Yale Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd like to think the interviews have so much weight, because mine were really great (but then again I'm sure my interviewers are just super nice). But when I was at Yale I heard a current student say the interviews didn't matter that much; he had some so-so ones but still got in.

Members don't see this ad.

fotografía;4894890 said:
Itrain: let's hope this means that we are ultimately meant to go to Yale :D

I would be beyond thrilled to get into Yale or UCSF. But I also understand that the probability of getting into a top school probably isn't independent between schools. And, in that vein, I've been given a sign, you know? I think it's better for my mental health for me to realize that.

So we'll see...I hope so!

Best of luck to everyone :luck:

Come on Yale... Your one of the best schools for Md/MPH and global Health care.....

I love you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, you guys have had some brutal March's. I would take some solace in the fact that your waitlists will probably pan out because the interviewees for all those schools are a lot of the same people (I've heard UCSF's high priority list has strong movement). Good luck to all waiting for Yale! We've agreed that acceptances are e-mail, right?

According to last year's thread, acceptances all came by email around 1pm, waitlists and rejections came by mail. waitlist is a tiered waitlist. first tier on waitlist was in all probability looking at an acceptance down the road.

hope hope hope hope hope.

Jeez, we even have the exact time worked out, it is going to be one nerve wracking day.

we'll since I know that time now, I might as well skip class and just check my email every .2 seconds between 12:30p.m. EST and 1:30p.m.EST:D

we'll since I know that time now, I might as well skip class and just check my email every .2 seconds between 12:30p.m. EST and 1:30p.m.EST:D

That was last year's time, though. Wonder what will happen this year...

All I know is that I'll be checking sdn religiously to know if decisions are released before I check my e-mail that day.

Boola boola

Harvard_poster.jpg

Are we sure they aren't running behind? Some schools with established "we'll tell you by this dates" have been a few days behind schedule....which makes checking my email nerve-racking for days! Anyone talked to admissions recently?:)

Are we sure they aren't running behind? Some schools with established "we'll tell you by this dates" have been a few days behind schedule....which makes checking my email nerve-racking for days! Anyone talked to admissions recently?:)

When I called a week and a half ago to switch my address I was told that they were sending out decisions on the 23rd. I don't know if it's changed since then.

OMG! That's earlier than I thought! Didn't acceptances go out on like 4/1 last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else have a positive and very optimistic conversation about your chances for admission with Dean Silverman at the end of your interview day? I definitely had a spring in my step when leaving that day as a result, but later found that such conversations are not too uncommon with Dean Silverman, since he is so friendly and really down-to-earth.

actually, i had a very end-of-willy-wonka-like experience when i talked to dean silverman at the end of the day. he was alone typing on his computer, which had dozens of post-its covering all plastic parts of his monitor, wearing his vest. of course, he didn't hand me the keys to yale or show me his super-duper elevator, but he did seem very tired and ready for me to leave. but he was nice about it.

Just FYI, Mr. Silverman is the director of admissions not the dean of admissions.

my bad. i knew he wasn't a doctor, but forgot that he was director and not dean of admissions.

anyhow, 5 more days.. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Just FYI, Mr. Silverman is the director of admissions not the dean of admissions.

ah, touche. what do you think the merits of making the admissions pooh-bah a non-MD, non-PhD are?

So how much of a role do you think Mr. Silverman plays in admissions? He does go at length to do those public "mini-interviews"...

Please note, he does not give everyone the "public interviews." He appeared to do it when he felt an area of our application needed additional personal clarification.

fotografía;4909776 said:
So how much of a role do you think Mr. Silverman plays in admissions? He does go at length to do those public "mini-interviews"...

Man, I hope those mini-interviews don't hold too much weight. I got there 15 min late (after taking the train I was specifically told it was okay to take by the interview coordinator...she had told me I might be a little late but they would know why) and Mr. Silverman immediately asked me a loaded question, which I stumbled over until he said "10 sec or less, please." Then at the end of the little intro session he said "thanks for all getting here on time...except for one."

Ugh.

Man, I hope those mini-interviews don't hold too much weight. I got there 15 min late (after taking the train I was specifically told it was okay to take by the interview coordinator...she had told me I might be a little late but they would know why) and Mr. Silverman immediately asked me a loaded question, which I stumbled over until he said "10 sec or less, please." Then at the end of the little intro session he said "thanks for all getting here on time...except for one."

Ugh.

wow, that's harsh :eek:

Ugh.

Wow. That's pretty harsh... maybe he was just making joke? Richard Silverman seemed like kind of a quirky, but friendly guy. He definitely studies every applicant's file before interview day and asks some pretty specific questions... whether those "mini-interviews" have much or anyway pull in the final decision, who knows? Like a couple have posted above me, Richard Silverman is the director of admissions. Seems more like an administrative position than dean of admissions (who is Dr. Laura Ment, btw). So your guess is as good as mine about the inner workings of Yale SOM admissions. However, SDN seems to thrive on just that kind of guessing and speculation! :laugh:

Ugh.

Omg, I remember you...

good luck this week!

Was it clarified if the acceptances are for sure e-mail? Much luck to everyone.

Wow. That's pretty harsh... maybe he was just making joke? Richard Silverman seemed like kind of a quirky, but friendly guy. He definitely studies every applicant's file before interview day and asks some pretty specific questions... whether those "mini-interviews" have much or anyway pull in the final decision, who knows? Like a couple have posted above me, Richard Silverman is the director of admissions. Seems more like an administrative position than dean of admissions (who is Dr. Laura Ment, btw). So your guess is as good as mine about the inner workings of Yale SOM admissions. However, SDN seems to thrive on just that kind of guessing and speculation! :laugh:

Haha...yeah, Silverman is a total joker. I spent this past summer summer doing research at YSM in the BioSTEP program, so I know him fairly well. Don't worry about his off-color comments...he's totally nice, but a bit eccentric. His position is mostly administrative...he doesn't make any decisions or head the committee: he's basically a paper pusher that makes sure everything gets done on time.

Ugh.

I think that's a joke :laugh:

He strikes me as a very funny relaxed guy. And he is remarkably familiar with everybody's application. I think that's pretty cool.

Omg, I remember you...

Ha, I thought I might lose a little anonymity with that one.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else want to entertain while we wait?

Nothing entertaining to speak of....but I have a call for action! The Duke and Harvard pages are ridiculously long. What say we rally and muster a little enthusiasm for Yale! Maybe not 20 pages worth, but at least a bit more for this truly fabulous school. :rolleyes:

I'm new to this thread.
Just like all of you I'm desperately waiting for Friday.
Good luck to all of you :luck:

and..

A little bit of luck for me too :laugh:

Did people send letters of interest to the director or the dean?

I sent thank you/update to Richard Silverman, hope that accomplishes the purpose.

i sent thank-u emails to the interviewers but not to silverman; i didnt bother sending a letter of intent cauz i figured that for a majority of the interviewees this was their top choice, and for the most part, yale knew this...so it wouldnt really have much of an effect...idk that was my reasoning..

Did people send letters of interest to the director or the dean?

Is it just me or does the whole business of sending thank you letters, updates, letters of intent, etc. seem a bit too contrived and fake? Furthermore, if everyone does it, then in reality it means nothing....alas, I did the whole "thank you note" thing as well, so i'm just a ranting hypocrite. :idea:

Is it just me or does the whole business of sending thank you letters, updates, letters of intent, etc. seem a bit too contrived and fake? Furthermore, if everyone does it, then in reality it means nothing....alas, I did the whole "thank you note" thing as well, so i'm just a ranting hypocrite. :idea:

Agree wholeheartedly.

However, I still sent a letter of interest/update (a one-two punch, if you will) to Mr. Silverman. I sent it about 2 weeks ago, so who knows if it even got there in time to make a difference.

I sent a thank you card to each of my interviewers. i was really impressed by the students faculty and school. I loved Yale!

So are we all in argreement that on friday, we're going to have to sit in front of our emails and click on refresh 5000 times?

Yep. Welcome to club. It's going to be a fun day. :rolleyes:

So are we all in argreement that on friday, we're going to have to sit in front of our emails and click on refresh 5000 times?

I have another interview on the 23rd
I guess that is going to either help me get through the day or I'll be aswering the wrong questions...

- interviewer: Why do you like our school?
- CubanDoc: I think that the Yale system is great. :eek: :eek:
- interviewer: We are really Sorry but we are rejecting you right now.

I have another interview on the 23rd
I guess that is going to either help me get through the day or I'll be aswering the wrong questions...

- interviewer: Why do you like our school?
- CubanDoc: I think that the Yale system is great. :eek: :eek:
- interviewer: We are really Sorry but we are rejecting you right now.

Oof! Yeah, don't do that... Happened to me back when I was doing rapid fire interviews back in October. Was coming off of an interview at Vanderbilt and while in a Dartmouth interview, I accidentally said Vanderbilt instead of Dartmouth... was a bit "aww crap..." in my head as the interviewer was like "well I don't know about Vanderbilt, but here at Dartmouth.."

But oh wells... ended up getting an acceptance from Vandy later that month and still no word from Dartmouth other than a "your file is still being reviewed" snail mail last month. Heheh, taught me to not just rely on coffee for those West Coast to East Coast time zone changes.

I rejected thank-you notes this year, though I did send a few emails to interviewers at different schools to include some other information about things I had read or that they had asked me during the interview but that I didn't have an answer for.

I didn't send anything after my first two interviews. It just seemed odd. Sure I had a great time, but I guess they hear that from everyone. So I'm just hoping they remember my bright and shiny face. h

Called Yesterday. Decisions will be sent March 23rd. 3 days left to go!

Called Yesterday. Decisions will be sent March 23rd. 3 days left to go!

I've never called an admissions office because I just haven't had a compelling reason to do so yet.

What do you tell them?

'Hi, I'm waiting to hear back about whether or not I was accepted after my interview. When will you send decisions out?'

do we still think the email thing is going to happen?