WVU vs. Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelseafan132

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some guidance here.

I am from Morgantown, WV (where WVU is located) and I attended WVU for undergrad. Now trying to decide between staying for medical school or going to Penn State in Hershey. I'm not sure what I want to specialize at this point.

WVU
Pros:
- much cheaper (130K over 4 years)
- family close
- I am familiar with the faculty and have an ongoing research project

Cons:
- have been in Morgantown for my whole life (feels a little stale)
- slightly worse reputation compared to PSU

Penn State
Pros:
- slightly better reputation
- humanistic approach
- only 3.5 hours away from home
- new people to meet

Cons:
- much more expensive (280K over 4 years)
- Hershey seems pretty boring

The biggest difference is cost. Does anyone think it's worth 150K more over 4 years to go to Penn State? I do want to have a "new" experience and branch out, but I'm not sure if Hershey would get old, fast.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally don't think $150k is worth a new experience. You'll have residency for that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stay in west virginia. I dont think penn is worth that much more extra debt.

My only real concern would be that future residencies will look at me and think "they never left their comfort zone (WV)" and they may question my diversity of thought. Do Step scores really squash where you went to medical school / undergrad that much?

My only real concern would be that future residencies will look at me and think "they never left their comfort zone (WV)" and they may question my diversity of thought. Do Step scores really squash where you went to medical school / undergrad that much?
Getting into a medschool is a feat within itself. I don't think they will know whether you even had the option of going elsewhere for medschool, and do not believe it will hold you back for residencies.

I personally don't think $150k is worth a new experience. You'll have residency for that.

... at least, Hershey isn't worth a $150k experience. You can get the chocolate at any grocery store.

Stay with WVU.

Sincerely,
Someone who would desperately love to get off WVU's waitlist.
AMCAS ID: 1234444

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Save the money and save even more money by living at home (if you can handle your family :)

If you're itching to try some place new, keep in mind that you can apply for summer research positions between M1 and M2 that are away from WV. You'll also likely be able to do away rotations in 4th year.

Personally, I love rural areas, but if you're looking for novelty, Hershey would probably get old pretty fast. I've never been to Morgantown but I'm going to venture to guess that it's pretty similar to Hershey.

Edit: Forgot to say congrats!!!