WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new talk here!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow already time! I've been looking at these threads for the past year bc I'm so nervous!.. Does anyone have any advice who got in last year?Thanks

Does this school show favoritism to in-state/local neighboring states?

I know it's private but I don't know if it matters as some private schools still show preference to local students...

I am from midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school show favoritism to in-state/local neighboring states?

I know it's private but I don't know if it matters as some private schools still show preference to local students...

I am from midwest.

It's actually a state school and not private. Generally a large portion of the class is out of state.

Last edited:
:D
It's actually a state school and not private. Generally a large portion of the class is out of state. I am from the midwest and will be attending as I was accepted last year but deferred because of family reasons.

Another midwesterner here....there are alot of out of state students at WVSOM. lower than 25% seem to be in state.

Looking forward to applying here :)

Looking forward to applying here :)

Honestly, WVSOM is the nicest medical school I have ever seen. It is like the country club of medicalschools. All of the facilities are newand they have great technology including a bunch of simulation robots. It’s a large campus and only has osteopathicmedicine (not a University with multiple programs). I loved it and look forward to starting in2012.

Congratz to all that got accepted, send some of your good luck my way:)

Honestly, WVSOM is the nicest medical school I have ever seen. It is like the country club of medicalschools. All of the facilities are newand they have great technology including a bunch of simulation robots. It’s a large campus and only has osteopathicmedicine (not a University with multiple programs). I loved it and look forward to starting in2012.

I interviewed this year, and it really is an incredible place. The facilities, simulation center, community, surrounding town (has a Carnegie Hall, and THE GREENBRIER!), and most importantly the people there made them a strong contender, especially the faculty that we met and the admissions staff. They're also very highly ranked for Primary Care nearly every year in USN&WR. As much as I would have loved to have gone here for school, I couldn't justify the OOS price tag when I had another much cheaper acceptance. I was also, to a lesser extent, concerned about patient volume in rotations. It's an easy place to fall in love with, and a hard one to walk away from.

I'll be applying from WA...I hope that would be okay...

Wow already time! I've been looking at these threads for the past year bc I'm so nervous!.. Does anyone have any advice who got in last year?Thanks

I got in last year (class of 2014 and 2 days from finishing my first year!) My advice is to share your passion about medicine, med school, (and osteopathic medicine if you are passionate about that). Don't be afraid to be emotional in your interview because they are looking for people who care enough to persevere thru the difficulties.

Also, I think the school is great! Very responsive teachers/administration on the whole.

Kate

just submitted my primary here today! here we go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my primary yesterday.

Does anyone know when interviews start?

Anyone know what the secondary essay is about?

Last edited:
Anyone know what the secondary essay is about?

I believe you only receive a secondary if you are invited for an interview. Last year the question was, “Please state your reasons for wishing to become an osteopathic physician and why you feel WVSOM should consider you as a member of this year’s class.” Not totally sure but I believe it was supposed to be one page in length.

I thought I heard that WVSOM has no secondary..

I believe you only receive a secondary if you are invited for an interview. Last year the question was, “Please state your reasons for wishing to become an osteopathic physician and why you feel WVSOM should consider you as a member of this year’s class.” Not totally sure but I believe it was supposed to be one page in length.

That is correct.

I thought I heard that WVSOM has no secondary..

As stated above, you will only be invited to submit a secondary if you are also selected for an interview. I believe you also only have 1 week to complete the secondary before sending it in also.

is anyone applying for a second time? I was just wondering how they were going about rewriting their personal statement. Any advice will be welcomed, thank you.

Is anyone going to the open house Friday? I will be there and am very excited!

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on here but ive been watching the threads. Has anyone heard about an interview yet? I was looking at last years thread and people were getting invites about this time.

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on here but ive been watching the threads. Has anyone heard about an interview yet? I was looking at last years thread and people were getting invites about this time.

It will be a while. I was at the open house this past weekend and they told me that they won't even really begin looking at primaries until mid July. Interviews won't be until after Labor Day.

DJjack, are you for real?! They aren't going to have interviews until AFTER labor day!?!

Wow, that's late!!

DJjack, are you for real?! They aren't going to have interviews until AFTER labor day!?!

Wow, that's late!!

that's actually not late at all. A lot of schools don't start interviews until october.

i just received an email saying "decision deferred" because they didnt receive my official mcat scores from aacomas, but aacomas has all my scores already. How is it that they did not forward the scores to WVSOM? anyone else get a similar e-mail?

i just received an email saying "decision deferred" because they didnt receive my official mcat scores from aacomas, but aacomas has all my scores already. How is it that they did not forward the scores to WVSOM? anyone else get a similar e-mail?

I got the same email and I was wondering the same thing. CCOM also told me they didn't have my MCAT scores but a few days later they said they had received them. I think it is just a matter of them processing in your scores. I looked on AAMC's site and there's no way to send MCAT scores to most D.O. schools.

Edit: I just received an app status email and it is very colorful, lol.

Last edited:
I got the same email and I was wondering the same thing. CCOM also told me they didn't have my MCAT scores but a few days later they said they had received them. I think it is just a matter of them processing in your scores. I looked on AAMC's site and there's no way to send MCAT scores to most D.O. schools.

Same thing here too. Should I shoot them an email or just wait?

edit: nvm, just got a new email from them right when I typed this. SavoirFaire was right, they were just processing the MCAT scores.

application status:

In Process : Decision PENDING!!!!!!!

i REALLY hope i get an interview here. this schools awsome.

application status:

In Process : Decision PENDING!!!!!!!

i REALLY hope i get an interview here. this schools awsome.

I've heard the school is really nice.

What are the average MCAT and GPA here? Is there a focus on primary care/rural medicine?

school is great from what I hear but its location is rural and they have a focus on primary care but facilities are nice and I can't believe your decision is pending already!

school is great from what I hear but its location is rural and they have a focus on primary care but facilities are nice and I can't believe your decision is pending already!

That's good. I am starting to lean towards primary care / rural medicine anyways.

Mine says decision pending too. Does that mean they're reviewing already?

Last edited:
in all seriousness, what do you think about my chances? submitted my primary.

Experience: Military (Marines- tour in Iraq), Shadowed DO (have letter), Worked with brain injured adults, Overcame some of obstacles(ex. Orphan, foster care, homeless stuff like that), very interested in this school.

cGPA: 3.58, SGPA: 3.67, MCAT: 21

Thanks for your input and good luck, oh yea NJ resident. I am all about rural medicine!

Last edited:
in all seriousness, what do you think about my chances? submitted my primary.

Experience: Military (Marines- tour in Iraq), Shadowed DO (have letter), Worked with brain injured adults, Overcame some of obstacles(ex. Orphan, foster care, homeless stuff like that), very interested in this school.

cGPA: 3.58, SGPA: 3.67, MCAT: 21

Thanks for your input and good luck, oh yea NJ resident. I am all about rural medicine!
i think you have an ok shot. you would be in a much better position if you had a slightly higher mcat score but with your extracurriculars and gpa I think the rest of your app looks great. I think the mcat is your achilles heal but the good thing is the rest of your app is solid. I think you have an ok shot not great but I wouldnt say your outright rejected either. I wish I could give you more but you never know man. Give it a shot. If you want give the mcat another go. If you havent already decided. I know a friend of mine who got into a great school with a low mcat score similar to yours. its not impossible.

good luck. im pulling for you and thanks for serving

i think you have an ok shot. you would be in a much better position if you had a slightly higher mcat score but with your extracurriculars and gpa I think the rest of your app looks great. I think the mcat is your achilles heal but the good thing is the rest of your app is solid. I think you have an ok shot not great but I wouldnt say your outright rejected either. I wish I could give you more but you never know man. Give it a shot. If you want give the mcat another go. If you havent already decided. I know a friend of mine who got into a great school with a low mcat score similar to yours. its not impossible.

good luck. im pulling for you and thanks for serving

Thanks, I'm going bald just waiting and we still have almost the whole cycle to go.

Thanks, I'm going bald just waiting and we still have almost the whole cycle to go.
as a reapp. this is the most painfull part of the process. youve got your mcat score. you can't rase your gpa since its the summer. your verified and youve sent out your applications. now its just waiting. its a huge PITA and its totally not fair IMO. I just recieved rejection letters from PCOM from applying LAST june. its hearbreaking. you check the internet 100 times a day. you pray to god you get an interview. its crazy man. its a very painfull process that I never wanna do again, other than for residency. its just horrible. the waiting sux.

as a reapp. this is the most painfull part of the process. youve got your mcat score. you can't rase your gpa since its the summer. your verified and youve sent out your applications. now its just waiting. its a huge PITA and its totally not fair IMO. I just recieved rejection letters from PCOM from applying LAST june. its hearbreaking. you check the internet 100 times a day. you pray to god you get an interview. its crazy man. its a very painfull process that I never wanna do again, other than for residency. its just horrible. the waiting sux.

My fiance has been laughing all week. Last night she said I was sleep talking, I supposedly said something about my AACOMAS and went back to sleep. Congrats on having the courage to not give up, respect. I applied to PCOM, haven't received secondary yet but hear they are a little late with them. How many schools did you send out to?

I received same email, scores have been in since mid June.

Don't worry I'm in your boat as well. Got rejected last year and doing it all over again. What are you doing this year?

I know I hear u man. It's such a grueling process! I feel like if you do get an interview and get rejected it's like making it all the way to the championship then losing there. I hope I only have to go through it once, but chances are bc of my MCAT score, I'll have to go through it again :(

im in a similar boat as all of you and retaking the mcat and hoping for the best...I want to win the final game and come out victorious...let the best man (or woman) win:)

My fiance has been laughing all week. Last night she said I was sleep talking, I supposedly said something about my AACOMAS and went back to sleep. Congrats on having the courage to not give up, respect. I applied to PCOM, haven't received secondary yet but hear they are a little late with them. How many schools did you send out to?
haha Thanx. I can't see myself doing anything else and my wife is extremely supportive so I had the backing to give it another go and will continue to do so until I get in. Last year I applied to 14 schools. This year I could only afford to apply to five, its very expensive. Hopefully I can scrounge up some more money to apply to a few more soon.

PCOM will be one of the final secondaries you recieve. I would do the essay, get it all ready and be ready to mail it in. last year you had to mail it in harcopy also so get an envelope etc. so you can just put it in the mail asap. I did not reapply to them though cause I thought their admissions office were the rudest people. I hope you have better luck, it is a fine school.

Don't worry I'm in your boat as well. Got rejected last year and doing it all over again. What are you doing this year?
im working two healthcare related jobs. one is in the lockdown unit of a dementia ward making sure residents don't fall or attack eachother etc. and the other is in the activities department of an assisted living facility, also in the dementia unit.

this past year I worked part time and also went to school part time while applying so that I could raise my gpa. I will probably also go back to school again part time in the fall to continue to enhance my app. thats all I got. lol good luck man.
I know I hear u man. It's such a grueling process! I feel like if you do get an interview and get rejected it's like making it all the way to the championship then losing there. I hope I only have to go through it once, but chances are bc of my MCAT score, I'll have to go through it again :(
i would rather get an interview and get rejected than be placed on the waitlist. I interviewed at a school this year, drove 13 hours, stayed 3 nights in a hotel only to be placed on a waitlist. so now im sitting here doing everything i can to be pulled off but it doesnt seem like its going to happen. oh well. hopefully i get in somewhere this year.

you never know man. the process is EXTREMELY random. I know people with even lower stats than I who will be sitting in a medical school classroom this year. and my stats are lower than average. its a crapshoot.

good luck

For those of you with "decision deferred" who received a note from WVSOM that they didn't have your MCAT score even though you know AACOMAS has them...apparently there was an error on AACOMAS's side and our scores will be sent this week to WVSOM, then our files will start to be reviewed.

For those of you with "decision deferred" who received a note from WVSOM that they didn't have your MCAT score even though you know AACOMAS has them...apparently there was an error on AACOMAS's side and our scores will be sent this week to WVSOM, then our files will start to be reviewed.

yeah, you're right. They also informed me the decision deferred is due to AACOMAS. Good luck everyone!

:sleep:

In the same boat. Decision Deferred. Let the anticipation begin! Reaaaaally hoping that WILD WONDERFUL WV shows me some love. This school looks awesome