WVSOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I waited to the last minute to send in my deposit but it is in so I will be seeing you all next year! I cant wait to try out the irish pub hopefully it is as good as those here at ND lol:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats everyone for being accepted! The irish pub is a real good time, great music and a great time. I will try and get on from time to time to answer any questions any feel free to send me a message.

Congrats everyone for being accepted! The irish pub is a real good time, great music and a great time. I will try and get on from time to time to answer any questions any feel free to send me a message.

Ah yes. The Irish Pub. :luck:

But alas you will not see me there. Look for me at the Wild Bean. (It's on the same street a few doors down)

Members don't see this ad :)

you will answer questions if we can pull you away from the pub, hah hah

Hi everyone! I sent in my deposit last week, and I'm very excited to be at WVSOM in the fall. Do any of the current students have suggestions about finding places to live? Is it the kind of town where you just need to go for a few days and drive around, or are there any online resources? Thanks guys!

Please see my last post for the housing issue. This is how I went around in looking for housing, and I am very happy with what I found.

I'm pretty sure that this is the correct link to it:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=355763

If I can be of any more help with this, please let me know.

Also, for those having questions about the PBL route for next year, I'd suggest asking me or JohnUC33. We're both PBL this year, and are more than willing to help with any questions that you may have. As for myself, the best way of reaching me is via my AIM icon.

Congrats to everyone accepted! Before you know it, you'll be wearing your own white coat! :D

~"The Don"

Random, none school-related question: are any of you (or do you know of any other students at WVSOM) SCUBA divers?

i posted this in the other thread too, but then i figured it might be better to post here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4601859#post4601859

hey i have a question for you guys.

if you're not absolutely sure you'll be attending WVSOM in the fall, when abouts should you start looking? is may/june too late for a decent place for a good price?

I'm accepted to WVSOM, but i'm waitlisted at certain places and also have interviews coming up.

I remember someone telling me that there are some apartments where cable tv and highspeed internet don't work, is that true? anybody know where?

I've been looking for places down in Lewisburg for some time now and I've got my name on the list for Woodland Akers. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in being roommates this fall? Private message me if you're interested! :D

Hey guys!!

I couldn’t resist saying hey to my fellow classmates. I was actually accepted to WVSOM last month but I’ve only discovered this forum today when I was feeling down about leaving my hometown to go to med school. Every school change (middle school to high school to college) I’ve always known someone going in with me. This year though, I’m going in by myself.

Don’t get me wrong. I totally fell in love with WVSOM, and the people were absolutely amazing when I visited for my interview. I completely knew for sure this was the school for me.

I tell my friends I’m going to WVSOM and they’re like…”who? What? West Virginia? Really? All the way out there? Wait a minute…aren’t they the state that kicked Rutgers Football team’s butt? ::angry stare::….traitor.”…..lol… they still love me.

I too am looking for places now but it’s kinda hard not being able to actually physically see places rather than just words on a paper. My apartment I have here took me at least 4 months to find. Eh…I’m sure I’ll get through it somehow. AF DO, I’d totally take you up on your offer but I’m sure my parents wouldn’t like the idea of me shacking up with some fine AF med student ;)

But I must say it’s great to see a little glimpse of the coming class of 2011. I’ll see you guys there!

good to see that i won't be the only person from new jersey going to WVSOM !!!!! PM me liberty

i'm from jersey as well! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself. I have appreciated the conversations and information gained from browsing this thread. I defered this year, but plan on moving from MN to attend WVSOM this upcoming fall. I look forward to meeting all of you in person! :)

Welcome Everyone! Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

P.S. Like McGyver, I'm happy to talk about SBL or anything else you might want to know. Just pm me.

For us SBL'ers, WE HAVE TO UNWIND after every exam (or set of exams), so we go to bars, usually either Del Soul or the Fort. The Irish Pub isn't as popular as people were expecting.

I guess with another class of 200, these bars will get more popular.

There's also Beckley and Roanoke for things to do over the weekend (or movie nights). A bunch of guys and I went to DC one day.

As for people from NJ, there are several people in my class that are from NJ, including me. I saw one person from EB. Hi, I'm an Old Bridge (well technically now Manalapan) native.

I am an SBL class of '10. Holla if you have any questions.

Mina

Beware of Mina. He bites.

Hey guys, i had some interview questions and felt like the best place to ask them would be here. My flight gets in on a thursday before the interview around two and i wanted ideas on what i could do the day before? Is there a place i should definitely check out or a class i can sit on? Thanks

Give me some dates in a Private Message that you will be here, and I will let you know what the school has us doing that day so you can know what classes you can sit in on. It would be a good opportunity for you to see what school is like here.

Give me some dates in a Private Message that you will be here, and I will let you know what the school has us doing that day so you can know what classes you can sit in on. It would be a good opportunity for you to see what school is like here.

Likewise, if you're thinking about PBL, let me know... if I don't know the answer (which is pretty rare..haha), I'll find-out.

It seems like there are still questions with housing. Please look at the link that I left earlier... this worked for me and many others...

"The Don"

Congrats to all those accepted at WVSOM! I have an interview later this month and am getting a little worried about what kinds of questions to ask at the interview. If anyone could help me out (what did you guys ask, some good questions they might like, etc.). I'm worried b/c WVSOM is a great school and I don't wanna dissapoint anyone. Thanks in advance.

Random, none school-related question: are any of you (or do you know of any other students at WVSOM) SCUBA divers?

I dont know of any scuba divers at the school. But when I was taking a scuba class in another state and mentioned to my teacher I'd be moving to Lewisburg he mentioned I could finish my certification stuff here.

There is a scuba shop near the school. The guy who owns it is somewhat snooty at times but periodically he's friendly and helpful. In any case he's friends with a local DO who's really big into scuba diving. I'm sure if you wanted to you could get in with a group of locals who dive.

I dont know of any scuba divers at the school. But when I was taking a scuba class in another state and mentioned to my teacher I'd be moving to Lewisburg he mentioned I could finish my certification stuff here.

There is a scuba shop near the school. The guy who owns it is somewhat snooty at times but periodically he's friendly and helpful. In any case he's friends with a local DO who's really big into scuba diving. I'm sure if you wanted to you could get in with a group of locals who dive.

There's a scuba diving store in Lewisburg?

I guess I am not getting outside enough then.:(

Beware of Mina. He bites.

:laugh:

Mina is our philosphical and theological expert of our school. He gives me lectures on Immanuel Kant and John Stuart Mills and St Augustine:laugh:

Hey guys and gals, congrats

I am a second year here that lives in the woodland akers apts near the school. If have some questions or help, just ask. Also, if any of you are looking to light'en your moving load from wherever you are coming from, I have a full size bed (frame and box spring) and a futon that I am selling. The mattress is pretty new and we didn't even use it this past year. The futon was bought when I was a first year. Anyways if you have any questions at all let me know, I'll be here all summer till August (my first rotation is near Lewisburg). Good Luck,

Hassan

What's up guys. I just found out about this website. I was accepted to WVSOM in September and think it is the school for me. For all those viewing, I have been accepted to other schools and WVSOM is the best by far. For all of those scared of the OOS tuition.....don't worry you WILL be able to pay it off. Choose the school based on personal preference, not on money!!! I'm coming in from Missouri and will be living at Woodland Acres. Let me know if you have any questions. I can't wait to hear from all and congrats to all who have been accepted.

Sweet, that sounds awesome! I appreciate it. You don't happen to know where the shop is located in Lewisburg do you? (name possibly?) Are you a first or second year student?

Sweet, that sounds awesome! I appreciate it. You don't happen to know where the shop is located in Lewisburg do you? (name possibly?) Are you a first or second year student?

To AF DO:
This is the place you're looking for. The info is from the local CofC

Valley Scuba
Offering bicycle sales, services and accessories as well as paintball supplies, RC models and New Balance shoes. Full service dive shop.

425 N. Jefferson Street, Lewisburg
Phone: 304-793-3483
Hours: Mon-Thurs 11-6:30, Fri 11-7, and Sat 9-5

Its on your right, on 219, about a half mile after you get off the interstate headed towards school. Its just past the entrance to Lowes.

To AF DO:
This is the place you're looking for. The info is from the local CofC

Valley Scuba
Offering bicycle sales, services and accessories as well as paintball supplies, RC models and New Balance shoes. Full service dive shop.

425 N. Jefferson Street, Lewisburg
Phone: 304-793-3483
Hours: Mon-Thurs 11-6:30, Fri 11-7, and Sat 9-5

Its on your right, on 219, about a half mile after you get off the interstate headed towards school. Its just past the entrance to Lowes.

Thank you good sir, I appreciate it. Now the only question is will I actually be able to dive while I am at school.....

You could always wear your gear to Gross Anatomy Lab, claiming that you are allergic to bad odors.

You could always wear your gear to Gross Anatomy Lab, claiming that you are allergic to bad odors.

Or you can be like me and don't even change for anatomy:laugh:

Sadly that is something I think I would try....at least once....:D

slightly stupid but quick question for you all- My interview is later this week and i was wondering if the admissions building had a coat room. The reason i ask is that im from south florida and will be wearing around 40 layers of clothing and it would be great if i could stash some of them.

slightly stupid but quick question for you all- My interview is later this week and i was wondering if the admissions building had a coat room. The reason i ask is that im from south florida and will be wearing around 40 layers of clothing and it would be great if i could stash some of them.

hmmm...i don't remember anything about a coat room but your in the addmisions office and they told us we could leave our stuff in the room. You might want to keep some of those layers though because you'll be going on a tour of the campus...but i'm sure there won't be any problems with leaving them in the room.

Coat rack right beside the front door. All hail Big Cat, keeper of secrets!

Sadly that is something I think I would try....at least once....:D

Anything that you wear in that lab, you will look forward to burning at the final party celebrating the end of gross anatomy. I cannot wait to burn my scrubs--symbolizing how I glad I will be to be done with that class forever!!!!

Can any of the current students tell me which cell phone service works the best in Lewisburg? I have Sprint now and can get a good deal if I sign a new contract, but I seem to remember it not working well when I was there for the interview. Thanks

I can tell you which service to absolutely avoid- t-mobile. I just came back from an interview and lacked service my whole time there.

I have cingular and it worked fine there. I don't recall any dead spots.

Can any of the current students tell me which cell phone service works the best in Lewisburg? I have Sprint now and can get a good deal if I sign a new contract, but I seem to remember it not working well when I was there for the interview. Thanks

If I remember right I had full bars pretty much the whole time there with Verizon....(even though those annoying people from the stupid commericials weren't following me around...)

US Cellular works really well around here but you have to check their national coverage maps because I have to drive through some big roam holes to get home.

I knew a few people that had Sprint at the beginning of the year, but I had to drop the service do it sucking so bad. Verizon is the best here.

Hello All,
I've posted a list texts you'll use on Amazon.com in the Listmania section. The list is called, amazingly enough, "WVSOM 1st year texts". The books listed will definitely get you all the way through Christmas. I didn't list the texts for Developmental Genetics or Nutrition because you won't use them. The other list on amazon called "MS 1 recommended books" has mostly things you will use second semester and second year. Big Cat or John may have some additional suggestions later.
Hope it helps.

BTW... how's the housing search going?

Hi, I was wondering how many WVSOM students go into something besides primary care or plan to?

Hey guys! I received a letter of acceptance from WVSOM today in the mail! I got accepted through the early decision program. I'm pretty excited. To be honest, I know very little about WV or the area, but felt compelled to apply due to the reputation of the school regarding primary care. Of those who have visited the area and the campus, what did you like about the school/area? Was there anything you didn't particularly like?

I recognize there are pros and cons to every school so I just wanted to get an idea of what you guys felt from visiting. I'm out of state so the tuition is pretty tough to swallow. My father was in the Air Force though and I'm considering signing on for one of the health professions scholarships. It looks like someone here is doing the same thing and I really feel that's the direction I'll probably be going. I've moved around a lot, and I figure living in West Virginia could be a great experience. From looking at pictures of the area and the school it seems so green and clean. I'm just wondering what the social life is like with only 3,500 people (from what I remember). I want to make sure I don't burn out from a lack of things to do. Also, given the size of the community, where are rotations done? I'm going to do some research of my own and am planning on coming down to visit in the next few weeks, but I just thought I should introduce myself and ask a few questions from those in the know. I'm sure I'll have more to say in the next few days, but feel free to PM me or leave a message on here. Later!