Yale Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjg17

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there are Cornell, Harvard, and Columbia "waiting" threads I figured Yale needs one...

I'm guessing we will get decisions by March 20th...what's your guess?
I'm hoping it's not over my spring break

Members don't see this ad.

IIRC? sorry I don't follow...

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC = if I recall correctly and yah, March 23 is the expected date for decisions to come out (this date came from the admissions director so it's pretty reliable)

Thanks! I'll try not to panic until a couple days before March 23rd :D

So, the 23rd is when we should expect an e-mail either way? Yikes.

So, the 23rd is when we should expect an e-mail either way? Yikes.

Well, from past threads it appears that emails are reserved for acceptances only. All else is snail unfortunately :thumbdown:

I've heard that Yale accepts very few at first (150 or so) and waitlists almost half. Also, Yale likes to get exactly 100 (no more, no less). From last years numbers they accepted 220 out of 750. From talking to the director the day of my interview though this year they are going to interview 900 or so.

Is it unusual to get a personal email from admissions telling you they received your update letter? I sent in my update letter 3 weeks ago and got a reply shortly after telling me they received it.

Is this standard protocol? I hope I'm not reading to much into this..

Is it unusual to get a personal email from director of admissions telling you they received your update letter? I sent in my update letter 3 weeks ago and got a reply shortly after from the director telling me they received it.

Is this standard protocol? I hope I'm not reading to much into this...

it's standard.

Anyone have any idea as to when the big meetings take place? There's something very recent that I was thinking about updating Yale with, but, is it too late? Might as well write asap, I suppose...

the final ranking lists of each interviewer are due tomorrow to the committee, the big meetings are this week and next, and the final meeting is the beginning of the wk of the 19th.

(fotografía: mándalo por correo de prioridad. ¡buena suerte!)

Can you explain the ranking system. Does each interviewer rank all applicants or just the applicants s/he interviewed. Does the rank pretty much decide final decisions?

I agree, send your letter priority (tomorrow) and you should make it in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe each interviewer first assigns a rank to each individual applicant (tomorrow), then a broad rank is assigned to each applicants through the committee meetings (this week, next week). HTH.

the individual ranking from both your interviewers as well as the subsequent discussion in committee will determine the final decision.

Can you explain the ranking system. Does each interviewer rank all applicants or just the applicants s/he interviewed. Does the rank pretty much decide final decisions?

I agree, send your letter priority (tomorrow) and you should make it in time.

Wow, thanks for the info! You sure do know a lot. I am starting to think you are on the admissions committee...jk ;)

the final ranking lists of each interviewer are due tomorrow to the committee, the big meetings are this week and next, and the final meeting is the beginning of the wk of the 19th.

(fotografía: mándalo por correo de prioridad. ¡buena suerte!)

¡Muchísimas gracias Angelique! :)

Im getting excited :) :)

Does anyone know if these decisions are e-mailed or mailed?

Really? I've sent 3 update letters and I've never had one response or confirmation :(

I have yet to send an update letter to anyone. I have received some scholarships and published since my application, but i can't think of a good way to word this in a letter. Also, I have apprehensions about being that annoying person i met at several of my interviews that felt that they needed to assert such things.

Anyhow, about how long are these updates and what are you putting in them (i.e. what is significant enough to warrant an update letter)?

I have yet to send an update letter to anyone. I have received some scholarships and published since my application, but i can't think of a good way to word this in a letter. Also, I have apprehensions about being that annoying person i met at several of my interviews that felt that they needed to assert such things.

Anyhow, about how long are these updates and what are you putting in them (i.e. what is significant enough to warrant an update letter)?

I feel you on this one. This whole process makes me want to take a shower to wash my application sins away. But, you gotta send the letters (as long as some significant things have happened--which in your case seems true). I just sent a letter saying that I just wanted to update them about what I've done since my interview. Short, simple, to the point. No bribe attempts or blubbering. Just simply say, "Please. Please, I need to update you."

i believe each interviewer first assigns a rank to each individual applicant (tomorrow), then a broad rank is assigned to each applicants through the committee meetings (this week, next week). HTH.

the individual ranking from both your interviewers as well as the subsequent discussion in committee will determine the final decision.

It sounds like Yale heavily weighs the interviews. I remember during my interview, he mentioned that they only look at the gpa and mcat scores pre-interview. Once you receive the interview, he claimed its more subjective, making me think it really comes down to the interview. However, I don't know if he was just pulling my chain or psychoanalyzing me. What do you guys think?

It sounds like Yale heavily weighs the interviews. I remember during my interview, he mentioned that they only look at the gpa and mcat scores pre-interview. Once you receive the interview, he claimed its more subjective, making me think it really comes down to the interview. However, I don't know if he was just pulling my chain or psychoanalyzing me. What do you guys think?

Wow, this is interesting. I feel like throughout the app process, I keep hearing from schools that the interview is only a piece of the puzzle. The problem is that it's so hard to read how you did...

Anyway, you guys gung ho Yale system? I thought it was awesome.

I can't imagine the adcom would blind themselves to numbers post interview, but if any top school would do this, I suppose Yale would. It struck me as the type of place that puts in a lot of effort to hand pick students that fit in personally, and would thrive in the Yale System. I suppose one can't make those decisions based on numbers. I did feel that my interviews were taken very seriously there. One even lasted 1.5 hours!! Both knew my app inside and out...

fotografía;4883769 said:
I can't imagine the adcom would blind themselves to numbers post interview, but if any top school would do this, I suppose Yale would. It struck me as the type of place that puts in a lot of effort to hand pick students that fit in personally, and would thrive in the Yale System. I suppose one can't make those decisions based on numbers. I did feel that my interviews were taken very seriously there. One even lasted 1.5 hours!! Both knew my app inside and out...

I noticed that too. One of my interviewers was asking me questions about my dad's apprenticeship (listed under training for his job), which I knew nothing about. It was really odd.

bump.. looking forward to yale decisions

:luck: :luck: :luck:

hey guys,
yeah, I have heard similar things from other people about the importance of the interview at Yale.

So from talking to other people who have contacted admissions, I have been told the latest date we will hear is March 26th...keeping my fingers crossed for this one. my top choice since sophmore year...I can't wait to find out (we'll so long as it is an acceptance ;)

hahah yea now that harvard is out, yale's it for my ivy league dreams. i think there are probably quite a few in the same boat as me. next week can't come fast enough.

I feel you on this one. This whole process makes me want to take a shower to wash my application sins away. But, you gotta send the letters (as long as some significant things have happened--which in your case seems true). I just sent a letter saying that I just wanted to update them about what I've done since my interview. Short, simple, to the point. No bribe attempts or blubbering. Just simply say, "Please. Please, I need to update you."

haha! I think we all will be doing the same thing after all this is over...the waiting is killing me...we'll I guess I can wait 1 and half more weeks...I just need to find something to keep me busy. I'm just going through the motions with school work, so i need to pick up a hobby. I'm thinking of writing a autobio. heck, after writing all these essays for med school I have enough for the first 5 chapters. :laugh:

haha! I think we all will be doing the same thing after all this is over...the waiting is killing me...we'll I guess I can wait 1 and half more weeks...I just need to find something to keep me busy. I'm just going through the motions with school work, so i need to pick up a hobby. I'm thinking of writing a autobio. heck, after writing all these essays for med school I have enough for the first 5 chapters. :laugh:

We had to write a 10 page autobiography for class this year and there are sections in it that are just combining secondary questions and my personal statement. :laugh:

We had to write a 10 page autobiography for class this year and there are sections in it that are just combining secondary questions and my personal statement. :laugh:

Wow, that worked out perfect for you...I wish I could say I put all those essays to good use (we'll other than for med school...which is of course worth the work)

Well, I will hold on them for now. They could help a lot for residency aplications
:idea:

hahah yea now that harvard is out, yale's it for my ivy league dreams. i think there are probably quite a few in the same boat as me. next week can't come fast enough.

same boat here for Harvard and Yale, not too happy about that whole financial aid log-in thing, but I'm not giving up on Harvard until I get a thin envelope in the mail

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope"

good luck

same boat here for Harvard and Yale, not too happy about that whole financial aid log-in thing, but I'm not giving up on Harvard until I get a thin envelope in the mail

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope"

good luck

yes sir, there is always the hope of the waitlist. it aint over till the fat lady sings; appropriate since march madness starts tomorrow. all hail the cinderellas! never give up!

So I guess this thread is going to be active now that Harvard decisions have been mailed out

Welcome to another round of waiting!:rolleyes:

Hahaha, yup. Count me in. Login failed at Harvard, putting my eggs in Yale's metaphorical basket.

Yeah man. I'm sure March has been killer for a lot of people. For me, Columbia, UofM "march highly desirable", Cornell, Harvard, WashU brutal brutal brutal. I was looking at your MDApp and surprised you didn't get an auto-interview from UofM.

Well, good luck.

Yeah man. I'm sure March has been killer for a lot of people. For me, Columbia, UofM "march highly desirable", Cornell, Harvard, WashU brutal brutal brutal. I was looking at your MDApp and surprised you didn't get an auto-interview from UofM.

Well, good luck.

yea dude mich really hacked me off. a friend of mine with worse stats than me who goes to an ivy got an auto-invite. i just hate the pretense that they seem to give off in their online chats that they have hard numerical cutoffs for the auto-interviews.

anyway, here's to good news next week.

EDIT: also, it is truly a bitch to see those ****ty chickens coming home to roost this month. im sorry about all the bad news; we'll get through it, i suppose.

yea dude mich really hacked me off. a friend of mine with worse stats than me who goes to an ivy got an auto-invite. i just hate the pretense that they seem to give off in their online chats that they have hard numerical cutoffs for the auto-interviews.

anyway, here's to good news next week.

EDIT: also, it is truly a bitch to see those ****ty chickens coming home to roost this month. im sorry about all the bad news; we'll get through it, i suppose.

Meh. Ann Arbor sucks anyways.

You didnt happen you have a psychologist for an interviewer did you?? I loooved that guy!

Another HMS "login failure" here. Yale was always my top choice from the start though. Please please please send me a fat package! :)

I've started to give up hope post-interview at top schools though, given my record:

UCSF: waitlist
Stanford: waitlist
Hopkins: waitlist
Columbia: rejected
HMS: rejected or waitlist?

I did feel like I had my best interviews at Yale though. At this point I just want the madness to end...

fotografía;4894629 said:
Another HMS "login failure" here. Yale was always my top choice from the start though. Please please please send me a fat package! :)

I've started to give up hope post-interview at top schools though, given my record:

UCSF: waitlist
Stanford: waitlist
Hopkins: waitlist
Columbia: rejected
HMS: rejected or waitlist?

I did feel like I had my best interviews at Yale though. At this point I just want the madness to end...

I'm with you guys:
Duke: rejection
UMich: waitlist
Cornell: waitlist or rejection
HMS: waitlist or rejection?

Yale was always a top choice for me, though. Here we go with the wait...

I'm with you guys:
Duke: rejection
UMich: waitlist
Cornell: waitlist or rejection
HMS: waitlist or rejection?

Yale was always a top choice for me, though. Here we go with the wait...

Itrain: let's hope this means that we are ultimately meant to go to Yale :D

count me in too!:D

I'm in the same boat. Another Harvard's login failed here. And yay, March has been the most brutal month for me now... Good luck to everyone here...:)

:scared: :eek: approx. 8 days until we find out:eek: :scared:

And I thought I was on edge.

Dang, you guys have had some brutal March's. I would take some solace in the fact that your waitlists will probably pan out because the interviewees for all those schools are a lot of the same people (I've heard UCSF's high priority list has strong movement). Good luck to all waiting for Yale! We've agreed that acceptances are e-mail, right?