WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
decision deffered as well.just got the email today. i wonder why? dont have any new mcat scores and i did not designate that i was taking and more classes? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Decision deferred here.

What does that mean? They put you on hold until later?

Yeah I got the email today too. It's the second email I've gotten saying that actually haha. Basically they are re-reviewing everyone at a later date. I was told interviews for sure will not begin until after labor day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got the email today too. It's the second email I've gotten saying that actually haha. Basically they are re-reviewing everyone at a later date. I was told interviews for sure will not begin until after labor day.

ok good, so a lot of you got decision deferred. i was thinking maybe there was a flaw in my application and my chances for getting into the school completely had gone down the drain......

well I think it kind of SUCKS. I called annette moore in may to discuss my application from last year. when I applied i had an mcat score pending. she told me they never re-reviewed my file after I was placed on decision deffered last year even after they got me new and better mcat score. so I am kinda bummed about this.

I also got the decision deferred email. I called the admissions office, and Angela said that since it's early in the cycle they may be taking a look at the applicant pool.

Has anyone heard about a secondary yet? I keep checking for an update but I haven't moved from pending!

Pending...

3.9, 28R

I already sent in my letters as well.

Would really love to receive an acceptance from here.

Woop interview invite today!

So excited! : ))

Grats! Still waiting for an invite.

Are you in state?

Members don't see this ad :)
so i haven't got an email or anything but when i check my applicant status on their site, it says:

Decision Pending

You have been granted an Interview

has this happened to anyone else or has other interview invites gotten emails?

so i haven't got an email or anything but when i check my applicant status on their site, it says:

Decision Pending

You have been granted an Interview

has this happened to anyone else or has other interview invites gotten emails?
same here. not sure what to do

I think I'm just gonna call them tommorow and ask them wtf is up

Grats! Still waiting for an invite.

Are you in state?

Thanks, yep im a WV resident! Im sure youll hear soon - it seems like they are just getting started with invites.

Anybody else gonna be there September 16th?

Stillllll waiting. Would love to go to this school.

Did you guys get an email? Or just checked the portal? Or both?

[EDIT] Never mind! Got the interview myself! yay

Last edited:
I wanted to check the portal but I was put directly on hold so I don't even have a pin or anything... dang it.

I called them earlier, they said that a detailed interview invite email would be going out today.

Got an interview invite as well. I'm from FL so that cold weather is scary but I can handle it I hope. Going up in Sept for the interview. That OOS tuition is painful though.

got the interview invite today...guess they updated the status of my application before they sent out the email

Interview invite for 10/5. Got the e-mail earlier today.

Interview invite for 10/7! I got it in an email at around noon. I'm from CA, so I've been thoroughly spoiled by the weather here. :[

How long are you guys going to make the secondary essay? I was thinking like 500-600 words.

I'm several years from applying anywhere, but WVSOM is already my top out of state school, along with TCOM since I'm a Texas native even though I live in NV now.....

I have absolutely no reason to think about this now, but since I'm an overeager pre-med who can't hardly think of anything else these days but medical school, I might as well ask - what do they consider as "significant ties to the community?"

My dad was from WV and I have a huuuuuge family base there. Like over a hundred first and second cousins huge, and I've spent a bit of time there. Is that on par with what they're looking for? I'm just curious. I've never been to that part of the state or seen what it looks like, but everything I've heard about WVSOM has my interest piqued.

I am interviewing in Sept as well. I think I'm gonna make my secondary between 500-600 as well

How long are you guys going to make the secondary essay? I was thinking like 500-600 words.

I was wondering that too? It can't be too long since it has to arrive within one week of email notification of interview, right?

I did about 500-600 words too. I think that should be long enough, since we just have a week. I doubt they want to read too much more than a page(?).

would some of you with interview invites mind sharing your stats?

Pending here as well....for those of you with interviews, how long was it between recieving the pending email and the invite?

Congrats to those who have already gotten interviews. Question for you guys, are you from WV or are you from OOS?

Wondering why I didn't get an invite.

anyone who previously had the "decision deffered" status, did your status change from that to "decison pending?" kinda getting frustrated cuz mine still says deferred and lots of people are already getting interview invites. could b because of my low mcat 3.7 sgpa, 3.7 cgpa, 24O mcat (retaking sept 2nd).

Pending...

3.9, 28R

I already sent in my letters as well.

Would really love to receive an acceptance from here.

hm wow...and no interview?
what is the secondary prompt?
why are ppl getting interviews so quickly?
have they already submitted their secondary and got a quick turn around from admissions?

To all the men who got an interview. What are you guys wearing for the interview? I heard that we should get a nice tailored suit and wear that for all the interviews. And its also a good investment or at least that's what I heard.

Hey you all I am a first year here at WVSOM and have been reading your thread so far. For those of you that have been deferred or pending don't worry about it. I was put on the pending/deferred list several times and finally interviewed in January and was accepted. Also if I can answer any questions for you guys I'd be more than happy to help you out with any questions you might have. to give you a little bit more about me I am a non traditional med student, married and over the age of 25 (I'm not giving out my real age!) So I can also help with any questions in that area too. Best of luck guys and don't give up hope!!!

So it's normal to be have "Decision Pending" for a month? Mine has said that since July 27th. Seems a bit absurd to me.

So it's normal to be have "Decision Pending" for a month? Mine has said that since July 27th. Seems a bit absurd to me.

Yeah, I think it is. I have been for quite a while as well, but that is also because they are waiting on my new MCAT.

Will anyone else be there for the 9/19 morning interview?

Good luck guys! It's a good school. You get a great education there. Admissions staff are very friendly so don't stress over the interview process. It'll be by far the tamest interview you have.

-Rich (WVSOM Alumni 2008)

anyone who previously had the "decision deffered" status, did your status change from that to "decison pending?" kinda getting frustrated cuz mine still says deferred and lots of people are already getting interview invites. could b because of my low mcat 3.7 sgpa, 3.7 cgpa, 24O mcat (retaking sept 2nd).

Mine was deferred for about a week until my MCAT score processed, then it switched to pending. How long did everyone who got an interview have a "pending" status?

I got an interview for Oct 9! Weird though, I'm OOS and have a 3.44, 3,39 and a 25P, seems like I am the underdog of this group!