Yale Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I looked at last year's waitlist thread for Yale, and it seemed like a good number of people got in off the waitlist. It was a tiered, and it sounded like they're honest with you about your chances. Not that anyone on this thread would be waitlisted, but just in case, it's not the end of the world. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I've never called an admissions office because I just haven't had a compelling reason to do so yet.

What do you tell them?

'Hi, I'm waiting to hear back about whether or not I was accepted after my interview. When will you send decisions out?'

We'll for one, I haven't called Yale admissions since my interview so this isn't something I do/did lightly. Second, when I call I am very polite and simply tell the person who picks up the phone (who is usually someone on the admissions staff, rarely the director or dean so it's not as nerve racking) that I am a current applicant and would like to know if there is a prospective date that applicants will know a decision regarding their application. In two or three words they reply. I say thank you and they say have a nice day. simple. not too complicated. ;)

Edit: As you can tell by reading SDN a lot of applicants do this. It almost never hurts you and in some rare cases can actually help because it shows that you are interested in the school. I read a thread a while back about a kid who after being waitlisted sent in like 5 letters updated admissions and called almost every month to find out the status of his application. He was eventually accepted. This is simply anecdotal, but I do believe it can help in certain cases to call and ask these type of questions. After most of my interviews I was told to call if I had any questions.

I looked at last year's waitlist thread for Yale, and it seemed like a good number of people got in off the waitlist. It was a tiered, and it sounded like they're honest with you about your chances. Not that anyone on this thread would be waitlisted, but just in case, it's not the end of the world. :scared:

They seem to waitlist a good number of applicants because they send out few acceptances at first. They do this to ensure they will get a class of exactly 100.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it seems the consensus is that acceptances are e-mails, and waitlists/rejections go by snail. Does anyone know for sure which means are used for each?

So, it seems the consensus is that acceptances are e-mails, and waitlists/rejections go by snail. Does anyone know for sure which means are used for each?

This is what happened last year.

Anybody have a link to last year's thread?

It seemed like last year and in years past they have initially put some people on a high priority waitlist via snail mail, which is separate from the regular 3-tiered waitlist. It seemed like anyone who stayed on this list was accepted pretty quickly, as in before May 15th and regular wailtlist movement.

My student host said that the high priority waitlist is really just a deferred accept, everyone on it was offered a place last year, they could even come to 2nd look weekend, etc.

My student host said that the high priority waitlist is really just a deferred accept, everyone on it was offered a place last year, they could even come to 2nd look weekend, etc.

so.... what the heck is the point of it?

fotografía;4921482 said:
so.... what the heck is the point of it?

They are being careful not to overaccept I guess....with Yale's smaller class size and all...

Are they done sending out interview requests? :confused:

What's so hard about sending an f'ing rejection letter? :mad:

I don't know but it's really a pain in the ass when schools don't do that. It's like dating: goddamit, I need closure

Members don't see this ad :)
oh and 2 days

woah, woah. who's excited/nervous like no other?

Sources indicate that letters will be "mailed" on Friday. This includes all decisions and they said that everything will be by mail, not email. We all know that admissions often says one thing and does another, but I hope this helps.

Sources indicate that letters will be "mailed" on Friday. This includes all decisions and they said that everything will be by mail, not email. We all know that admissions often says one thing and does another, but I hope this helps.

What sources? This would be a departure from years past if true.

300px-Irwin_Libby_060212a.jpg

hopefully your source is fibbing too, I'd rather hear by e-mail if I got in rather than stalk my mailman more than I already am...

if positive decisions go out by email, someone is bound to post on this thread about getting one, so we'll know for sure by the end of friday.

They say that all decisions will go out by mail every year...look at previous yr's threads...yet they always send out emails for accepts. What I found interesting is that someone posted that they got a small envelope even though they got in...but I guess if you're receiving an email, you know beforehand.

title says it all. Excited for friday, good luck everyone!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Got rejected from Harvard today (Duh! :laugh: hahaha), so now I'm anxiously awaiting Yale's Decision!!!! :scared:

so Yale rejections and waitlists come by smail mail while acceptances come by email at approxiametly 1 pm est?

Just 1 more day.......

and some hours:D

Good luck to all of you
:luck: :luck:

I just got mine, too!

Yes!!! Email received at 4:32pm!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG accepted. :D :D :) :)

WOOOO! Feel the love from Handsome Dan!

Ack. Yale Accepted Student's Email: "Second Look Weekend for accepted applicants will take place on Thursday and Friday, April 26-27."

That's the same weekend as Harvard...

Me too! What the heck?? Oh my god! I'm so blindsided right now! What happened to March 23?? I have a feeling they made a terrible mistake. I don't like that it's not personalized! It's making me really paranoid!

yea wow i didn't even know that yale was emailing today (for some reason, i thought it would be friday) so i was totally caught off guard when it came...!

Crimson: Was that an MSTP acceptance for you?

WOOOO! Feel the love from Handsome Dan!

Ack. Yale Accepted Student's Email: "Second Look Weekend for accepted applicants will take place on Thursday and Friday, April 26-27."

That's the same weekend as Harvard...

In as well! Woot woot!

are all these e-mails timestamped at the same time? So if we didnt get an email its safe to say we did not get in?

Now everyone needs to go to Rudy's when they visit New Haven :). (By the intersection of Howe and Elm Street.) Get frites with 3 sauces. Samurai, California, Mango Madness, and Aioli are good ones to start with...

My roommate got in MD only.

I, apparently, have been waitlisted/rejected :-(

mine was timestamped at 4:32 pm EDT

Edit: this was in reply to marcusdrs

and congrats everyone!! I really hope this email was not a joke..lol.

Congrats to you guys!!!

For me it's another top school, no go. :cool:

i don't think all the time stamps are the same. my email had a 4:42pm time on it.

excellent choices, thesmartazz. rudy's is quite the institution.

Now everyone needs to go to Rudy's when they visit New Haven :). (By the intersection of Howe and Elm Street.) Get frites with 3 sauces. Samurai, California, Mango Madness, and Aioli are good ones to start with...

I just got it too. Beautiful surprise. Congrats to you all.

Congrats to you guys!!!

For me it's another top school, no go. :cool:

I'm right there with you, ltrain...... oh well. :(

I think it's time for me to post in that worst interview:acceptance ratio thread.

Congrats to everyone else! :)

How large was the email?

Dear ***************:

Congratulations! You have been accepted into the MD/PhD program at the
Yale University School of Medicine. Your official acceptance letter was
mailed this afternoon. We are sending this e-mail to make sure you
receive this wonderful news right away.

Also, we want to alert you to the fact that our annual Second Look
Weekend for accepted applicants will take place on Thursday and Friday,
April 26-27.

Activities on Thursday, April 26, begin in the afternoon and include a
session with Dean of Student Affairs, Dr. Nancy Angoff, a special MD/PhD
faculty-student reception, a student art show and activity fair, a
multi-media "student showcase" in Harkness Auditorium, group dinners in
some of New Haven's celebrated restaurants, and a very special "Club
Pre-Med" party in Marigolds.

On Friday, April 27, breakfast with Dean Robert Alpern opens a terrific,
all-day program that includes seminars, faculty discussions, and a
reception with the Admissions Committee. On both days, there will be
tours of Yale and New Haven, including on-campus and off-campus housing
options.

We hope you will be able to attend Second Look Weekend, where you will
have a chance to learn more about the School, mingle with students and
faculty, and meet many of your future classmates. Additional details,
including overnight hosting information, will be sent shortly.

Congratulations again on your acceptance. Please let us know if we can
be of assistance in any way.

Sincerely,

Laura Ment, Jim Jamieson, & Richard Silverman
--
Laura R. Ment, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions

James D. Jamieson, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, MD/PhD Program

Richard A. Silverman
Director of Admissions

Yale University School of Medicine
Tel: (203) 785-2696
Fax: (203) 785-3234

Congrats to those who got in, hope to see you at second look, it should be a good party. (I'm an YSM MS1). Message me with questions, I really like it here. For those who haven't heard, stay positive. I got in off the wait list, and there were about 80-100 offers off the wait list last year.

In for MD program! Woohoo!

Congrats to everyone who got in!