WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is my number one choice. I am so grateful for an opportunity to interview here.

Could you elaborate on why it is your number one choice? I have recieved an interview here and another school and I am just trying to hear different opinions on them both. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having a problem printing the secondary application? Each time I complete the application online and click the "Print" button the website churns but then nothing happens. Is it supposed to open up some sort of completed application that we can then print and mail in?

Edit: Nevermind...as lame as this sounds I rebooted my computer and that fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Can anyone elaborate on WVSOM's process for 3rd and 4th year? I can't imagine we would stay in Lewisburg for both of them since the town is so small. Also, I know that they are strong on primary care so does that reputation mean that non-prim care residencies are more difficult to obtain? Thanks. Good luck to everyone.

Can anyone elaborate on WVSOM's process for 3rd and 4th year? I can't imagine we would stay in Lewisburg for both of them since the town is so small. Also, I know that they are strong on primary care so does that reputation mean that non-prim care residencies are more difficult to obtain? Thanks. Good luck to everyone.

3rd year is "state-wide campus". The school collaborates with every region of the state and students split up. 5-6 do stay in Lewisburg, the other 200+ go everywhere else in the state.

4th year students can (and most do) go out of state to complete their clinicals.

No, WVSOM's reputation as a strong primary care school does not factor like you worry it might. Residency programs will be focusing on board scores, class standings, and recommendations.

i'm super excited to have gotten an interview at this school. definitely one of my top choices. :soexcited:
anyone have experience with their interview process? group or one-on-one? any hints as to what to expect are welcome!!
also... how do i get there?? it's such a small town, but i can't find a cheap/easy flight...

I'm several years from applying anywhere, but WVSOM is already my top out of state school, along with TCOM since I'm a Texas native even though I live in NV now.....

I have absolutely no reason to think about this now, but since I'm an overeager pre-med who can't hardly think of anything else these days but medical school, I might as well ask - what do they consider as "significant ties to the community?"

My dad was from WV and I have a huuuuuge family base there. Like over a hundred first and second cousins huge, and I've spent a bit of time there. Is that on par with what they're looking for? I'm just curious. I've never been to that part of the state or seen what it looks like, but everything I've heard about WVSOM has my interest piqued.

If your dad is from WV, you might be considered an in state resident. Check with admissions. I know a kid who was born in WV, has family here, but left a long time ago and is paying in state tuition.

i'm super excited to have gotten an interview at this school. definitely one of my top choices. :soexcited:
anyone have experience with their interview process? group or one-on-one? any hints as to what to expect are welcome!!
also... how do i get there?? it's such a small town, but i can't find a cheap/easy flight...

Just be relaxed for the interview. It is one-on-one and they will do their best to make you comfortable. If you have any questions feel free to ask me--I am a current second year student.

Where are you flying from? Try flying Delta and through NYC or ATL and you should be able to find something decently priced. Or try flying into Charleston, WV or Roanoke, VA. If nothing fits your budget, fly into Washington, DC and take a train over. Or if you are okay renting a car, fly into Washington Dulles or Charlotte Douglas and drive 3.5 to 4 hours. Or if you are close enough, just drive. Hope that helps.

Just be relaxed for the interview. It is one-on-one and they will do their best to make you comfortable. If you have any questions feel free to ask me--I am a current second year student.

Where are you flying from? Try flying Delta and through NYC or ATL and you should be able to find something decently priced. Or try flying into Charleston, WV or Roanoke, VA. If nothing fits your budget, fly into Washington, DC and take a train over. Or if you are okay renting a car, fly into Washington Dulles or Charlotte Douglas and drive 3.5 to 4 hours. Or if you are close enough, just drive. Hope that helps.

Definitely helps. I'm flying from Chicago and actually found my cheapest option was flying directly into Lewisburg. My other options were cheaper flights but ridiculous driving conditions (ex. the only return flight back to chicago leaves at 6am with a 2.5hr drive to get to the airport). Thanks for the help!

i do have a rather more specific question... how much inorganic chemistry have you needed during your first year at WVSOM? i'm deficient by 3cr from my undergrad but that's b/c i took the honors gen chem. i've got several other chem and biochem classes plus spent the next 3 years after graduation working as a chemist for a major chemical/pharmaceutical company. the admissions committee is reviewing the insufficiency and will most likely bring it up during the interview. any ideas how big of a deal this really is?:confused: gracias

Definitely helps. I'm flying from Chicago and actually found my cheapest option was flying directly into Lewisburg. My other options were cheaper flights but ridiculous driving conditions (ex. the only return flight back to chicago leaves at 6am with a 2.5hr drive to get to the airport). Thanks for the help!

i do have a rather more specific question... how much inorganic chemistry have you needed during your first year at WVSOM? i'm deficient by 3cr from my undergrad but that's b/c i took the honors gen chem. i've got several other chem and biochem classes plus spent the next 3 years after graduation working as a chemist for a major chemical/pharmaceutical company. the admissions committee is reviewing the insufficiency and will most likely bring it up during the interview. any ideas how big of a deal this really is?:confused: gracias

I believe med schools want two semesters of general chemistry right? At least my undergrad did. You really just need that first year of gen chem where you learn about acid/base, stoichiometry, and pharmacokinetics/michaelis menten. But to be honest, the professors will usually do a refresher if they are incorporating any of this into their lectures. IMHO, you sound like you really don't need more chemistry especially since pharmacology used the most. Chem is a very small portion of our classes anyways, bio is much much more important.

Just out of curiosity, how much was the flight from Chicago to Lewisburg? I hope you didn't pay over $300 for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an interview for the 26th! so excited! anyone else for 8am group?

for those who asked- sciGPA: 3.68 nonsci: 3.77 MCAT: 29S

Just out of curiosity, how much was the flight from Chicago to Lewisburg? I hope you didn't pay over $300 for it!

Actually I paid about $400 incl taxes w one stop. There were cheaper flights with 2 layovers resulting in like 9hrs of traveling (ridiculous imo). I think b/c i'm buying the tix now, i got caught in some of the up charges of waiting too long.... i'll have to be smarter for my other interview. There were cheaper flights to charleston but it meant a ridiculous drive back at 4am which I'm just not willing to do.

Dayzie - think about establishing residency. You have to pay taxes for a year from a job in WV, or be married to a taxpaying WV resident, or live with your folks who are from WV. That's what they mean by "significant ties". Whatever status you are (in-state or out of state) when you file your application, that is the story for the 4 years you are there.

If you know you would like to come here, it would be worth it to relocate if possible before applying.

Anyone else interviewing next Friday? My nerves are starting to get to me, ready for this to all be over!

Dayzie - think about establishing residency. You have to pay taxes for a year from a job in WV, or be married to a taxpaying WV resident, or live with your folks who are from WV. That's what they mean by "significant ties". Whatever status you are (in-state or out of state) when you file your application, that is the story for the 4 years you are there.

If you know you would like to come here, it would be worth it to relocate if possible before applying.

I am interviewing here next month and am very interested in WV. If accepted I could definitely move here in advance and purchase a house and pay state income tax...BUT it will be less than 1yr in advance of starting school. When you start is that it...you are considered OOS for all 4 years or can you re-petition or something the next semester in a case like this where you only have 6-8 months of residency built up? I read somewhere online that for cases of less than 12 months they will consider it if there are significant ties and a strong case shown for intended longevity in the state. Online being a state website and not the school website. This would be awesome if it worked out b/c in-state tuition is very affordable.

I guess if I am accepted I will seriously look into these options and let you guys know what I find out. In the meantime if anyone else knows and can share that would be awesome!

I am interviewing here next month and am very interested in WV. If accepted I could definitely move here in advance and purchase a house and pay state income tax...BUT it will be less than 1yr in advance of starting school. When you start is that it...you are considered OOS for all 4 years or can you re-petition or something the next semester in a case like this where you only have 6-8 months of residency built up? I read somewhere online that for cases of less than 12 months they will consider it if there are significant ties and a strong case shown for intended longevity in the state. Online being a state website and not the school website. This would be awesome if it worked out b/c in-state tuition is very affordable.

I guess if I am accepted I will seriously look into these options and let you guys know what I find out. In the meantime if anyone else knows and can share that would be awesome!

You need to establish residency beforehand. So if you go to your interview while being out of state, you will pay out of state tuition. Or at least that's what I think the rules are...

Actually I paid about $400 incl taxes w one stop. There were cheaper flights with 2 layovers resulting in like 9hrs of traveling (ridiculous imo). I think b/c i'm buying the tix now, i got caught in some of the up charges of waiting too long.... i'll have to be smarter for my other interview. There were cheaper flights to charleston but it meant a ridiculous drive back at 4am which I'm just not willing to do.

Yea to fly in and out of Lewisburg, you need to watch prices for a few months before you purchase, otherwise it's ridiculously expensive. And if you chose to come here, you have the options to fly out of all these other airports that driiving an hour or so will be more of an annoyance than anything else.

My decision was deferred as well!!! Now my new MCAT came so hopefully I get a secondary...does anyone mind sharing the essay question for it??

Thanks and congratz to all that got an interview!

Don't worry!! I am from OOS and had a 24R and 3.42 GPA and am currently a first year at WVSOM. DOn't sweat the interview, everyone is really laid back and extremely nice! It is a group interview with 3 people: 1 DO/MD, 1 PhD, and an admissions staff member. They try to get to know you, not ask difficult questions that are going to throw you off. And throughout the whole day you will hear how everyone is like a family- this is not them trying to BS you, this is the truth!! Everyone helps each other out and is very involved, they want to see you do well!! If you all have any questions about anything at all please feel free to ask!!

does anyone get interviews or accepted with a 22 or 23 MCAT? Just wondering because their average is 24

I have an interview this Friday and was just wondering if anyone watching this thread has stayed or is planning to stay at the Sunset Terrace Motel. If so, how was it?:xf:

interviewed yesterday and got the acceptance today...they were real laid back and not stressful at all

To those who got interviews or rejected, how long are they taking to review secondary apps after you submit them??

Congratz to the first people that got accepted!! I can't imagine that feeling!

To those who got interviews or rejected, how long are they taking to review secondary apps after you submit them??

Congratz to the first people that got accepted!! I can't imagine that feeling!

You don't have a secondary app to do until they invite you for an interview then you have a week or 2 to get it done ( I can't remember) so just sit back and relax until you hear from them! Good luck!:luck:

WV Resident. Interviewed 9/12, accepted 9/13.

Very pleasant interview experience.

do you mind posting your stats? gpa/mcat?

Thanks.

Recently visited this school....I am in love!!! Officially my top choice....just wish accomas would verify my app already !

wow that mcat is great!

thanks. it definitely bailed me out. i'm a "non-traditional" applicant and my transcript was VERY bizarre, but to their credit the admissions staff/adcom at WVSOM seemed open to considering extenuating circumstances and allowing you to provide context for screw-ups.

For those of you who already interviewed, did the day really last until 2? I am wondering based on travel plans.

For those of you who already interviewed, did the day really last until 2? I am wondering based on travel plans.

If your travel plans require it, you can leave as soon as your interview is done and if you call Annette Moore or Angie Boyer, I know they can make arrangements to schedule your interview order accordingly. But, otherwise, I would expect to be at the school until 2. The lunch/tour/financial aid presentation can take some time.

to those who already interviewed or are students at WVSOM--

is there an PBL track?? there's nothing mentioned on the website (as far as I can find) but there are references to interview questions about this in the SDN interview feedbacks for WVSOM. i also found some youtube vids about students talking about a PBL track from 2008, but nothing since.... wtf??

was there a PBL track?? is there on now??

to those who already interviewed or are students at WVSOM--

is there an PBL track?? there's nothing mentioned on the website (as far as I can find) but there are references to interview questions about this in the SDN interview feedbacks for WVSOM. i also found some youtube vids about students talking about a PBL track from 2008, but nothing since.... wtf??

was there a PBL track?? is there on now??
There was a PBL track. Class of 2013 was the last class to have this option. It's all SBL now.

I've been put on a MCAT Hold/Decision Deffered status since July, and my new MCAT came in 2-3 weeks ago and my status hasn't changed...When I called, admissions said they will eventually relook at my application...just wondering when???

Interviewed yesterday and was accepted today! I LOVED this school! To everyone who has yet to interview...DO NOT STRESS! The staff at WVSOM are so helpful and friendly and really, really want you to do well! It's a great experience!