WWhy is Dexter a sociopath WW game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thanks SOV! Fun game. I thought the wolves were goners after having such a great start, but Devyn & Dyachei did great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, just a note on game design..

Because there are so many detectives on the show and policemen etc, I was in a quandary of how to provide meaningful roles. So I decided on roles that had limited uses and roles that gave non-direct wolf information.

The funny thing is the villagers all used up their roles around the same time and often on the same people so they wiped out the original wolves quickly, but had nothing left to use later in the game.

Also, this game had a weird flow of people revealing all the roles, so the best roles were killed off methodically by the wolves leave a bunch of powerless villagers in the end.

The BIG flaw in the "everyone release their roles" strategy is conversions. Yes you will get all the original wolves quickly (and did), but then the wolves know who to kill and leave the conversions to pick you apart.



Also... big KUDOS to LIS for being a mayor as a pseudo-wolf and lasting so long. He was investigated and returned "serial killer" the FIRST NIGHT, and lasted almost to the end. That is some fancy footwork there!
 
My only regret is that I was lynched before I got to use my plethora of powers. That would have messed with the wovles heads (and probably villagers too) hardcore!

Yeah, that was a bummer. A lot of the structure revolved around your abilities.

I included WTF's role as a counterbalance to your conversion to evil. I figured it would happen more at the end of the game, and then you had more of a chance for Brother Sam to be dead and slip into evil unnoticed.
 
Bwahaha! I KNEW the pinkies had a win condition! Knew it!

first draft of the game they did not, but it seemed unfair to be that mean to them, so I gave them a chance. I never thought they would survive though, because original wolves rarely make it to the end of the game, and I thought people would lynch them, thnking them to be wolves.

My original plan was not to show any difference between pinkies and wolfies.

Unfortunately, with labrat revealing all the names to DocE, I didn't think it was fair not to distinguish them from the real wolves in the writeups. Hence the "pinkies" were born (btw, the color says magenta on SDN, not pink).
 
Great game SOV!!! Surprised I lasted as long as I did as a convert and was able to talk my way out of two lynches.... we thought the wolves were goners after 3 were lynched in a row.... but we held on! 😀
 
first draft of the game they did not, but it seemed unfair to be that mean to them, so I gave them a chance. I never thought they would survive though, because original wolves rarely make it to the end of the game, and I thought people would lynch them, thnking them to be wolves.

My original plan was not to show any difference between pinkies and wolfies.

Unfortunately, with labrat revealing all the names to DocE, I didn't think it was fair not to distinguish them from the real wolves in the writeups. Hence the "pinkies" were born (btw, the color says magenta on SDN, not pink).

Sniff sniff...hence my early demise....And there was no real way to defend myself that early and when I was asleep.

Good game to watch though SOV! You and your crazy brain :meanie:

On to the next!!!
 
Non-aligned killers: You are serial killers who generally cannot kill! You may PM each other. If you have numerical superiority, you win!

As clarification, this is not the verbiage we were sent at game start! The exact verbiage we got (along with a list of our roles/abilities), was: " You are all killers, except in true SOV-hates-it fashion, you are mostly toothless killers. As usual, if you have numerical superiority.. .you win! "

In retrospect it's obvious that we weren't wolves and were a separate group (the biggest clue isn't the "toothless" part - it's stopping and asking "where the hell are the MAJOR killers in the game?"). I know it's hard for people to 'go back' and try and imagine how they would have reacted getting that PM (it's easy to say "Duh - it says toothless killers", but....). Out of all the games I've played, that's the first time I can ever remember getting a group PM (like wolves), with nasty characters (like wolves). Especially, the "as usual, ..." comment made me think "Oh. I'm a wolf." At the very least, when I realized some of the true nasties weren't in our group, I just figured we were a second group of wolves. The 'toothless' part just confused me rather than clarifying that we couldn't kill as a group - we really did send in a first night PM to kill someone.

So we really truly did think we were wolves. Basically, everything I said during the game was true with the exception of denying that we had a special win condition.

Awesome game, SOV. I loved all the interconnectivity between players. In the future (again, retrospect at work) I'd try to be clearer when you have a potentially confusing role/roles. If I were the only one confused I'd chalk it up to just me being dumb; but all of us in the pinkies were confused so it seems more likely to be lack of clarity.

All in all, an excellent, fun game. I had fun trying to figure out how to get rid of the wolves AND villagers, all without being able to kill (other than JJ and my one-time kills) directly. We came closer than I figured we would.

Orca - sorry again. I really was surprised to get elected mayor and felt I'd better steal a villager role right away to avoid being lynched on Day 2 as Lila. 🙂 I hate to take out a player like that on night 1.
 
Last edited:
Great game, SOV!

I don't actually think my role was useless--I just thought it became so after most of the police force got killed off quite early. I didn't think Lundy would be in the game. I also thought LaGuerta had the same power as I would have had (investigate to see if police officer) so I was paying close attention to who WS was clearing :laugh:

Interesting about me getting converted if Dexter did--I suppose that would've shaken things up a bit.

Loved the dream sequences!! It was confusing at first but I'm glad I got to participate. The villagers were so confuzzled at the end (as I would've been too) that it got a bit slow. 'Specially when DocE got killed. 🙂

All in all I had a blast. It was fun to explore the characters of one of my favorite TV shows in a different light.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wouldn't have been that early if not for a certain Doc person revealing you!

I think if you guys didn't strip him of his role (ahem, LIS) he wouldn;t have bitten you in the arse!

That was a total cluster.... you know what.

LR didn't mention to us he/she was talking to DocE and our moves were made in a lot of confusion the first night. I ended up just picking him because I figured of any of the people in the game likely to cause us trouble, he was high on that list. When you confirmed that he would not know who had stolen the role ... it just seemed convenient to strip him of whatever power he had. 🙂

I would not have used that ability immediately like that, though, if it weren't for being elected Chief. Based on some comment you made in a PM (I forget what it was now, but it led me to think "oh ****, I'm going down on day 2) I decided to burn up the Chief's ability so it wasn't available to my replacement.
 
Also, just a note on game design..
Also... big KUDOS to LIS for being a mayor as a pseudo-wolf and lasting so long. He was investigated and returned "serial killer" the FIRST NIGHT, and lasted almost to the end. That is some fancy footwork there!

Haha! I figured there were conditions to the serial killer thing, so I was afraid to lynch Lis so soon, just in case he was Dexter. Then I died before I could find out anything more.
 
Haha! I figured there were conditions to the serial killer thing, so I was afraid to lynch Lis so soon, just in case he was Dexter. Then I died before I could find out anything more.

I am not at all sorry that I watched you go down in flames knowing you were Angel and most likely a seer, the wolves had planned on killing you that night anyway so the villagers did us a huge favour.

Also, LIS I was rather positive your group had an alternative win condition, it made sense. Oh and LR was so obvious a choice to kill, I was just hoping SOV wouldn't give her the resurrection since we were killing her... Turns out killing her was by far the best decision because it had you and Doc arguing with one another and ignoring everyone else... 🙂
 
. In the future (again, retrospect at work) I'd try to be clearer when you have a potentially confusing role/roles. If I were the only one confused I'd chalk it up to just me being dumb; but all of us in the pinkies were confused so it seems more likely to be lack of clarity.
.
TBH, that was the point. I HAVE been in a group (at least twice) where I wasn't sure if I was a wolf or not, and I thought it was interesting (although we were wolves both times). So I TRIED to trick you into thinking exactly as you did. Sorry. Well, not really.
 
Interesting about me getting converted if Dexter did--I suppose that would've shaken things up a bit.

You were not to be converted, but in fact you were not a villager anymore. You wouldn't have counted as one at the end (although you were not a wolf either). You were just a lost soul who didn't know what the feck to think anymore (as Deb is constantly).
 
Thanks for the game, SOV. Figured I was toast by day 5 so I kept waiting for someone to investigate and see that I had become liddy.

Ha ha. The last time you PLEADED with me to keep your Cody name, I actually knew the only remaining person who could ID you was about to die so I wasn't exactly sympathetic to your cause.

I was pretty sure the conversions were going to be hard to find, but I figured you would lose a close game at the end.

I do think the whole Doc vs LIS thing completely distracted the villagers. :laugh:
 
You were not to be converted, but in fact you were not a villager anymore. You wouldn't have counted as one at the end (although you were not a wolf either). You were just a lost soul who didn't know what the feck to think anymore (as Deb is constantly).

Oh I see...that makes a lot of sense considering Deb's character. I mean...she doesn't really DO that much in the show.
 
Good game wolves, one question how did you manage to kill both kpowell and myself in one night? was not expecting to die while my protector was still alive and my role unknown on the thread
 
Good game wolves, one question how did you manage to kill both kpowell and myself in one night? was not expecting to die while my protector was still alive and my role unknown on the thread

If I killed a linked person, the person they were linked to was also die. We used me for the killings at first, since that was my only benefit, and I didn't have an alias if seered. I had to PM him to ask why you were still alive at first.
 
If I killed a linked person, the person they were linked to was also die. We used me for the killings at first, since that was my only benefit, and I didn't have an alias if seered. I had to PM him to ask why you were still alive at first.

that would have worked for cody-astor as well (if hedgie was dead). and 1 other (I forget).
 
By the way, I never thought those dream sequences would stir up so much discussion. They truly were invented because I was bored and wanted some of the dead posting people to stay involved. 😛

And no one seemed to comment on my fictitious "item distribution" comments the first 2 nights. I was very disappointed there weren't more "I didn't get an item" comments until I actually invented the dream item! 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By the way, I never thought those dream sequences would stir up so much discussion. They truly were invented because I was bored and wanted some of the dead posting people to stay involved. 😛

And no one seemed to comment on my fictitious "item distribution" comments the first 2 nights. I was very disappointed there weren't more "I didn't get an item" comments until I actually invented the dream item! 🙁

I just figured I wasn't special enough to get one :laugh: I'm looking forward to a decent sleep tonight. I've been on edge and stressed out the whole weekend, particularly last night. Thanks again!
 
By the way, I never thought those dream sequences would stir up so much discussion. They truly were invented because I was bored and wanted some of the dead posting people to stay involved. 😛

And no one seemed to comment on my fictitious "item distribution" comments the first 2 nights. I was very disappointed there weren't more "I didn't get an item" comments until I actually invented the dream item! 🙁

:laugh: The wolves actually made mention at one point about items because none of us had received one and there had been no talk about them at all. We wondered for a brief second if there even were any items, but other than that one time we just forgot about it.
 
Good game wolves, one question how did you manage to kill both kpowell and myself in one night? was not expecting to die while my protector was still alive and my role unknown on the thread

The wolves knew all of the roles by about day 4 or 5... minus you and devyn. We figured one of you was linked to kpowell and we knew kpowell was the protector... so kill kpowell... 2 for 1 deal. 🙂
 
Notice. DocE wants to help pinkies and be a great ally. Lis decides I'm most likely to cause trouble for them. Strips me of role. I cause trouble.

I cannot escape my innate ability to cause LIS hardship.

ROFL. There was a lot of craptastic moves made because of confusion. Had LR told us you were associated with him earlier I would never have stripped your role. But that was long done before LR posted a message in our google doc along the lines of "Um, guys, I sorta told DocE who we all are."

In the end you were never really "on our side" because we needed both villagers and wolves to die. It was tough balancing that and avoiding getting lynched all at once, especially without the ability to kill.
 
TBH, that was the point. I HAVE been in a group (at least twice) where I wasn't sure if I was a wolf or not, and I thought it was interesting (although we were wolves both times). So I TRIED to trick you into thinking exactly as you did. Sorry. Well, not really.

Eh. This is just ... me debating ... but I'd be cautious doing that. TOO much trickery by a mod just makes me want to throw my hands up and say "Meh. I'm just gonna rng every vote and see what happens." I mean... yer game, you get to do what you want, and frankly I always love the writing and plots in your games, but sometimes too much 'trickery' is ... too much.

*shrug* Dunno. I think there's two sides to it, I guess, is all.
 
By the way, I never thought those dream sequences would stir up so much discussion. They truly were invented because I was bored and wanted some of the dead posting people to stay involved. 😛

And no one seemed to comment on my fictitious "item distribution" comments the first 2 nights. I was very disappointed there weren't more "I didn't get an item" comments until I actually invented the dream item! 🙁


Those dream sequences were awesome. Very fun addition.

I never talked about items because after a few turns when none of us pinkies had one I just concluded there were no items (or they were extremely limited).
 
Eh. This is just ... me debating ... but I'd be cautious doing that. TOO much trickery by a mod just makes me want to throw my hands up and say "Meh. I'm just gonna rng every vote and see what happens." I mean... yer game, you get to do what you want, and frankly I always love the writing and plots in your games, but sometimes too much 'trickery' is ... too much.

*shrug* Dunno. I think there's two sides to it, I guess, is all.

SOV and I were in a "pseudo wolf" group in a game and I recall you being very adamant against getting rid of our group.... We couldn't kill either... minus my every third night but that was only because I decided to join the group.
 
SOV and I were in a "pseudo wolf" group in a game and I recall you being very adamant against getting rid of our group.... We couldn't kill either... minus my every third night but that was only because I decided to join the group.

Dr. Who?

I remember SOV almost throwing tantrums in that one. And I was highly entertained (as a converted wolf).
 
Really enjoyed the game and the fact that the wolves won after the villagers picked 3 of us off in a row is amazing!

😀

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The wolves knew all of the roles by about day 4 or 5... minus you and devyn. We figured one of you was linked to kpowell and we knew kpowell was the protector... so kill kpowell... 2 for 1 deal. 🙂

I was so sad to be killed 🙁 I really enjoyed this game SOV!!!!
 
Awesome game SOV!

And I should have stuck with my original gut of lynching Devyn. :laugh: I had no idea about Dyachei, though.

Good job, wolves!