WVSOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm wondering what everyone's GPA/MCATs were for those who were accepted? If you all don't mind me asking... WVSOM is a very appealing school to me. When I visited and interviewed I really enjoyed the environment and small town feel... small towns and smaller schools just feel right to me. I don't think I could go somewhere where they are like 20,000 students or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering what everyone's GPA/MCATs were for those who were accepted? If you all don't mind me asking... WVSOM is a very appealing school to me. When I visited and interviewed I really enjoyed the environment and small town feel... small towns and smaller schools just feel right to me. I don't think I could go somewhere where they are like 20,000 students or something like that.

Science GPA: 3.7
Total GPA: 3.66
MCAT: 9P, 10V, 9B, Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me how long it took after the interview to hear back from WVSOM?

I have a few questions about WVSOM/surrounding area:

The students there said the workout facilities were going to be expanded? Does anyone know when/how much expansion? And if they ever get crowded? Are there good places, such as a YMCA to work out?

I ask because working out is a good stress relief. And it's too cold to do things outside in the winter.

I have a few questions about WVSOM/surrounding area:

The students there said the workout facilities were going to be expanded? Does anyone know when/how much expansion? And if they ever get crowded? Are there good places, such as a YMCA to work out?

I ask because working out is a good stress relief. And it's too cold to do things outside in the winter.

Your answers are yes, sort of, depends, and yes.

Yes, there is an expansion planned behind the current gym and I know it will at least expand the cardio and weight rooms and should have additional locker facilities as well. However, when I asked Dr. McKeon about it I got the impression the work on it won't start for another year or so.

I go to the gym in the morning (6:45am) or late at night (10:30pm) and I've never had any crowding. At night I normally have the place to myself by eleven. However, if you go directly after class or right around dinner then it does get pretty busy, especially with intramural basketball in season right now.

There are two other places in town you can work out. The fitness forum is downtown and the YMCA is right next to the interstate. However, I've never used either. The one downside to all of this is that there are no public pools anywhere in Lewisburg. You have to drive to Virginia if you want to go swimming which is a pain.

Hope that answered your question.

Can anyone tell me how long it took after the interview to hear back from WVSOM?

i heard from them the first tuesday after my interview...but see i checked online...angie told me to check then cause the commitee meets pretty often... i wish you luck too!!

overstock.com has them a little cheaper...plus their shipping rate is really good

I know you might really want to get a jump on buying books, but I'll go against the norm and say maybe wait on some books. If you don't mind using older editions in the library(just as good in my experience), then you can really get buy without buying books unless you like to have your own and mark them up. I'm PBL, and I need books, but I try to be careful before I rush out and buy them. A semester and change into school, I now realize that I really didn't need to buy a single book that I've purchased thus far. From borrowing books, using the library books, MD consult, SBL notes, its really been easy not to have purchased a lot of books.

Anyways, if any of your PBLers have any questions about books, please don't hesitate to PM me cause maybe I can help you save a little money.

I started an alumni group on facebook for our class. If anyone is interested it is called "WV SOM 2011"

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you have your interview? Let me know when u find out! Good luck!

Hello WVSOMers, I had my interview two weeks ago but I recieved a 'decision deferred' today. What does that mean? Waitlisted/Alternate status? And when will they decide on these deferred individuals? If any former students hae experiences with this situation, please let me know!

Mine is still pending... oh I hope I find out soon! I sat here refreshing my email like every 10 minutes today, LOL. Do they email or send out USPS? I think I put my home address and not school for letters... but nothing yet from home...!

Hello WVSOMers, I had my interview two weeks ago but I recieved a 'decision deferred' today. What does that mean? Waitlisted/Alternate status? And when will they decide on these deferred individuals? If any former students hae experiences with this situation, please let me know!

I'm personally not sure what this means. I believe it means it will go before the adcom during their next meeting. I think mine said this for several weeks prior to acceptance. I wish I could tell you. Good luck!

Mine is still pending... oh I hope I find out soon! I sat here refreshing my email like every 10 minutes today, LOL. Do they email or send out USPS? I think I put my home address and not school for letters... but nothing yet from home...!

I don't think they send an e-mail. All I got in an e-mail was the original notification with my login information for the site. If you've received that, check back every couple days. You may be suprised one day! I know I was. I think it was about a week before receiving an acceptance letter in the mail that it said I was accepted online. I totally know the feeling though, I honestly checked my e-mail basically every free hour I had looking for information from schools about secondaries. It makes you feel crazy!

You should check the page every Tuesday and Wednesday. Apparently the committee meets every Tuesday and Angie posts the decisions on Tuesday or Wednesdays. The don't send you an email when there is an update, so I would advise you to log on to that site w/ ur username and pswd and check many times during the day on Tuesday and/or Wednesday. Good luck and let me know when u find out!

Looks like I have to keep waiting. Still in the process.

About the same time. I think it was the weather because their committee meets on Tuesdays doesn't it? And I heard the weather was ice/heavy and cold rain.

About the same time. I think it was the weather because their committee meets on Tuesdays doesn't it? And I heard the weather was ice/heavy and cold rain.
If I were you, I would call them tomorrow morning because the committee did meet, otherwise I would have not had a decision in a week. Good luck!

I don't think they got to it. I checked and my status hasn't changed/ Hopefully by next Tues/Wed I will know! Now I have to keep myself occupied somehow... with the paper I was going to write pushed back 10 days I don't have much to do!

I would just like to say "Hello!" to all my of (95% chance) classmates next year. I was just accepted into the program and I must say I'm excited to be able to participate in the program. I hope to see many of you this fall.

For those interested my stats are:
MCAT 30R
Undergrad Science: 3.71
Undergrad Overall: 3.655
Graduate: 3.236

I'm a physics graduate student which probably accounts for my low grad gpa. Physics is hard! :D

Just wanted to let all those that have decided to go to WVSOM next fall that I will be joining you. I'm especially excited about attending WVSOM since it was my #1 choice of schools. I'm from WV and grew up in a rural community so WVSOM was definitely top of my list.

To answer the above question about decision deferred..It means that the admission committee met (which they do every Tuesday) and looked at your application however they couldn't come to a definite decision as to whether they want to accept you or not. It does not mean that you have been waitlisted it just means they're not quite sure yet. However, your status will stay decision deferred until they reach a conclusion as to whether to accept, deny, or waitlist this could be a while. Don't get discouraged, being on decision deferred status is better than being denied no matter how nerve racking it may be.

P.S. For the New Jersey folk that went to Rutgers or like Rutgers for that matter I'm a graduate of WVU and especially enjoyed the Mountaineers kicking your butt this year.

i have an interview on the 12th...where is the best place to fly in to?

Closest airport is Greenbrier Valley Airport just outside of Lewisburg (LWB) but the cheapest would be Yeager Airport in Charleston (CRW) ~2 hours northwest. Good luck by the way

Yeah but you have to take into consideration gas, rental car, and food in the cost for the Charleston airport I would think.

Now hopefully I hear back when the committee meets this Tuesday.

Hey everyone, my name is Gaurav, I got accepted in december but i just found out about this group, congratulations to all my future classmates and good luck to all those waiting to hear!

Im originally from the Northern VA/DC area, anyone else?

Im am currently getting my Masters in Public Health at Drexel University in Philly, any fellow MPH peoples?

this was a great idea for us to get to meet each other before school, as is the facebook group

i look forward to talkin to you all and meeeting everyone in August...

The weather is pretty nice today, unlike last Tuesday... so I hope the committee is able to get to my application today. I kept checking over the weekend, eventhough I know it wouldn't change... lol.

I really hope I am accepted to WVSOM. When I went there to visit I thought it was okay, but when I went back to interview I enjoyed it so much. I got to see a completely different atmosphere as a potential medical student than just a visitor at an open house. And I was able to meet a lot of pretty nice people, too.

I got in! Accept Applicant! on the website which was updated!

So excited!!!!! Hot damn!!!!

Horay!!!! Congradulations!!! See you there!!!

Congrats!!!! I hope to going there as well. I interview in a couple weeks.

Congratulations! Haha, you've been a little antsy....aaannnnddd breath.....:D

Once again, welcome to WVSOM!!!! :cool:

I know how stressful :scared: the process can be to get into med school, and from a guy that turned-down three other schools to come here (2-M.D., 1-D.O.), I can tell you that WVSOM is the right choice for me.

As I have explained in other posts, once you've got the good news, you should really get your deposit in, as well as your taxes and FASFA stuff.

Come April, you should start looking for housing... for those smart ones :D among the "2011 Class" that are deciding on spending a few days down here to find the "right place for them", please let me know. I would have no problem with taking time to look over possible options when you get down here, and heck, as long as I can clear my schedule, I would be available to even go with you to check-out the properties... I have worked with enough of the 2011 Class in helping with housing that I have a solid grasp of locations and can tell you from a glance of the place if the property is worth the cost with what others are paying.

With books, I would strongly recommend that if you are going with SBL that you hold-off until July in getting them... I spoke with the bookstore, and due to old profs retiring and new ones coming in, there will obviously be some changes here and there with the texts (plus new editions coming-out shortly). The new list will be up in July, so you'll still have time to search for deals.

Feel free to drop me a line. I would recommend that you use my AOL IM (MacGyverWVSOM) to contact me, as I only intermittantly check my IM box here.

...And for those that are thinking about the PBL Track, let me know if you have any questions. I should have the answers... if I don't, I know where to get them.

~"The Don"

Congratulations!! It's great that you got in; I think you would have had a heart attack (excuse me I guess I should use myocardial infarction) if you had to wait much longer! lol just ribbing you a bit we all know how much it sucks having to wait. Again congrats! :D

Congrats to everyone accepted that is planning on starting in the fall... Enjoy your time before you it all begins, and make sure you party on the water

Well, WVSOM definitely has 2k of my money. :: cries :: i cant afford their tuition or deposit!!!... but the faculty is awesome and seems to always be around when you need them, so thats a plus.

Anyone know if i could somehow pay a chunk of the deposit fee now and withhold the rest for about a week?

Well, WVSOM definitely has 2k of my money. :: cries :: i cant afford their tuition or deposit!!!... but the faculty is awesome and seems to always be around when you need them, so thats a plus.

Anyone know if i could somehow pay a chunk of the deposit fee now and withhold the rest for about a week?

When I called and asked if I could make payments they said no but I could put it on a credit card. That's what I ended up doing.

When I called and asked if I could make payments they said no but I could put it on a credit card. That's what I ended up doing.

Ah, placing it on a credit card would very much help me out. Thanks, medmom

Does anyone have any housing recommendations? I think I am going to try to find either a large-ish studio apartment or a one bedroom within a mile/walking distance to WVSOM. Any neighborhoods which are good and which are ones to avoid?

I was hoping there might be one close to a gym to workout earlier in the morning before class. Isn't there a YMCA or something near the highway?

Anyone know when we should start hearing things from school? I've gotten my acceptance letter and another letter that basically said "high-five! you're still accepted....."

I'm just looking for things, say poissibly stuff about orientation, book list, etc, etc.

Any current or incoming students know anything about information to come?

Thanks guys!

Angie (who I absolutely love by the way) told me the golden day is March 15. That's when the deposits are all due and when we should have our FAFSA in by. That way, they know who is really coming, and they can send out our student IDs and aid info.