WVSOM vs ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicejewishboi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
WVSOM:
Pros:
-Older and more established
-Non-Mandatory attendance
-#1 for rural Primary care (want to do IM)
-Big school, lots of students (and lots of alumni)
-Beautiful campus, big SIM lab
-Happy students

Cons:
-Far from home
-Rural state = smaller hospitals
-Expensive to fly home
-More expensive cost of living

ACOM:
Pros:
-Brand-new facilities
-Dothan is a bigger city, down the street from SAMC
-Lots of strong matches
-Cheap cost of living
-Faculty all seem very enthusiastic
-Bigger hospitals in AL in general

Cons:
-Small alumni base
-Doesn't have well well established residencies
-Attendance policy
-Dress code

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to the school that you felt would fit you the best. Cheaper schools, good rotations and matches, no mandatory attendance, less emphasis on OMM are usually preferred, but no school will ever be perfect, and you always end up having to trade one or two of these for another.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Oh yeah. I’m also currently deciding between these two schools but leaning more towards WVSOM because of its established roots, matches, attendance policy, anatomy lab, and the school vibe.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn’t the cost of living in Lewisburg cheap though? That’s what I was told during my interview.
That's what I thought too, but talked to some students and most of them pay like 800 a month for their room.

Oh yeah. I’m also currently deciding between these two schools but leaning more towards WVSOM because of its established roots, matches, attendance policy, anatomy lab, and the school vibe.
Me too, but I'm not sure how Alabama's big hospitals and great rotation sites will play into that. Seems like that's a really big plus.

Last edited:
That's what I thought too, but talked to some students and most of them pay like 800 a month for their room.

Me too, but I'm not sure how Alabama's big hospitals and great rotation sites will play into that. Seems like that's a really big plus.
Hmmm. The students I spoke to said they pay around 500 a month (given they share a house with 2-3 other people, but she also mentioned it’s a big house).

One girl said she pays 800-900 a month because she lives in a “nice” house alone.

But for me, it’s still comparable to ACOM since the “campus” housing is also around the same price if not more.

Hmmm. The students I spoke to said they pay around 500 a month (given they share a house with 2-3 other people, but she also mentioned it’s a big house).

One girl said she pays 800-900 a month because she lives in a “nice” house alone.

But for me, it’s still comparable to ACOM since the “campus” housing is also around the same price if not more.
Right, I see what you're saying. But besides the cost of living, how would you compare them based on matches? Aren't they both focused on rural primary care?

Right, I see what you're saying. But besides the cost of living, how would you compare them based on matches? Aren't they both focused on rural primary care?
By matches, I mean the location of matches, (I live in Northeast so closer to home), also I look at how "prestigious" the residency program is that students match into.

Yeah both schools are for sure rural primary care driven but so is every DO school for the most part. BUTTTT WVSOM was rated the #1 in rural primary care ;)