WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also interviewing on 1/23! Very excited. I'm worried at all, since I've heard of many people interviewing up to around March or April. I'm coming from California, and it seems like plane tickets to all the surrounding airports are pretty expensive. What is the best airport to fly into?

West Virginia is so far from home! What made you decide to interview here? There are airports within 3 hours of Lewisburg (Charleston, Roanoke, VA, and Charlottesville, VA). I would recommend either of the Virginia airports over Charleston, WV though. They will likely have more services.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear all,

I am one of non-traditional applicants from Utah. Giving my stats, could your guys please comment on what's my chance will be for interview? I got lots of rejection, this is my last shot. Thanks so much in advance!

Total GPA 3.17/3.29
MCAT 22M

1 advanced degree
2 tons of research
3 volunteering > 150 hrs
4 shadowing 32 hrs
5 publications
6 good personal statement
7 pre-health committee letter & DO letter

Thanks again!

The extracurricular work is impressive! I am including a link for numeric scoring purposes only that may help you gain a better appreciation for schools that are in your best interest of applying to. Good luck!

http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html

Yeah, I remember you. How are things? I am anxiously awaiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
The same here, anxiously waiting. I'm also trying to come up a with plan B, and plan C. haha

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

got put on the alternate list... more waiting game....

The same here, anxiously waiting. I'm also trying to come up a with plan B, and plan C. haha
I hear you. Its like sitting on pins and needles. When should we expect to hear back?

Annette said it could be as late as July before we hear.

I have an interview scheduled for March 2nd...I am concerned that I am only interviewing for the waitlist. I submitted my application late, but I have a 29 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. What do you guys think?

I have an interview scheduled for March 2nd...I am concerned that I am only interviewing for the waitlist. I submitted my application late, but I have a 29 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. What do you guys think?
I am sorry to say but your striking concern is right. Since everyone interviewing is being put on an Alternate list provided they are doing well on the interview, your best hope is securing a seat for next year at WVSOM. However, with your stats if you apply at the earliest possible date in the cycle, you will definitely hear from a whole lot of schools =)

I am sorry to say but your striking concern is right. Since everyone interviewing is being put on an Alternate list provided they are doing well on the interview, your best hope is securing a seat for next year at WVSOM. However, with your stats if you apply at the earliest possible date in the cycle, you will definitely hear from a whole lot of schools =)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the alternate list have anything to do with a differed decision? In other words, if my portal status says "Decision Differed," does that mean I was specifically not selected for an interview / alternate list, and they are going to review my application at a later date? Or are the two terms (differed, alternate) synonymous?

Also, you mentioned that one could secure a seat for next year? I didn't know this was possible.

How late did you apply? I submitted AACOMAS Aug 15th and 2ndaries from Oct-Nov. You have killer stats for D.O.

I have a 28 MCAT and 3.56 cGPA and acceptances to all my D.O. schools that I interviewed at (and heard back from) (PCOM, WVSOM, VCOM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I have withdrawn my acceptance to WVSOM. My deposit was due Feb.16th (last Thursday). My main reason for withdrawing was for the lack of nearby rotation sites and nothing more competitive than the school I plan on attending (PCOM). Aside from that the location is great. The small town and seclusion is great at times. I would take its feel-good "home" location over the city anyday, however I want the best chance for a great residency and PCOM provides that. This decision was tough nonetheless. Best of luck to all you wait-listers...you all deserve a spot!!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the alternate list have anything to do with a differed decision? In other words, if my portal status says "Decision Differed," does that mean I was specifically not selected for an interview / alternate list, and they are going to review my application at a later date? Or are the two terms (differed, alternate) synonymous?

Also, you mentioned that one could secure a seat for next year? I didn't know this was possible.
decision deferred means that you were not selected for an interview, but your file may be reviewed for a later time if people are not matriculating. alternate list means that the candidate has interviewed and was accepted, but due to first deposits holding seats, that person does not automatically get a seat... if that makes sense.

Does anyone know the last interview date? Thanks

Nothing related to medical schools can be termed stupid. There are just so many technical terms that we as students have never heard of and have to learn during our interviewing experience. Trust me, I had several doubts during my interview phase, so please don't feel that way. To answer your question briefly, Alternate and Deferred are two totally different scenarios.

As with a Deferred decision, I had noticed that it was placed on several applicants' status during the cycle. Deferred decision basically means either there's something missing in your application that they are waiting on or they have marked your application as "to be viewed at a later date". In the early phase of the cycle, which would have been Oct-Dec, I'd tell you not to fret at all. But, it is quite late in the cycle now, so there's all the more reason for you to start believing that even if you were offered an interview now, you are basically going to be part of a pool of applicants who are competing for the Waitlisted/Alternate spots.

Although I used Waitlisted and Alternate synonymously, they are also very different terms. In a regular waitlist, the college admissions keeps you on file until the very end of the application cycle i.e. till the first day of school, and if students withdraw they give you their spots based on your rank on the waitlist. I believe and I have heard people being pulled off a waitlist and given a seat at the end of first week of school too (I maybe wrong with this bit of information though).

Alternate spot is if they feel you deserve to be in school and they have no way to incorporate you, they offer you admission for the next year's matriculating class. WVSOM believes in giving out a few Alternate spots to students so I feel it's a whole lot better than having a waitlist spot and not making it into school and having to reapply and go through the same process all over again. The only downside to it is you have to wait a whole another year. So, if you feel you would have had a whole lot of chances had you applied earlier in the cycle, you should secure this spot and give the applications process another go. And even if you don't, you have bagged one admission. If WVSOM or any other school for that matter which has offered you an Alternate spot is your top choice, then this scenario is ideal and a no brainer really.

Hope this helped. Anyone can feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help anyone out with this challenging application and interviewing process.

Does anyone know the last interview date? Thanks

I think they determine the last interview date based on how many students they want on their Alternate list. I believe they have a set quota. I know last year, interviews went until mid-March, although once again the seats were filled and they were interviewing to keep some students in case a lot of the accepted students decided to not attend even after their second deposits. All the schools go for a safety net i.e. waitlist but the upside for WVSOM is they are willing to enroll you for next year (i.e alternate list) if they think you deserve a spot in their school. :thumbup:

My interview was two weeks ago, and my status still says "decision pending." Should I be worried?

Nothing related to medical schools can be termed stupid. There are just so many technical terms that we as students have never heard of and have to learn during our interviewing experience. Trust me, I had several doubts during my interview phase, so please don't feel that way. To answer your question briefly, Alternate and Deferred are two totally different scenarios.

As with a Deferred decision, I had noticed that it was placed on several applicants' status during the cycle. Deferred decision basically means either there's something missing in your application that they are waiting on or they have marked your application as "to be viewed at a later date". In the early phase of the cycle, which would have been Oct-Dec, I'd tell you not to fret at all. But, it is quite late in the cycle now, so there's all the more reason for you to start believing that even if you were offered an interview now, you are basically going to be part of a pool of applicants who are competing for the Waitlisted/Alternate spots.

Although I used Waitlisted and Alternate synonymously, they are also very different terms. In a regular waitlist, the college admissions keeps you on file until the very end of the application cycle i.e. till the first day of school, and if students withdraw they give you their spots based on your rank on the waitlist. I believe and I have heard people being pulled off a waitlist and given a seat at the end of first week of school too (I maybe wrong with this bit of information though).

Alternate spot is if they feel you deserve to be in school and they have no way to incorporate you, they offer you admission for the next year's matriculating class. WVSOM believes in giving out a few Alternate spots to students so I feel it's a whole lot better than having a waitlist spot and not making it into school and having to reapply and go through the same process all over again. The only downside to it is you have to wait a whole another year. So, if you feel you would have had a whole lot of chances had you applied earlier in the cycle, you should secure this spot and give the applications process another go. And even if you don't, you have bagged one admission. If WVSOM or any other school for that matter which has offered you an Alternate spot is your top choice, then this scenario is ideal and a no brainer really.

Hope this helped. Anyone can feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help anyone out with this challenging application and interviewing process.

WVSOM has both lists or just alternate list?

WVSOM has both lists or just alternate list?
Just have an Alternate list...if you make the alternate list, in previous years they have granted admission for the following year...but they always say it's on a year-by-year basis

Even though I didn't ask the initial question, thanks so much for explaining this. I thought waitlist and alternate were the same thing, but thanks for clearing it up that they're not :)

Here's a question. Are the applicants on the Alternate List ranked in some way or do they simply choose the name at the top of the list? You know, a "first come, first serve" type deal.

IveyChallenger,

Thanks so much for the response, very helpful. The issue is clarified for me.

Here's a question. Are the applicants on the Alternate List ranked in some way or do they simply choose the name at the top of the list? You know, a "first come, first serve" type deal.

Talked with someone in the admissions office. They don't rank the alternate list. When spots become available, they re-look at everyone on the list and pick those who they think deserve a seat.

Even though I didn't ask the initial question, thanks so much for explaining this. I thought waitlist and alternate were the same thing, but thanks for clearing it up that they're not :)
Well, I think this is a correct definition for WVSOM... It seems that it depends on the school. I've been "alternate listed" at another school twice and if all I had to do was potentially wait another year to get in there I'd throw a party. That school calls their wait list an alternate list.

That said however, WVSOM does have a distinction that previous posters have described. Good
luck to everyone!

Hey. I interviewed at WVSOM on February 1st. I was expecting to hear back from them with a decision within 2 weeks. Today I just received an email saying that my file has been reviewed by the dean and before action is taken on my status at WVSOM I need to meet with him individually. Apparently he’s out of town for a few weeks and the earliest opening he had was the end of March. Anybody have any idea what this would mean? Has anyone else who interviewed after February 1st received this email??

Hey. I interviewed at WVSOM on February 1st. I was expecting to hear back from them with a decision within 2 weeks. Today I just received an email saying that my file has been reviewed by the dean and before action is taken on my status at WVSOM I need to meet with him individually. Apparently he’s out of town for a few weeks and the earliest opening he had was the end of March. Anybody have any idea what this would mean? Has anyone else who interviewed after February 1st received this email??
Seems to be like some sort of a unique situation. Good luck and hopefully it is something positive!

It is official, I have mailed in my second deposit; now I am trying to figure out housing.

Are any of my future classmates contemplating buying a house instead of renting?

Can current students comment on whether or not they know others who have bought homes and whether they regret or are glad they made this decision. Also, how difficult/easy is it to get renters (i.e. once I move away from the area) and are there certain areas which are more desirable to students or a certain maximum number of miles away from the school that is just too far for daily commuting?

Thank you!

Does anyone still have scheduled interviews after this week? Thanks

Just gave up my seat (I had put my first deposit down in the Fall)
It's a great school, hope one of you guys get my spot! Good luck.

Alternate list. I hope I get a spot. This school is awesome!

what happened with this meeting?

I have my meeting with the dean on March 22 so haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone else been told that their status will remain pending until they meet with the dean?? I'm still not sure what this would mean?

just gave up my spot...toughest decision I've made -- this school is amazing

good luck to everyone!

I have my meeting with the dean on March 22 so haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone else been told that their status will remain pending until they meet with the dean?? I'm still not sure what this would mean?

I haven't heard about this happening with anyone else...

I interviewed on 2/17 and am currently on the Alternate List. Has anyone seen movement?

We should start seeing movement after tomorrow right? March 15 is a deposit date right?

I dunno. When I called admissions they said they would be voting on whether or not to accept alternates for 2013 in a few weeks if that helps.

I thought they said March 15, but I wasn't sure. I know that they've done deferred acceptance in the past. Even though it's not ideal, it would be great to know there's one acceptance in the books, even if it means another year waiting to start.

just talked with admissions...the committee hasn't met yet to decide whether to accept people off of the alternate list but admissions did confirm that there has been more than a few people that have given up their spots since the 2nd deposit deadline on March 15th.

So the committee could potentially meet Tues and accept some more of us......goodluck to everyone still waiting!

Just talked to admissions a couple of minutes ago. I am on the alternate list and they said the seats are full with the second deposits. She said that there will most likely be movement with people giving up their seats little by little and that she will contact those they have chosen to fill those seats by phone or email. Bummer, but I guess theres still a sliver of hope.

Just talked to admissions a couple of minutes ago. I am on the alternate list and they said the seats are full with the second deposits. She said that there will most likely be movement with people giving up their seats little by little and that she will contact those they have chosen to fill those seats by phone or email. Bummer, but I guess theres still a sliver of hope.

Did they say how many are on the alternate list?

Dang. Did they mention anything about rollover acceptance for 2013?

That's what I want to know... :(
yes. annette said that they will be meeting on thurs. to discuss admission for next year for those on the list. she told me not too lose all hope because there is movement from now til july. she said the average is about 30 seats that will open up over time. last year, however, she said the movement was more like 3-5 seats per month from april-july. i was really bummed but there is still hope...

yes. annette said that they will be meeting on thurs. to discuss admission for next year for those on the list. she told me not too lose all hope because there is movement from now til july. she said the average is about 30 seats that will open up over time. last year, however, she said the movement was more like 3-5 seats per month from april-july. i was really bummed but there is still hope...

I was told they would be meeting in 2-3 weeks from now? Lol ugh don't want to think about it. I was also told that they didn't take any alternate listed students last year... Maybe they like you better, @ccarls !

I don't know about everyone else but I'm making alternative plans to occupy myself for the next year.

Angie said the committee will meet sometime in April to make a decision about 2013 admissions. In the meantime, I'm also making alternate (ha) plans. Or attempting to, anyway...

Angie said the committee will meet sometime in April to make a decision about 2013 admissions. In the meantime, I'm also making alternate (ha) plans. Or attempting to, anyway...
Does anyone have an idea how big the alternate list is? And have all the decision defered been notified of their status. It seems someone was having a meeting with the Dean

Originally Posted by jlyon1

How did the meeting go?