WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently received an email saying that I have an interview on Feb 20, but I absolutely cannot make that day because I have a final that cannot be rescheduled. The email says that if you can't make that specific date, that you cannot reschedule. Seriously? That seems really inconsiderate. Anyone have the same issue?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently received an email saying that I have an interview on Feb 20, but I absolutely cannot make that day because I have a final that cannot be rescheduled. The email says that if you can't make that specific date, that you cannot reschedule. Seriously? That seems really inconsiderate. Anyone have the same issue?

You should call them and explain your situation. See if there is anything they can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give personal experience or research that shows what kind of resume makes for a decent chance of an OOS student receiving an interview and/or an acceptance. I will be applying this upcoming summer. Thank you

Well, it's been more than 60 days and it still says 'Decision Pending..." Should I just assume that they forgot about me or should I assume that they don't want to reject me just yet?

they reschedule, you just need to call with a valid excuse. they rescheduled my interview for an exam as well.

no. i was extended an interview after 10 weeks of decision pending. dont give up hope and keep calling the admissions. i called one day and they said that they wouldnt be able to interview me until mid Feb. I called a week later to annette moore and she said she would find out what she could and would forward my information along to the interview scheduler. the next day i found out i had an interview for Jan. 30th. the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

This includes match lists for
WVSOM 2011, 10
PCOM - PA 2011, 10, 09
MSUCOM 2011, 10, 09
CCOM 2011, 10
VCOM - VA 2011, 10

Attachments

• match.xlsx
    151.7 KB · Views: 256
So I emailed them after almost 12 weeks of "Decision Pending" and after two days, they send me an interview invite. Yay for February 27th. Who's gonna be joining me?

Does anyone know what the status page says if an applicant is not accepted after the interview?

nnamdizzle 81,

what did you say in your e-mail? Is there a discreet way to say "make a darned decision already- my numbers are above average, and I love your school!"?

nnamdizzle 81,

what did you say in your e-mail? Is there a discreet way to say "make a darned decision already- my numbers are above average, and I love your school!"?

I emailed Annette - and she actually didn't email me back until today saying:
.We are currently in the process of finalizing files as we are approaching the end of our interview cycle in March of 2012. Our decision process has been delayed since October due to the high volume of applications received. At this point, interview appointments are booked through the month of February. We will communicate any status change to you by e-mail as soon as it occurs..
. .
.We appreciate your continued interest in our program. I hope this will be helpful to you in your decision-making process..
. .
.The interview invitation I received was from a different person and I guess she didn't get my email inquiring about my status..
.However, I just got accepted to VCOM 10 minutes ago, so I might cancel my interview

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Annette - and she actually didn't email me back until today saying:
.We are currently in the process of finalizing files as we are approaching the end of our interview cycle in March of 2012. Our decision process has been delayed since October due to the high volume of applications received. At this point, interview appointments are booked through the month of February. We will communicate any status change to you by e-mail as soon as it occurs..
. .
.We appreciate your continued interest in our program. I hope this will be helpful to you in your decision-making process..
. .
.The interview invitation I received was from a different person and I guess she didn't get my email inquiring about my status..
.However, I just got accepted to VCOM 10 minutes ago, so I might cancel my interview

I actually got this same email today. Seems to be a generic " Don't call us, we'll call you" response.

Does anyone know the average step 1 score and/or pass rate? its my main deciding factor between schools

Does anyone know the average step 1 score and/or pass rate? its my main deciding factor between schools

Disclaimer: This is third hand knowledge

Last year's 2nd year class had a pass rate in the high 80s. In the past, WVSOM has had a lower pass rate since they don't prevent students from taking COMLEX who aren't 100% ready.

I've heard stories of other schools that use COMSAE to screen their second years. Simply: If you don't do well enough on COMSAE, they don't let you take COMLEX. You are required to sit in class for 8 hours a day (dress shirt and tie) until they feel you will pass.

Hi, this is my first time posting here, but long time lurker :) I have an interview next week, and was just wondering if they don't receive my LORs by that time, does that mean that my file then won't be reviewed by the Committee yet? Thus, normally, I would know by the next Tuesday, but b/c (if) my LORs aren't there, I won't know by that Tuesday?

I hope that made sense. Thanks!

Does anyone know if they have announced what the first day of class is going to be?

Hi, this is my first time posting here, but long time lurker :) I have an interview next week, and was just wondering if they don't receive my LORs by that time, does that mean that my file then won't be reviewed by the Committee yet? Thus, normally, I would know by the next Tuesday, but b/c (if) my LORs aren't there, I won't know by that Tuesday?

I hope that made sense. Thanks!

This past Friday Annette told us that they won't present your file to the committee until everything is in. Once your letters come in, then your file can be reviewed by the committee, but not before that. Hope that helps! They also let you know the day of the interview if your letters are in or not.

Did you send them via Interfolio? I had mine sent through Interfolio and the school did not retrieve them until a few days before my interview, so perhaps that could also be why they aren't showing up on your checklist?

This past Friday Annette told us that they won't present your file to the committee until everything is in. Once your letters come in, then your file can be reviewed by the committee, but not before that. Hope that helps! They also let you know the day of the interview if your letters are in or not.

Did you send them via Interfolio? I had mine sent through Interfolio and the school did not retrieve them until a few days before my interview, so perhaps that could also be why they aren't showing up on your checklist?

Oh, yeah, I forgot that they don't open your letters until a few days before. I hope that's why they're not marked on my checklist. Yes, my adviser sent them through Interfolio. Thanks!

Anyone have any experience applying last minute? I'll be completing my last required prereq just in the time to apply this month.
Just wondering if anyone had input on getting accepted at the end of the application period.

Congratulations to all of you who have already been accepted or have interviews!

Does anyone know if they have announced what the first day of class is going to be?

Hello! I don't think they've announced it yet, but I emailed someone about it and I believe they said that classes officially start on August 7th. :)

Just got a "Decision Deferred" e-mail. I believe my stats are pretty good for this school (3.98 GPA, 25 MCAT, DO Letter, lots of ECs and leadership) but I applied late- wasn't confirmed until November. Have any of you been successful receiving an interview invite or acceptance after being deferred at WVSOM?

Just got a "Decision Deferred" e-mail. I believe my stats are pretty good for this school (3.98 GPA, 25 MCAT, DO Letter, lots of ECs and leadership) but I applied late- wasn't confirmed until November. Have any of you been successful receiving an interview invite or acceptance after being deferred at WVSOM?

Bro, I have had the decision deferred status for quite some time now. Last week I called Danny (he is the admissions director) and he went over my application with me. His main advice to me was to apply earlier in the cycle and make sure I was complete earlier. Will I get in this cycle? I do not know, but at least my mind is at ease.

Can anyone give personal experience or research that shows what kind of resume makes for a decent chance of an OOS student receiving an interview and/or an acceptance. I will be applying this upcoming summer. Thank you

I have an interview tomorrow, and I'm OOS. My stats are 3.69 cum GPA, 25 MCAT. Not a lot of extracurriculars, but I did volunteer a lot.

when did you get your application in?

I got it in Oct. 21, so I thought I wasn't going to get anything, because I didn't hear back until the first week of January! I'm not sure if I was "Decision Deferred" or not,though; because I forgot that our status shows up on the applicant page.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't help you with the "applying last minute" bit. Good luck, though! I hope you still get in! :)

I got it in Oct. 21, so I thought I wasn't going to get anything, because I didn't hear back until the first week of January! I'm not sure if I was "Decision Deferred" or not,though; because I forgot that our status shows up on the applicant page.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't help you with the "applying last minute" bit. Good luck, though! I hope you still get in! :)

Good Luck at your interview today! Let us know how it goes. As for last minute applying.. I'm holding off until Mid May for the next group. Getting it in asap in the new class and will have more application stats to offer =)

This is where I stand right now. I submitted my AACOMAS September 20. WVSOM received it on October 25. My interview was January 30. I'm currently on the "Alternate List." I contacted Annette Moore yesterday. She explained that they have had a huge volume of applicants this year and I got the impression that the seats are all taken and I (along with everyone else on the list) will simply have to wait to see if any seats open up. She also told me that they will likely not be offering anymore interviews for this cycle. They're too swamped. But, it's never too early to start gearing up to apply for next year. (I may have to re-apply myself.)

Last edited:
Good Luck at your interview today! Let us know how it goes. As for last minute applying.. I'm holding off until Mid May for the next group. Getting it in asap in the new class and will have more application stats to offer =)

Thanks. I think it went well! There are some things I forgot to tell them that I'm beating myself up about, but I think I'll include that stuff (not a lot of things, maybe just 2) in my letter of thanks to my interviewers. I think that's okay, right?

Yeah, maybe getting ready to apply for next cycle would be your best bet. Annette told us that for ppl applying now, there is a chance you'll be on the alternate list (this also might not be the case for some, but we always have to think of the possibility).

My mom heard her say that they were 8% empty (92% filled), but I thought she said they were 80% filled...so I'm not quite sure about the stats, but bottom line is that they are pretty full. However, she said every year, there is always movement and they're just waiting for the March 15 deadline to see how many ppl don't pay. She kept saying that anything can happen.

She also said for those on the alternate list, the Admissions Committee may decide (at the beginning of summer, I think she said) to roll those people into next year. No more applying, no more interviewing -- they get an automatic seat :) That's what they did last year anyway. If there aren't a lot of people on the waiting list, that is.

Last edited:
Has anyone applied to WVCOM with a master's degree? And did you finish the degree prior to submitting your application?

Thank you! :)

I received an e-mail today saying my status has been changed to "Decision Deferred". I am a little confused about this because I thought I was a strong applicant to WVSOM, 27MCAT and 3.5 GPA. Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this or advice? Thanks!

Has anyone previously had the "deferred decision" status and been offered an interview. And if yes, how long did you have to wait for an interview? I really want to go to this school! :)

I received an e-mail today saying my status has been changed to "Decision Deferred". I am a little confused about this because I thought I was a strong applicant to WVSOM, 27MCAT and 3.5 GPA. Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this or advice? Thanks!

When did you apply? When were you complete and verified? These are the things that can really hurt your chances.

When did you apply? When were you complete and verified? These are the things that can really hurt your chances.

I applied towards the end of November and just heard back about Decision Deferred earlier today. I was complete and verified.

I have an MPH degree. I just graduated in August.

I am also finishing my MPH, this August. Did you wait until your degree had posted to your transcript to apply? or would it be better to apply early rather than wait?

I am also finishing my MPH, this August. Did you wait until your degree had posted to your transcript to apply? or would it be better to apply early rather than wait?

I think it would be better to apply early...and then later, you can tell them that you finished your degree. I think they do accept updated transcripts. Congrats on almost finishing!

Last edited:
This is where I stand right now. I submitted my AACOMAS September 20. WVSOM received it on October 25. My interview was January 30. I'm currently on the "Alternate List." I contacted Annette Moore yesterday. She explained that they have had a huge volume of applicants this year and I got the impression that the seats are all taken and I (along with everyone else on the list) will simply have to wait to see if any seats open up. She also told me that they will likely not be offering anymore interviews for this cycle. They're too swamped. But, it's never too early to start gearing up to apply for next year. (I may have to re-apply myself.)
I interviewed that same day and got the same status update. I talked to Trish Perkins and she said that there was a decent chance of spots opening up after March 15th. I guess its a wait and see.

I interviewed that same day and got the same status update. I talked to Trish Perkins and she said that there was a decent chance of spots opening up after March 15th. I guess its a wait and see.
I spoke with another applicant who interviewed with us that day, same thing. Hopefully some seats will open up!

Sorry to hear that. You are a strong applicant. You just submitted too late. I've learned that timing is everything. I submitted in September and I'm on the Alternate List. Admissions told me they weren't offering anymore interviews this cycle which is a real bummer. My guess is anyone with Decision Deferred at this point will have to reapply. Call Admissions and ask them for some advice. They're very friendly and very helpful. Good luck!

I was accepted but will be giving up my seat. The school is amazing, but I couldn't justify the OOS tuition when I had another wonderful offer. I hope that it will be able to go to one of you on the alternate list! Best of luck! :)

I was accepted but will be giving up my seat. The school is amazing, but I couldn't justify the OOS tuition when I had another wonderful offer. I hope that it will be able to go to one of you on the alternate list! Best of luck! :)

did you submit the first deposit? just wondering because admissions said we are waiting for those who submitted an initial deposit but won't submit the second deposit... that is when seats will open up

I spoke with another applicant who interviewed with us that day, same thing. Hopefully some seats will open up!
did you interview in the morning or afternoon? my name is Chris Carls. i was the only one from out of state that day.

did you submit the first deposit? just wondering because admissions said we are waiting for those who submitted an initial deposit but won't submit the second deposit... that is when seats will open up

No, I did not send in a deposit. I called and declined my acceptance.

did you interview in the morning or afternoon? my name is Chris Carls. i was the only one from out of state that day.
Hi, Chris. I remember you. I'm Mark, I interviewed that morning too. I was the guy who wasn't in a suit. lol