WVSOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2007

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of those students who are accepted to WVSOM and are planning to attend WVSOM, please join in.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm accepted! haven't decided yet but i got till december!!! :) maybe i'll see you there!

MEEEEEEE! I am accepted and pretty sure I will attend. Are you doing PBL or SBL? I think I am going to do PBL.
medmom

Members don't see this ad :)
MEEEEEEE! I am accepted and pretty sure I will attend. Are you doing PBL or SBL? I think I am going to do PBL.
medmom

If i go, SBL. I work well in groups, but I am definatly not motivated enough to learn by myself. I need the lectures. hahaha :D

medmom

What factored into your decision to do PBL?

I like learning everything at once instead of as seperate subsections: ie biochem seperate from physiology, etc. Also, I like the clinical orientation of the learning. I learn best when I can tag it to a real instance. Also, with kids I like that I can make my own schedule. I can go in at 7 and be done at 3 if I want to. In addition, if you do PBL you still get access to all of the SBL notes anyways. So, I think it's the best of both worlds for me.

I like learning everything at once instead of as seperate subsections: ie biochem seperate from physiology, etc. Also, I like the clinical orientation of the learning. I learn best when I can tag it to a real instance. Also, with kids I like that I can make my own schedule. I can go in at 7 and be done at 3 if I want to. In addition, if you do PBL you still get access to all of the SBL notes anyways. So, I think it's the best of both worlds for me.

yes, i believe that PBL has its pros. especially with the whole scheduling thing. But, i definately don't think its for me. haha. But goodluck and maybe just maybe i'll see you there in the fall! :D

count me in! have not yet decided, but always a possibility!

=)

Second Year student selling nice home in Lewisburg within 5 minutes of the school. Split level, two story, two car garage, three bedroom, two and half baths, fenced in back yard, built in 1998 in great condition. Several students in the neighborhood. We will be relocating for rotations and would like to sell to another student. PM if interested in pictures and price; will consider renting for a two year lease.

I'll be there in August 2007! PBL is definitely for me! :D

delete

Last edited:
Hi guys,

My advice to all of you over the summer when you finnish undergrad is this:

1) Look into purchasing an anatomy book - a good one. The "standard" anatomy book at all medical schools is called "Frank Netter" - but the reason for this is because it is freely given out to students who join clubs. You might want to get an anatomy book to your liking.

Study some of the pages and start memorizing things over the summer. I guarentte you you will not have wasted your time. Just about every thing you see - you will sooner or later encounter in anatomy.

They cranked up the heat big time. There was a thread several weeks ago on SDN saying that you don't have to study anatomy before you start - that was bad advice. It WILL make a difference if you start over the summer.

2) Histology has also been cranked up big time - but I have no idea how you can study for that over the summer.

I wish you guys the very best no matter where you choose to go.

C&C

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been accepted to WVSOM and i really liked it however being out of state the cost is huge...
Is anyone else from out of state concerned or anyone currently attending have any advice on the subject...worries, concerns, ect...

Hey Maverick, I'm going to WVSOM next fall and I am from out of state. The cost seems tremendous, but there are a couple of ways that you can lower it or get rid of it. If you think it'd be for you, talk with the military. I'll be commissioned in the Air Force and they pay for it all: tuition, books, equipment (even the lab top and insurance the school requires).

There is also another way (and I'd look into it more, I only glanced at it since I wanted to go the military route). You could establish residency in WV if you plan on practicing there after graduation. I remember reading it somewhere in the handbook on the WVSOM website. Hope this helps.

Hey AF DO-

I really thought about the military, my old man and uncle are chiefs in the AF and i have a cuz thats a navy nurse.... however I think i have decided it is not for me, though sometimes I wish it was because of the benefits! Ill prob see you next fall

Hey Maverick, I too am out of state. There is also the national health service corps. If you get their scholarship they pay for everything plus a $1200 a month living stipend. The only this is, you have to agree to work in primary care and in an underserved area for each year that they gave you the scholarship. I think this is a fantastic program. However, I am not sure I want to live in BFE. Therefore, I plan on doing family practice but I am going to look to the loan repayment programs. most clinics offer them as an incentive. In addition however, there are a lot of other programs including NHSC that you can apply for loan repayment after you get the job. That is my plan of action for the outrageous tuition. With NHSC, if you get aproved after you have a job, they pay 25 the first 2 years, 35K the second two and 15K for each year after that. The only problem is that you are not gauranteed to get the repayment, you have to apply for it.:rolleyes:

AF DO - Was your interview on 9/13? If so, I think we sat at the same table for lunch. Congrats on the offer! Chances are I'll be at WVSOM too - although tuition is killer! Happy Turkey Day!

my interivew was 9/6. anyone? haha just wondering.

AF DO - Was your interview on 9/13? If so, I think we sat at the same table for lunch. Congrats on the offer! Chances are I'll be at WVSOM too - although tuition is killer! Happy Turkey Day!

Hey FutureDoc2011, sorry man, I wasn't down there on 9/13. I was offered a spot through the early decision program. I definitely plan on being down there next fall and can't wait! Congrats on the offer as well. Hope to see you down there next year!

AF DO - Haha, my bad. There was fella from the air force that interviewed the same day I did - guess it wasn't you! Anyway, Congrats All!

So i got accepted to WVCOM without an interview and it seemed a little sketchy to me? I didnt do much research on it though, how is the quality of the school? I need to go talk with my pre-health advisor about it...

I think you should go visit the school if at ll possible. I really loved the school. Initially when I applied it was the bottom of my list. After going there for my interview it shot to the top three. Since I was rejected to the other two WVSOM is where I am for sure going. I LOVED the school, people, area, etc. It is actually a pretty good school, was #1 in rural medicine and #9 in primary care last year according to US News.. I think most people knock it because of Lewisburg. Lewisburg is pretty small, like 3500 people. I love the size and the town is very pretty. So, do some checking. I think the auto acceptances are to try and bring their average stats up, as well, I think they probably assume that if you have those stats then you are competent and they can save you the trip out there. JMO though.

So i got accepted to WVCOM without an interview and it seemed a little sketchy to me? I didnt do much research on it though, how is the quality of the school? I need to go talk with my pre-health advisor about it...

I was accepted to WVSOM without an interview as well, but I knew right when I decided to take the MCATs that that is where I wanted to go (I had done some looking into the school right around that time). If you aren't sure, like medmom said, go visit the school. The people there are incredible (staff and students), and I loved Lewisburg and the surrounding areas (but then again I'm a big outdoor sports person). I dont think you have to worry about the quality of the school as the reports show that it's a top notch school. If you're not sure, take a vacation and make a stop there a part of it. Good luck in your decision and congratulations of being accepted!

Hi guys,

1) Look into purchasing an anatomy book - a good one. The "standard" anatomy book at all medical schools is called "Frank Netter" - but the reason for this is because it is freely given out to students who join clubs. You might want to get an anatomy book to your liking.

Study some of the pages and start memorizing things over the summer. I guarentte you you will not have wasted your time. Just about every thing you see - you will sooner or later encounter in anatomy.

They cranked up the heat big time. There was a thread several weeks ago on SDN saying that you don't have to study anatomy before you start - that was bad advice. It WILL make a difference if you start over the summer.

2) Histology has also been cranked up big time - but I have no idea how you can study for that over the summer.

C&C

Enjoy your summer, don't study yet... no need to start stressing this early.

See you next Fall

Hey FutureDoc2011,

From what I gather talking to different med students you should be fine. You've taken the basic science requirments and that should give you what you need to start med school. The recommended classes such as biochemistry and physiology may have been helpful, but I'm told it's not necessary, you just may have to put in a little bit more time than other students.

So no worries, you've gotten in, that was the hard part. And I do know of a medical student at WVSOM who said he majored in computer science and he's made it to his third year, so it's not impossible!

Congrats on being accepted again! :D

Hi guys,

C&C

Congrats to all those who got accepted. Now, Cats and Cradles is one of my good friends, yet I really have to disagree with his advice. Please, do not waste a single moment studying over the summer. I didn't touch an anatomy book all summer, yet I'm doing very well in the class (as are others that didn't as well). Maybe read for leisure over the summer to get your reading comprehension skills up...but just relax cause you deserve it and will need to be well rested. Anyways, I don't post a lot but PM me any questions that you might have.

for john, richie, cats and cradles...
I saw on another thread and thought it would be a good idea to ask: What should we put on our christmas list. Books, equipment, etc. Both PBL and SBL.

for john, richie, cats and cradles...
I saw on another thread and thought it would be a good idea to ask: What should we put on our christmas list. Books, equipment, etc. Both PBL and SBL.

A good stethoscope, otoscope, opthalmascope, the grid books for every subject. If you must own your own book (and not use the libraries), then Robbins Pathology is a must.

Okay so I will start the wishlist :D
Stethoscope
otoscope
opthalmascope
grid books
Robbins Pathology (if you want)

Also John:
I have a Littman Classic II S.E., will that suffice or do I need to go for the master cardiology? Also, enlighted me, what are grid books? Are the books the same for PBL and SBL? I have been looking at otoscopes and opthalmascopes, what are the differences and is there any one type/kind that is needed?

Also John:
I have a Littman Classic II S.E., will that suffice or do I need to go for the master cardiology? Also, enlighted me, what are grid books? Are the books the same for PBL and SBL? I have been looking at otoscopes and opthalmascopes, what are the differences and is there any one type/kind that is needed?

If you already have a stethoscope, then I wouldn't worry about getting another one. From what I hear, stethoscopes tend to get "misplaced" while on wards in your 3rd year...so you might not wanna invest too much in one. Grid books are basically what you'll use to study for boards irregardless of which curriculum you use. PBLers use them heavily now. But, I do know a few SBLers that use them to study for their classes instead of reading the text books/notes. Basically, grid books are summaries of the important concepts on each subject. As for otoscopes and opthalmascopes, you might be better off calling our bookstore on the specific types cause their are so many that I don't want to tell you which is best or not.

If you already have a stethoscope, then I wouldn't worry about getting another one. From what I hear, stethoscopes tend to get "misplaced" while on wards in your 3rd year...so you might not wanna invest too much in one. Grid books are basically what you'll use to study for boards irregardless of which curriculum you use. PBLers use them heavily now. But, I do know a few SBLers that use them to study for their classes instead of reading the text books/notes. Basically, grid books are summaries of the important concepts on each subject. As for otoscopes and opthalmascopes, you might be better off calling our bookstore on the specific types cause their are so many that I don't want to tell you which is best or not.

otoscopes and opthalmascopes

are they really necessary before your third year?

You need your own equipment for the physical diagnosis course and student OMT clinic that you do during your first two years. You won't be using the stuff everyday but you'll need it for those few things, so save your pennies!

Where is the best place to buy grid books? (and is that their actual name along with whatever subject they are covering?)

Also, do you guys recommend buying all the books they recommend? Or I guess let me put it another way: if you had an unlimited supply of money, would you buy them all?

Grid Books is the abreviation for Board Review Series Books. Just type in BRS review books on amazon or google and you'll see what I'm saying.

Where is the best place to buy grid books? (and is that their actual name along with whatever subject they are covering?)

Also, do you guys recommend buying all the books they recommend? Or I guess let me put it another way: if you had an unlimited supply of money, would you buy them all?

Unless you just have to have your own books, you can find most books in the library. Plus, you can use MD consult to printout pages from certain books.

Just wanted to say hey! Acceptance now...silly deferred decision.

It's official...the deposit is in. I'm moving to WV!

What do med students in Lewisburg do to unwind??? Or is there no unwinding til the end of the semester?? :rolleyes:

I just received an email saying they received my app and are currently reviewing it last week. How long did it take for yall to receive an interview/acceptance after this?

I got an interview 2 days after that email. Anyways, I too sent my deposit, so now begins the hosue search :)

It's official...the deposit is in. I'm moving to WV!

What do med students in Lewisburg do to unwind??? Or is there no unwinding til the end of the semester?? :rolleyes:

Hey FutureDoc,

I'm not from Lewisburg, but I used to live in WV and I've spent a lot of time down there since moving up to Michigan. I dont know if you're a big outdoors person, but I plan on spending a majority whatever free time I can come by hunting, fishing, hiking, waterwater rafting, rock climbing, well you get the idea. Plus downtown Lewisburg has some cool restaurants and live entertainment (play houses and such). Plus I know of a couple golf courses down in the area. I guess it just depends on what you are into.

Glad to hear your going to WVSOM! See you in a few months!

AF DO -
Yeah, the outdoorsy feel of Lewisburg seemed really cool when I visited. I'm big into hiking, camping, rafting, and just got into rock climbing recently. I play golf too - at least I try to play.

See all you future WVSOMers in a few months!

I have a Littman Classic II S.E., will that suffice or do I need to go for the master cardiology?

I've picked up on many a grade II/VI murmur with my littman classic II S.E. that I've had since 95'. :) Believe it or not!

Pick up Robbin's Pathology and the recall series (for memorizing stuff if you are PBL)

And I do know of a medical student at WVSOM who said he majored in computer science and he's made it to his third year, so it's not impossible!

That's me hehe and I am doing very well in my 3rd year. So yes it can be done, it's just a little harder getting started.

Anyway, I am going to get some shuteye so I can head to urologic surgery. I love it so far.

-Richie

Hi everyone! I sent in my deposit last week, and I'm very excited to be at WVSOM in the fall. Do any of the current students have suggestions about finding places to live? Is it the kind of town where you just need to go for a few days and drive around, or are there any online resources? Thanks guys!

Do any of the current students have suggestions about finding places to live? Is it the kind of town where you just need to go for a few days and drive around, or are there any online resources? Thanks guys!

Hey! Great to have you joining us next year! I'm not a current student (but I'll be joining you in the fall), but I do know that WVSOM has a housing directory. You can find it on their website under the resources for current applicants.

Congrats again!

Congrats to all the accepted. I am a 1st year SBL. I actually went back and forth on the SBL/PBL thing and am very happy with my decision, though those who chose PBL seem to feel the same. It's all about whether or not you think you can learn everything you need to know for the boards via structured class lectures or mainly via cases and self-study. As for the oto/opthalmoscopes, the only benefit to buying in the bookstore is that they will replace parts (lights, batteries). Don't study, except for med terminology. I agree with John on the grid books. They are awesome, especially for anatomy. The quizzes at the end of the chapters are good prep for tests. Have fun and you will do fine. The profs are great and easy to talk to and the new lecture hall is a great place to study. Remember, study groups are your friend. It helps to have had subjects before, but I actually find it beneficial to have had little experience in an area. I am more likely to spend extra time on the subjects I don't know and less on those I do. Just don't burn yourselves out before you start.