WVSOM need advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DO in Training

Hey Everyone!

ok so here's my dilemma. Although its VERY early in the application process, I was already accepted to WVSOM. They require a very high deposit and a very high tuition fee.

So my dilemma falls upon the question that has been asked my many in other threads but noone really adressed the answer to. Why WVSOM? What, if anything, compensates for the very high out of state tuition? (by the way, i already checked out living expenses and it doesn't adequately compenstate the extra $30K or some).

AND if you are accepted to more than one school, why would you choose WVSOM?

I realize that its very early in the process, but i would like advice from anyone who was or is in my position before i make a decision to put down a deposit and then wait to see if i get accepted anywhere else.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So you've gotten accepted to WVOM, CONGRATULATIONS! I am sure this will not be the only school you receive acceptance from, but now that you have been accepted to at least one school, you know that you are on your way to achieving your dream!

WVSOM is very expensive and the tuition deposit for out-of-state residents (I am one) is quite high. When is your deadline for paying the deposit? Can you contact other schools you have applied to to see where you are in the acceptance process? What is your #1 choice and where does WVSOM fall on that list?

I would ask myself in this situation, 1. Do I want to practice rural medicine? If yes, then WVSOM is one of the top ten medical schools for that (both DO and MD), 2. Would I enjoy living in rural WV? Population of Lewisburg is 1,900 and everyone here will know that you are a medical student at the "O" school (that is what the locals call WVSOM). Eyes are always on you, even at Wal-Mart and 3. Can you live with essentially only a WalMart, Hardees, Arby's, Shoney's, Applebees and Bob Evans? The closest mall is in Roanoke WV!! Online shopping becomes your best friend!

I am truly enjoying my time at WVSOM and have already met other students who will be my life-long friends. Also, the professors here are bar-none some of the best in the country and they are always available to help. I mean, home phone numbers, review sessions at 7pm on Friday evenings and all the help you can get right before exams. We are one of the only medical schools in the nation that has 5 full-time anatomists to help you through Gross Anatomy as well! By and large, this is a great school that will take care of you and all of your needs.

At WVSOM, you have the option of two different curricular tracks as well, PBL and SBL. SBL is the traditional approach to medical education; daily lectures from 8-5pm and subsequent labs. PBL is a clinical-case based track, which relies heavily on the student to direct their own learning. It is not for everyone and I would ask around campus before dedicing to apply to the PBL track.

And finally, my strongest suggestion is that you visit Lewisburg more than just the day of your interview. You need to spend some time in the town and on the campus to determine if you would be happy here. Your personal happiness is the most important thing when you are attending medical school b/c it will become your home.

I hope that helped. Let me know if you are coming to town!

I like you had to choose WVSOM over another school. I say you'll definately see why to come here once you visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still doing the direct admission thing where they admit some people without an interview? They did that to me last year, and that does put you in a really rough position.

thank you everyone! this all helped. its still very early in the application process and I still need to hear from schools. But WVSOM really impressed me, apart from the tuition costs. but we'll see.

Thanks for all the advice!

thank you everyone! this all helped. its still very early in the application process and I still need to hear from schools. But WVSOM really impressed me, apart from the tuition costs. but we'll see.

Thanks for all the advice!

Come Visit our school and town!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck: :luck:

At first I thought it would be some desolate isolated place but it turns out Lewisburg is a pretty cool town. I'm pretty happy here. Good wireless WI-FI coffee shops.

My "chief complaint" is the high out of state tutition cost. But thats about it.

Come Visit our school and town!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck: :luck:

At first I thought it would be some desolate isolated place but it turns out Lewisburg is a pretty cool town. I'm pretty happy here. Good wireless WI-FI coffee shops.

My "chief complaint" is the high out of state tutition cost. But thats about it.

did you originally come from a city or urbanized area? was the transistion smooth?

did you originally come from a city or urbanized area? was the transistion smooth?

I went to undergrad in Philadelphia. I went to a place called St Joseph's Univeristy, which is literally right next door to PCOM!!!!

I went to undergrad in Philadelphia. I went to a place called St Joseph's Univeristy, which is literally right next door to PCOM!!!!

ok. so what's the easiest way to fund your out-of-state tuition? how do most people do it?

I grew up in rural KS but then did my undergrad in Charlotte NC and subsequently moved to Raleigh NC after school to work. It was easy to transition to Lewisburg, although it is small. Living here has helped to solidify for me that I do not want to live in a small town, but others really love it. Lburg does have a good atmosphere and lots of performing arts and music events.

Onto the cost...
Most people take out $76,000 in student loans for the first year; about $46,000 of which is for tuition. After you have lived in Lewisburg for a while, you will be able to decide if you can live off of less, but better to take the max your first year if you don't have another form of financial support.

Talk to the WVSOM finaid office b/c they are really helpful. And, feel free to ask any other questions that are weighing on your mind. This is a huge decision no doubt, so just remember to choose a place where you will be happy!

I grew up in rural KS but then did my undergrad in Charlotte NC and subsequently moved to Raleigh NC after school to work. It was easy to transition to Lewisburg, although it is small. Living here has helped to solidify for me that I do not want to live in a small town, but others really love it. Lburg does have a good atmosphere and lots of performing arts and music events.

Onto the cost...
Most people take out $76,000 in student loans for the first year; about $46,000 of which is for tuition. After you have lived in Lewisburg for a while, you will be able to decide if you can live off of less, but better to take the max your first year if you don't have another form of financial support.

Talk to the WVSOM finaid office b/c they are really helpful. And, feel free to ask any other questions that are weighing on your mind. This is a huge decision no doubt, so just remember to choose a place where you will be happy!

$76,000 for the first year? I thought FAFSA only covered $200,000 total? so in the end, you're still looking for private loans.

but i do thank you for your help. I will be in contact with WVSOM finaid. THanks again!

$76,000 for the first year? I thought FAFSA only covered $200,000 total? so in the end, you're still looking for private loans.

but i do thank you for your help. I will be in contact with WVSOM finaid. THanks again!

It is possible to not take out private loans. But it is not easy and it helps to have some money in savings already.
I took out the whole amount last year but then was very careful about my finances during the year. Now I dont have any private loans and I paid back part of what I took out last year.

It is possible to not take out private loans. But it is not easy and it helps to have some money in savings already.
I took out the whole amount last year but then was very careful about my finances during the year. Now I dont have any private loans and I paid back part of what I took out last year.

oh! ok that helps alot. thank you!

Since July the reasons to take out a private loan have gone done to 0. The new loan called the Grad PLUS loands are replacing the private loans as the best solution. These are NOT teh same as teh parent PLUS loans as undergrads get. These are to be used instead of private loans. The benefits are .. they can be consoldated unlike the private loans. They also have way less stipulations to be approved. Basically unless you have a bankrupcy, more than 90 days behind on a loan or are in default, you will be approved. This is unlike private loans which are based on credit ratings which look at your debt to income ratio which of course will be high since you are in school taking out 1000s of $$$.

The Grad PLUS can be used to pay for eveything after you reach the government max on your stafford loans.

I will never take out a private loan for any money during med school.