This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey,

I was accepted last year but had to defer because of my mom's ill health. I'm supposed to be starting school this August but I don't know if I want to anymore. This past gap year was really eye-opening and it made me realize that I don't actually want to become a doctor and am more interested in dentistry. My question is, how do I go about explaining this to my school given the fact that I sent them a letter last year asking for a deferral? I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Just call them and tell them you are withdrawing I would think. Sorry you lost the passion to pursue medicine. Do you just really like teeth or was there something that happened that made you change your mind?
 
Hey,

I was accepted last year but had to defer because of my mom's ill health. I'm supposed to be starting school this August but I don't know if I want to anymore. This past gap year was really eye-opening and it made me realize that I don't actually want to become a doctor and am more interested in dentistry. My question is, how do I go about explaining this to my school given the fact that I sent them a letter last year asking for a deferral? I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Let them know now so that they can adjust their expectations regarding the incoming class.
They will understand.