WVU Pre-interview form: Ordinance Violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyers777

Reaction score
Hi! I was very excited to receive an II from WVU but I'm having a bit of a trouble figuring out how to answer one of their questions on the pre-interview form: "Have you ever been criminally or civilly charged with any action related to the use or misuse of drugs, alcohol, or illegal chemical substances?".

Now, 4 years ago during my high school senior trip, I received a municipal ordinance violation ticket for being a minor in possession of alcohol (still makes me cringe). This was supposedly equivalent to a parking ticket and I paid the fine off from the ticket and did not have to go to court nor was I arrested. As a naive 18 year old, I blindly followed the cops' reassurances that it wouldn't go on my record and wouldn't "keep me from being the next president". Regardless, I've had no issue saying "no" to questions that asked if I committed a crime (this wasn't a criminal offense) but the wording in this question is getting me. I believe this municipal ordinance violation could be considered a "civil charge"? Should I play it safe and disclose the ticket I received just in case it does show up on a record somewhere? I have also paid to receive my certiphi background check just to see if it shows up there. Never thought I'd have to worry about this years later, but here I am. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was very excited to receive an II from WVU but I'm having a bit of a trouble figuring out how to answer one of their questions on the pre-interview form: "Have you ever been criminally or civilly charged with any action related to the use or misuse of drugs, alcohol, or illegal chemical substances?".

Now, 4 years ago during my high school senior trip, I received a municipal ordinance violation ticket for being a minor in possession of alcohol (still makes me cringe). This was supposedly equivalent to a parking ticket and I paid the fine off from the ticket and did not have to go to court nor was I arrested. As a naive 18 year old, I blindly followed the cops' reassurances that it wouldn't go on my record and wouldn't "keep me from being the next president". Regardless, I've had no issue saying "no" to questions that asked if I committed a crime (this wasn't a criminal offense) but the wording in this question is getting me. I believe this municipal ordinance violation could be considered a "civil charge"? Should I play it safe and disclose the ticket I received just in case it does show up on a record somewhere? I have also paid to receive my certiphi background check just to see if it shows up there. Never thought I'd have to worry about this years later, but here I am. Thanks for any help!
I'm also interviewing at WVU in Feb and have a civil violation for underage possession of alcohol and was wondering if it came up on yours. Any feedback would be great!!

I seriously doubt admitting to possession of alcohol on a senior highschool trip that occurred 4 years before would hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at WVU awhile back and filled out that same form. I marked yes and described an underage alcohol IA I received freshman year of college. Neither of the interviewers ever brought this up although I am sure they saw it. I took this as a sign that they did not think it was a big deal. I would air on the side of safety and report it- the chances are good that they won't even care enough about it to bring it up. Good luck at WVU!

Reactions: 1 users
Ah actually got accepted in the couple hours since I posted this! So yea- set your mind at peace and disclose it. They seem to keep an open mind when judging these things.

Reactions: 3 users
Ah actually got accepted in the couple hours since I posted this! So yea- set your mind at peace and disclose it. They seem to keep an open mind when judging these things.
Congrats!!!! They must not have cared at all lol

Reactions: 1 user
I cannot imagine that an ordinance violation will show up on a background check. What did yours say?

Misd/felony would as they’re reported to the national database. Regardless, go with honesty and own it. It’s not a big deal.

-police

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Yeah I was also wondering if it shows up on a background check. Do you think other schools care about it or are they all pretty open minded?

They may ask to avoid getting burned by someone who has a string of charges (for much worse that MIP) that have gone away because someone in the family has a lot of political pull. If such an applicant was admitted and then got into trouble and created a public relations nightmare for the school, the university would be asking how the med school missed this and admitted someone who was clearly a liability. I'm not talking about the sort of thing that the OP did but a long record of using and dealing narcotics, etc.

Reactions: 2 users