1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Osteopathic Class Threads' started by SuperDOgirl, Nov 16, 2005.

1. SuperDOgirl

SuperDOgirl SuperDOgirl
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi!

I am interested in finding out who will be joining the class of 2010 at WVSOM. I got accepted a month ago and still waiting to hear back from a few schools. I have a gut feeling that I will be going to WVSOM this coming fall. I know the tuition is steep but I am excited for the change in environment, people and lifestyle. Anyways, I just want to have a good idea of who I will be sitting in class with. So gimme a holler! :)

SuperDOgirl

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jgl1980

jgl1980 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

SuperDOgirl looks like we will be sitting in class together! I have already turned in my deposit and in the process of trying to find a place to live.

4. hmasters5

hmasters5 Member
    5+ Year Member

I might be joining you as well.. I sent my deposit in but still waiting from other school as well..

5. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Very, very likely that both my wife and I will be attending WVSOM in the fall. We were accepted late October. Pretty sure that we will be sending our deposits this week. The only thing that will keep us from going is if we get into TCOM (we are TX residents), our interviews were earlier this month but we will not know of acceptance until Feb 1st. WVSOM is our first choice for out-of-state schools.

6. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I might be going there as well. I'm still torn between LECOM-PA and WVSOM.

Anyone with two or more acceptances but decided to attend WVSOM knowing how much higher the tuition is? What factors made you decide on WVSOM? Thank you.

7. JohnUC33

JohnUC33 A Stinkin Conservative
    7+ Year Member

I'll more than likely be there. Got my acceptance last Tuesday. I'm going to interview at PSCOM and check out their school. However, I'm really leaning towards WVSOM.

8. RD330

RD330 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :) Hi! I was accepted to WVSOM and will be sending my deposit soon! I'm really excited because I loved the school and everyone there. I just got a really good vibe. Plus the school is nationally ranked and in a beautiful town. A nice little get-a-way while getting your medical education. The only change that may happen is if I get accepted to an in-state school. The tuition difference would be the only reason I would not go to WVSOM. We'll see Feb 1st.

9. krisco99

krisco99 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey guys I'll be interviewing at WVSOM in Dec. any advice? I'm out of state so the cost is really riding on my shoulders.

10. JohnUC33

7+ Year Member

If you are flying, National is the cheapest rental car agency there. Be prepared to pay several tolls on the drive there. Stay at THE GENERAL LEWIS :thumbup: That place is awesome, and you can't beat the rate they give interviewees. Be yourself and enjoy the interview. Just know why be a doctor, DO, and WVSOM and you'll be fine. I honestly enjoyed my interview there. EVERYONE is so friendly. Oh, be sure to have several questions to ask your interviewers. I hope that helps. If you want to know anything else, just PM me.

11. jgl1980

jgl1980 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree. It is a very laid back interview. Just be yourself and show your intrest in osteopathic medicine and you will be alright! Good luck with everything

12. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Hi there.

It looks like I will be going to West Virgina Ost as well. I have picked it over LECOM and AZCOM.

My two concerns with this school is 1) It's expensive and 2) It doesn't have a cafateria :eek:

13. JohnUC33

7+ Year Member

When I interviewed there, the students said that somebody is always cooking lunch for them or some organization is always hosting a lunch that not having a cafeteria isn't really a big deal.

14. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is true. When I went for my interview I met a couple of the students the day before and I was treated to a free meal that was prepared by some organization. Apparently, this happens quite often.

15. Richie Truxillo

Richie Truxillo Your Scut Monkey Mentor
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just wanted to say Grats to all of you who were accepted to WVSOM. As for the lack of a cafeteria, you'll be eating so many club lunches you'll be sick of pizza, Subway, and food from The Tavern. However, there is this sweet lady who works at the Library named Jerry who cooks the best food. You'll never tire of it ;)

As for the cost, I'm an out of stater and yes it's expensive but as a doctor, you'll be able to pay it back eventually. So many hospitals and physician groups have loan payback incentive programs these days.

If ya have questions, please feel free to PM me or post here, I'll try to check in every so often!

Best Regards,
    Richie

16. Richie Truxillo

Richie Truxillo Your Scut Monkey Mentor
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just checked my mailbox, and it is full. I'm working on getting some replies out as we speak but I might not get to all of them as I'm getting mighty sleepy :)

-Richie

17. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is a new WVSOM thread titled, "WVSOM, where its at." do you have any answers for that one. thanks for the help, get to it when you can.

18. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What's your reasoning for choosing WVSOM over AZCOM and LECOM when you're "eeking" over the cost of tuition?

19. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This really isn't so much an issue. There is a lot of food around here. With clubs, churches, faculty, going with interviews to lunch, etc. . .

This week for example: I've gotten lunch every day. :D

And for block weeks we get dinner every day. Not to mention the food around town if you keep up with when churches are having dinners or picnics.

There's also an abundance of candy which is especially good!! Dr. Adelman keeps a selection of good quality chocolate.

20. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I love candy, that makes me happy. Any sour patch kids?

21. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There might be somewhere... it seems every other office has candy of some kind.

22. JohnUC33

7+ Year Member

Free food and candy...I'm sold :laugh:

23. Bill_Brasky

Bill_Brasky To Bill Brasky!!!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go to WVSOM. I had the option of either, and I am much happier at WVSOM than I would have been in Erie, although I will be poorer.

-Bill Brasky
    "Third: Did you know Bill Brasky is the godfather of my son?

Fourth: Bill Brasky?

First: He's a big fella!

Second: Oh yeah, he's a big guy! Goes about 6'7", 385.

Third: Well, anyway.. he shows up at the church in his golf pants, caked in mud. Well, ol' Bill Brasky pushes the priest aside and says, "I'll baptize that piece of calamari!" Then he pours Scotch all over my baby son and says, "There! You're baptized!"

Fourth: And your son is blind to this day!

First: Yeah, he makes brooms somewhere in Georgia, doesn't he?

Third: I have no idea. [ pause ] To Bill Brasky!

Together: Bill Brasky!!"

24. MUHerd34

MUHerd34 New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey there, I also will be attending WVSOM in the fall. Was accepted early back in Sept. Very excited about starting this fall!!

25. bbgirl

bbgirl Member
    5+ Year Member

wondering what everyone wants to specialize in. I am hoping to go into rural medicine, or maybe urban. I've also thought about peds hem-onc.
    :)

26. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dont want to limit myself by deciding on anything now, but maybe emergency medicine or anesthesiology. Dont know really.

come on yall, lets keep this thread going.

27. JohnUC33

7+ Year Member

I was hoping to maybe revive this thread :thumbup:

28. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Hi there everybody!

I'll be going to WVSOM too. For me it was a spilt between WVSOM and LECOM and in the end I just couldn't stand the place LECOM was situated in.

Pluse LECOM is like one big office building too. (Which makes sense for them since you don't want to be outside walking around in in the winter up north!)

But WVSOM, I went there when the flowers were blooming and the trees were green. Everything was soooo green. And I love wide open spaces of grass too!

29. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Come on people, lets keep this going.

So why did everyone decide to attend WVSOM? What makes WVSOM a top notch DO school? everyone chime in with their opinion.

30. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're accepted to WVSOM and there's a chance (even if slim) that you'll attend what do you plan to specialize in knowing 87% of the students go into primary care? They require a substantial amount of time for primary care rotation.

I'm not interested in primary care and the amount of debt I'll be in if attending does not help either. Thanx.

31. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    emergency medicine, anesthesiology, radiology. not really sure yet. maybe even family practice, hard to say at this point.

32. jgl1980

jgl1980 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am interested in IM, EM, maybe ortho not sure only time will tell. How has everyone been coming along with the housing situation? I have been talking to a buch of super nice people that have no available housing? I went up there 2 weeks ago to look around at some houses and aslo hit the ski slopes while I was there. Does anyone know when they are planning on moving over there yet?

33. RD330

RD330 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can ya'll believe it's still snowing in west virginia? It'll be quite the change for this Texan!! But i'm excited. I think i've seen snow once or twice.

34. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm interested in Emergency Medicine, General Surgery, and Anesthesiology.

35. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

are you still on the fence with which school to go to?

have you seen WVSOM's residency match list for the most recent graduating class?

36. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes. I'm still "on the fence". I've seen the match list. It is very comparable to LECOM's.

37. jgl1980

jgl1980 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

SNOW :scared: I hear that stuff is cold!!!!!!!! We don't get a whole lot either in south GA. So what part of Tesas are ya from? I lived in Dallas for a while and loved it there.

38. jgl1980

jgl1980 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey I was looking around the WVSOM website and saw the info on smart start Orientation and was wondering if anyone new what the exciting social events are that is in store for us!!! :D :laugh:

39. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Good question. I am ready to get this party started.

40. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For those that have multiple acceptances, why have you chosen WVSOM?

41. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd like to know as well. What make you ignore the HUGE pricetag?

42. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    is it that nobody has anything to say on this thread anymore, or is it that not enought of our classmates are aware that it is here? i am getting tired of checking the thread and there not being any new posts.

sorry, im just bored.

43. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi. I think it's because there's not a whole of applicants deciding on WVSOM at this point because they're waiting for another good but cheap school. IMO.

44. jgl1980

jgl1980 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Whats up Futuredoc DO and Cannuk. I have the same feelings as you. I am getting bored with this thead but maybe it will pick closer to the end of MARCH or so. Who knows!!! So when are you going to make up your mind FutureDocDO, about the which school to go to? Have ya'll found a place to live? I think I have a spot secured at those apartments next to the school but time will tell. What do ya'll think of angie? She is freaking awesome isn't she!!!!! :) Angie if you are read this I give ya :thumbup: :thumbup: You rock!!!

45. wake920

wake920 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just accepted to WVSOM 2 weeks ago!! I'm not so excited about the tuition, but can't wait to relocate and meet everyone. I'm new to SDN, so any WVSOM students feel free to e-mail me!!

46. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am looking at the moment and have put my name on a waitlist for an apartment complex near the school. I wonder if it is the same place. Did you have to put your name on a waitlist?

has anyone thought about buying a house instead of throwing money away on rent?

True that, Angie is freakin awesome. Nicest person I have met in a long time.

47. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Cheers on your acceptance. We will all get over the tuition once we get there and things get started. And when it is all said and done it wont seem so bad when we are making enough money to pay it back.

48. RD330

RD330 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so are ya'll excited to be the first class in all the new buildings? So high tech :)

49. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

heck ya, wireless internet. and all the rooms will have that new "fresh" smell.

50. wake920

wake920 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the cheers!! The financial aid dept. said they have 100% success of their students paying back the debt, so I am not too worried. So when is everyone moving to Lewisburg?? I am thinking mid summer, though hopefully I will secure a place to live here very soon!

51. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What's the number to that aparment across the street/within walking distance from the school? Is it nice/decent? What's the lay-out...are there any pictures? Who do I call to add my name to the waitlist and whether it cost anything to do so? Thanks a bunch!