOM.

My two concerns with this school is 1) It's expensive and 2) It doesn't have a cafateria :eek:

CatsandCradles said:
Hi there.

My two concerns with this school is 2) It doesn't have a cafateria :eek:

When I interviewed there, the students said that somebody is always cooking lunch for them or some organization is always hosting a lunch that not having a cafeteria isn't really a big deal.

JohnUC33 said:
When I interviewed there, the students said that somebody is always cooking lunch for them or some organization is always hosting a lunch that not having a cafeteria isn't really a big deal.

This is true. When I went for my interview I met a couple of the students the day before and I was treated to a free meal that was prepared by some organization. Apparently, this happens quite often.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say Grats to all of you who were accepted to WVSOM. As for the lack of a cafeteria, you'll be eating so many club lunches you'll be sick of pizza, Subway, and food from The Tavern. However, there is this sweet lady who works at the Library named Jerry who cooks the best food. You'll never tire of it ;)

As for the cost, I'm an out of stater and yes it's expensive but as a doctor, you'll be able to pay it back eventually. So many hospitals and physician groups have loan payback incentive programs these days.

If ya have questions, please feel free to PM me or post here, I'll try to check in every so often!

Best Regards,
Richie

Just checked my mailbox, and it is full. I'm working on getting some replies out as we speak but I might not get to all of them as I'm getting mighty sleepy :)

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
Just checked my mailbox, and it is full. I'm working on getting some replies out as we speak but I might not get to all of them as I'm getting mighty sleepy :)

-Richie

There is a new WVSOM thread titled, "WVSOM, where its at." do you have any answers for that one. thanks for the help, get to it when you can.

CatsandCradles said:
Hi there.

It looks like I will be going to West Virgina Ost as well. I have picked it over LECOM and AZCOM.

My two concerns with this school is 1) It's expensive and 2) It doesn't have a cafateria :eek:
What's your reasoning for choosing WVSOM over AZCOM and LECOM when you're "eeking" over the cost of tuition?

CatsandCradles said:
2) It doesn't have a cafateria :eek:
This really isn't so much an issue. There is a lot of food around here. With clubs, churches, faculty, going with interviews to lunch, etc. . .

This week for example: I've gotten lunch every day. :D

And for block weeks we get dinner every day. Not to mention the food around town if you keep up with when churches are having dinners or picnics.

There's also an abundance of candy which is especially good!! Dr. Adelman keeps a selection of good quality chocolate.

Megalofyia said:
This really isn't so much an issue. There is a lot of food around here. With clubs, churches, faculty, going with interviews to lunch, etc. . .

This week for example: I've gotten lunch every day. :D

And for block weeks we get dinner every day. Not to mention the food around town if you keep up with when churches are having dinners or picnics.

There's also an abundance of candy which is especially good!! Dr. Adelman keeps a selection of good quality chocolate.

I love candy, that makes me happy. Any sour patch kids?

There might be somewhere... it seems every other office has candy of some kind.

Free food and candy...I'm sold :laugh:

Go to WVSOM. I had the option of either, and I am much happier at WVSOM than I would have been in Erie, although I will be poorer.

-Bill Brasky
"Third: Did you know Bill Brasky is the godfather of my son?

Fourth: Bill Brasky?

First: He's a big fella!

Second: Oh yeah, he's a big guy! Goes about 6'7", 385.

Third: Well, anyway.. he shows up at the church in his golf pants, caked in mud. Well, ol' Bill Brasky pushes the priest aside and says, "I'll baptize that piece of calamari!" Then he pours Scotch all over my baby son and says, "There! You're baptized!"

Fourth: And your son is blind to this day!

First: Yeah, he makes brooms somewhere in Georgia, doesn't he?

Third: I have no idea. [ pause ] To Bill Brasky!

Together: Bill Brasky!!"

SuperDOgirl said:
Hi!

SuperDOgirl

Hey there, I also will be attending WVSOM in the fall. Was accepted early back in Sept. Very excited about starting this fall!!

wondering what everyone wants to specialize in. I am hoping to go into rural medicine, or maybe urban. I've also thought about peds hem-onc.
:)

bbgirl said:
wondering what everyone wants to specialize in. I am hoping to go into rural medicine, or maybe urban. I've also thought about peds hem-onc.
:)

Dont want to limit myself by deciding on anything now, but maybe emergency medicine or anesthesiology. Dont know really.

come on yall, lets keep this thread going.

I was hoping to maybe revive this thread :thumbup:

JohnUC33 said:

Hi there everybody!

I'll be going to WVSOM too. For me it was a spilt between WVSOM and LECOM and in the end I just couldn't stand the place LECOM was situated in.

Pluse LECOM is like one big office building too. (Which makes sense for them since you don't want to be outside walking around in in the winter up north!)

But WVSOM, I went there when the flowers were blooming and the trees were green. Everything was soooo green. And I love wide open spaces of grass too!

JohnUC33 said:

Come on people, lets keep this going.

So why did everyone decide to attend WVSOM? What makes WVSOM a top notch DO school? everyone chime in with their opinion.

If you're accepted to WVSOM and there's a chance (even if slim) that you'll attend what do you plan to specialize in knowing 87% of the students go into primary care? They require a substantial amount of time for primary care rotation.

I'm not interested in primary care and the amount of debt I'll be in if attending does not help either. Thanx.

FutureDocDO said:
If you're accepted to WVSOM and there's a chance (even if slim) that you'll attend what do you plan to specialize in knowing 87% of the students go into primary care? They require a substantial amount of time for primary care rotation.

I'm not interested in primary care and the amount of debt I'll be in if attending does not help either. Thanx.

emergency medicine, anesthesiology, radiology. not really sure yet. maybe even family practice, hard to say at this point.

Canuck99 said:
emergency medicine, anesthesiology, radiology. not really sure yet. maybe even family practice, hard to say at this point.

I am interested in IM, EM, maybe ortho not sure only time will tell. How has everyone been coming along with the housing situation? I have been talking to a buch of super nice people that have no available housing? I went up there 2 weeks ago to look around at some houses and aslo hit the ski slopes while I was there. Does anyone know when they are planning on moving over there yet?

Can ya'll believe it's still snowing in west virginia? It'll be quite the change for this Texan!! But i'm excited. I think i've seen snow once or twice.

Canuck99 said:
I'm interested in Emergency Medicine, General Surgery, and Anesthesiology.

FutureDocDO said:
I'm interested in Emergency Medicine, General Surgery, and Anesthesiology.

are you still on the fence with which school to go to?

have you seen WVSOM's residency match list for the most recent graduating class?

Canuck99 said:
are you still on the fence with which school to go to?

have you seen WVSOM's residency match list for the most recent graduating class?
Yes. I'm still "on the fence". I've seen the match list. It is very comparable to LECOM's.

RD330 said:
Can ya'll believe it's still snowing in west virginia? It'll be quite the change for this Texan!! But i'm excited. I think i've seen snow once or twice.

SNOW :scared: I hear that stuff is cold!!!!!!!! We don't get a whole lot either in south GA. So what part of Tesas are ya from? I lived in Dallas for a while and loved it there.

Hey I was looking around the WVSOM website and saw the info on smart start Orientation and was wondering if anyone new what the exciting social events are that is in store for us!!! :D :laugh:

jgl1980 said:
Hey I was looking around the WVSOM website and saw the info on smart start Orientation and was wondering if anyone new what the exciting social events are that is in store for us!!! :D :laugh:

Good question. I am ready to get this party started.

For those that have multiple acceptances, why have you chosen WVSOM?

Canuck99 said:
For those that have multiple acceptances, why have you chosen WVSOM?
I'd like to know as well. What make you ignore the HUGE pricetag?

is it that nobody has anything to say on this thread anymore, or is it that not enought of our classmates are aware that it is here? i am getting tired of checking the thread and there not being any new posts.

sorry, im just bored.

Canuck99 said:
is it that nobody has anything to say on this thread anymore, or is it that not enought of our classmates are aware that it is here? i am getting tired of checking the thread and there not being any new posts.

sorry, im just bored.
Hi. I think it's because there's not a whole of applicants deciding on WVSOM at this point because they're waiting for another good but cheap school. IMO.

FutureDocDO said:
Hi. I think it's because there's not a whole of applicants deciding on WVSOM at this point because they're waiting for another good but cheap school. IMO.

Whats up Futuredoc DO and Cannuk. I have the same feelings as you. I am getting bored with this thead but maybe it will pick closer to the end of MARCH or so. Who knows!!! So when are you going to make up your mind FutureDocDO, about the which school to go to? Have ya'll found a place to live? I think I have a spot secured at those apartments next to the school but time will tell. What do ya'll think of angie? She is freaking awesome isn't she!!!!! :) Angie if you are read this I give ya :thumbup: :thumbup: You rock!!!

I just accepted to WVSOM 2 weeks ago!! I'm not so excited about the tuition, but can't wait to relocate and meet everyone. I'm new to SDN, so any WVSOM students feel free to e-mail me!!

jgl1980 said:
Whats up Futuredoc DO and Cannuk. I have the same feelings as you. I am getting bored with this thead but maybe it will pick closer to the end of MARCH or so. Who knows!!! So when are you going to make up your mind FutureDocDO, about the which school to go to? Have ya'll found a place to live? I think I have a spot secured at those apartments next to the school but time will tell. What do ya'll think of angie? She is freaking awesome isn't she!!!!! :) Angie if you are read this I give ya :thumbup: :thumbup: You rock!!!

I am looking at the moment and have put my name on a waitlist for an apartment complex near the school. I wonder if it is the same place. Did you have to put your name on a waitlist?

has anyone thought about buying a house instead of throwing money away on rent?

True that, Angie is freakin awesome. Nicest person I have met in a long time.

wake920 said:
I just accepted to WVSOM 2 weeks ago!! I'm not so excited about the tuition, but can't wait to relocate and meet everyone. I'm new to SDN, so any WVSOM students feel free to e-mail me!!

Cheers on your acceptance. We will all get over the tuition once we get there and things get started. And when it is all said and done it wont seem so bad when we are making enough money to pay it back.

so are ya'll excited to be the first class in all the new buildings? So high tech :)

RD330 said:
so are ya'll excited to be the first class in all the new buildings? So high tech :)

heck ya, wireless internet. and all the rooms will have that new "fresh" smell.

Canuck99 said:
Cheers on your acceptance. We will all get over the tuition once we get there and things get started. And when it is all said and done it wont seem so bad when we are making enough money to pay it back.

Thanks for the cheers!! The financial aid dept. said they have 100% success of their students paying back the debt, so I am not too worried. So when is everyone moving to Lewisburg?? I am thinking mid summer, though hopefully I will secure a place to live here very soon!

What's the number to that aparment across the street/within walking distance from the school? Is it nice/decent? What's the lay-out...are there any pictures? Who do I call to add my name to the waitlist and whether it cost anything to do so? Thanks a bunch!