WVSOM rotations ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are their sites strong for 3rd year since its required to go to them? ANY direction or imput from Clinical ED staff on where to go for 4th year? I had heard that 3rd years sites were hit and miss. Just curious to see how friendly it is at WVSOM to go OUT of the area. Any help is appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

Can a Mod please move this to Osteo ? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw this post. Pretty much you are on your own in 4th year. But I found it easy to just pick up the phone and call programs for away rotations. As long as you can get a signed form from the program you want to rotate at, it gets put on your schedule within a couple days. The school is usually decent about getting the other paperwork taken care of.

My advice, get to know the clin ed staff during your first two years and they will take care of you in the 3rd and 4th. Typical Corporate golden rule stuff :laugh:

Ok going to sleep, got IM in the AM.

Are their sites strong for 3rd year since its required to go to them? ANY direction or imput from Clinical ED staff on where to go for 4th year? I had heard that 3rd years sites were hit and miss. Just curious to see how friendly it is at WVSOM to go OUT of the area. Any help is appreciated :D

well your sig says you're going to kc so none of the wvsom people are going to be falling over themselves to answer your question

well your sig says you're going to kc so none of the wvsom people are going to be falling over themselves to answer your question

I am debating still between WV and KC. Ill change if you want so your feelings dont get hurt.

I am debating still between WV and KC. Ill change if you want so your feelings dont get hurt.

At least one of the hospitals is Charleston Area Medical Center (Several Hospitals in the capital city). There are faculty members on staff at each of the hospitals whose job is to do nothing but teach. I know WVU sends students there. I can't testify to its strength as a teaching hospital, but it is strong as a general hospital.

At least one of the hospitals is Charleston Area Medical Center (Several Hospitals in the capital city). There are faculty members on staff at each of the hospitals whose job is to do nothing but teach. I know WVU sends students there. I can't testify to its strength as a teaching hospital, but it is strong as a general hospital.

Thank you for your response. I view it as a significant positive if WVSOM faculty is present to teach you medicine at all of the hospitals on their site lists. Thats impressive.

Thank you for your response. I view it as a significant positive if WVSOM faculty is present to teach you medicine at all of the hospitals on their site lists. Thats impressive.

My understanding is that these are WVU faculty members. I'm not sure if the WVSOM students have access to them as well. Being big on rural medicine, I doubt they have teachers at each site. I don't know though.

My 2 cents:

I did 3rd year rotations when “statewide campus” was optional and so I set up all of my own rotations. I did all but one rotation in state at various sites. Now you are required to do all of your 3rd year at one site/group of hospitals in a particular region of the state, with 4th year being left up to you.

Yes, these rotations can be hit-or-miss. Some sites are literally in the middle of nowhere and you will spend most of your time with just a small group of physicians who may or may not be into teaching. If you don’t particularly like your group though, you’re sort of stuck with it. Other sites are in larger cities with bigger hospitals, more procedures to see, structured teaching, shelf exams, etc. But your chances of having a crappy preceptor there is just as good, so a lot of it is luck. I don’t honestly know about WVSOM faculty working at CAMC, I imagine it is mostly WVU.

It also depends on what you are looking to get out of your clinical education- that definitely shapes your perception. If you are interested in and want to experience rural primary care medicine then you will likely thrive in that type of setting during 3rd year. If you are more sub-specialty/research minded I would try to stick to the bigger places obviously.

Hi Driver Doc,
I think I talked with you earlier.

CAMC has alumni there. So when we had cardiovascular system, predominatly we had alumni come back to give talks on their field. For example, one guy, Takubo, was very talaneted. There is a mixture of WVSOM and WVU residencies there. [Edited note: I am hearing that Charleston is very very demanding - and the alumni who are there expect you to take both WVSOM and WVU boards and shelf exams - and this year the people who were rotating there really had some hard test. It was a rough academic year for those at CAMC. Needless to say, I heard the alumni were not happy with our performace this year.]

At some of the other large hospitals, such as Martinsburg - I think that, that hospital has alumni that are predominantly from WVU. I don't know about the veterans hospital center there. Martinburg looks to be a really great place - but only 8 or 9 people can go there.

We used to rotate at Morgantown, but that was a long time ago. Morgantown is WVU's town. The Mountaineers are very crazy for their football - they burn many couches whenever there is a football game. The hospital there is very excellent - but we don't go there anymore. We have residencies there - but we don't rotate there...:confused:

The other sort of large hospitals are in Parkersburg and Clarksburg. The natives tell me that Clarksburg is very good - and I got a pretty good vibe about that place.

As for me, I am going to Beckly for third year rotations. I'll be headquatered at Raleigh and a VA hospital there, and there's another hospital, but I have know idea about it (comes to show how in touch with reality I am huh? :eek:) No fooling around.

Anyway, Raliegh doesn't have a residency program there - which I guess is bad because you ought to have some sort of exposure to the residency heirarchy and you should see attendings and residents work together - that way you have some idea for what residency is like. On the good side, it without residents there, you get one on one attention with the doctor. That can be the greatest thing on earth - or if you screw up - then you are trully in trouble; or so I heard. Raliegh has only 220 beds, so it's not too big. The hospital is very very crowded and it feels very busy (at least when I visited it) The place looks old, not like some of the other base sites like Clarksburg or Parkersburg or Martinsburg which are much more posh.

There are two really small rural sites too. Petersburg and Logan are very small - and I kid you not - but these are lonely places. I cannot fathom for the life of me how some of my classmates where so earger to go to Petersburg.

Logan is a little bigger than Petersburg - and there is a lot of crime in Logan county. Tons of overdose, drug addiction, and a lot of social problems there. Which makes for a great ER rotation. I remember there being a select crowd of ppl wanting to go there for that very reason - but also there were 4 or 5 ppl that had no choice but to go there - and they were upset.

There is also what is called a Northen and Southern tristate program. The Northern program sends you to urban Ohio, Michigan and rural WV. This is good if you are a big city cat - but the downside is that there is very little staff or connection to WVSOM should a problem arise - and there is bound to be problems. What if you and your preceptor don't get along? That has happened in the past - or what if there was a death in your family and you need to travel back home? And you are a nomad - moving from hospital to hospital.

Now some people are totally into the travelling thing - and if you are then Northern and Southern tristate seems to be a good thing. Southern tristate is a brand new thing. So we thought it was shaky and when it was time to choose where to go, only 2 people where daring enough to go that route. I think it is Alabama, Mississipi and Virginia. But they might change that to Alabama, North Carolina, and South Carolina...?

Anyway, when it was time to choose, there is what we call a lottery system. So you place your name down at where you want to go to. Out of about 180 people, I recall that 10 - 15 people did not get to go where they wanted - and they had to go to a different lottery. So about 5 or 6 people had to go to Logan - and they were really upset that they didn't get what they orginally wanted.

There are other base sites, but I am not really the person with the inside scoop to everything. I am only a humble cat that lives at the school library. It seems like Huntington and Asheland are popular too - but I don't know anything about those places. Huntington looked pretty nice, but I can say very little about it first hand.

Overall the selection process for 3rd year is great if you got what you wanted, and most did - but if you were one of those 10 or 15 people ...man...boy...what a bummer that must be. I tried to talk some of those people into going for Southern tristate - but they were set on not becoming a nomad. If I were one of those people, I would have become a nomad, hedge my bets, and take a chance and go out of state to the northern or tristate program.

I'm really looking forward to my 3rd year. Just get me away from these books.

catsandcradles, thank you for that helpful response!